E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Instrument cluster not working

08-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
LeeToy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 335i, BMW e39 540i

Instrument cluster not working

Hi!
Maybe someone here could help with my problem.

I bought a 2007 e91 335i which had a fire damage in the trunk. The right side boot lid harness was burnt but otherwise there was no damage in the harnesses. I replaced the burnt harness and the car seems to function pretty OK except for instrument cluster.

So the symptoms are:

At the first sight it seems that the cluster isn't working at all, however:
1. When the trip odometer stem is pressed the cluster shows mileage, temperature and clock.
2. If I disconnect and reconnect the battery or cluster fuse, all the gauges and indicator lights work. Warning lights are still off. This works for the first start but after I turn the ignition off, cluster won't work anymore.
3. If I disconnect and reconnect cluster fuse, it quickly flashes ALL the cluster lights. So there is no burnt lights etc..
4. When the cluster works like in the step 2, the car also indicates about SOS emergency call error. However my antenna cables are off because those where damaged. The error is also shown at the navigation screen.

I have diagnosed the problem with INPA and ISTA and can submit the info from those if it's needed. However the information isn't very clear yet because the car isn't fully assembled yet. So it throws errors from speakers etc. (I wonder if that can cause some problems). From ISTA control unit tree I can see that KOMBI and CCC aren't responding at all.

Any ideas? Thanks! 😊
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 05:47 AM   #2
LeeToy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 335i, BMW e39 540i

UPDATE
Something magical happened and step 2 is changed. Now when I disconnect and reconnect the fuse, the cluster fully works (all the lights light up and no KOMBI related error codes). However it still works only for the first start. When I remove the key and wait couple of minutes the cluster is dead again.
There is also little change at step 1. When I press the odometer stem the two bottom screen texts are orange. Those were black/white before.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 02:34 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Virtually everything displayed on the KOMBI Instrument Cluster results from signals sent to the KOMBI via the K-CAN bus. Likelihood of FAULT(S) in your K-CAN bus wiring (Orange/Green wire and Orange wire) which is scrambling/disrupting the bus signals between Modules.

Since you have ISTA, FIRST steps should be to post ISTA ScreenPrints for:
1) Control Unit Tree, showing ALL Modules in vehicle, color-coded; I presume the KOMBI and CCC are RED? That indicates either a power supply/Ground issue, OR a bus communication (to the JBE Hub) issue.

2) Fault Memory List for ALL Fault Codes in ALL Modules;

3) For any "Message" fault or Bus Communication Fault, view, Save & Attach the "Fault Details" or Freeze Frame Data for each such Fault.

4) Please describe as precisely as possible the location of the wiring harness and/or modules/components which were damaged by the fire, and if an electrical fire, where you believe it originated and its cause.

5) Please provide Last-7 Characters of your VIN. MANY changes in vehicle electrical system, JBE, JB, E-box contents, as of 3/1/2007 in middle of 2007 model run.

See attached pdf: ISTA "Fault Memory & Test Plan" for example screens, HOW to access them, and HOW to save them as jpg files for future reference and attachment here.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fault Memory & Test Plan.pdf (1.61 MB, 24 views)
Appreciate 1
fazm616.50