E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bad DME or something else cause my no start??

11-03-2023, 06:00 PM   #1
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i

Garage List
Bad DME or something else cause my no start??

Cranks like a champ and almost fires but doesnt...

All started after changing intake and exhaust timing gears. Messed up the timing the first time being lazy and not pining the flywheel but after running like crap we retimed it correctly. Somehow in the few days before we retimed it something happened....

ISTA runs just fine with no issues and shows zero codes. Passes all functional tests I can think uf that doesnt require engine to be running.
ISTA/P can connect and code and reflash all modules including DME without issues.

Ive replaced plugs, HPFP and injectors. Compression test was good and fixed a few small vacuum leaks after a smoke test.

Ive gotten the car to start a couple times after fresh plugs, clearing codes and letting it sit with battery disconnected for a while but it was only a couple times and I cant reproduce that consistently.

After cranking a few times the plugs are completely black and a strong fuel smell on them and from in the cylinder. Also when the car did briefly run there was a strong fuel smell from the exhaust. I feel like like something is allowing the injectors to stay full open and the engine is just flooding every time it cranks but but not sure how to test or prove that...

Could a bad DME some how be causing that even though I can flash it in ISTA and winKFP with no issues or errors.

I have also tried installing my cobb to see if the map from the stage 1 tune would override the dme and fix a fuel map issue but that didnt work either..

Any other ideas I could try before I pull the trigger and order a DME??? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 06:03 PM   #2
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If you got an idea I can run tests and post screen shots from ista or anything included in the BMW tools download!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 08:04 PM   #3
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
heres a few screen shots of DME stuff and one of injector readings from INPA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 09:22 PM   #4
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
ok got it to start and gave a few codes... vin code could be a issue with reflashing the dme but since it starts im not super concerned with that right now. I cant imagine both cam sensors went bad so what could cause them to both not read...??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 09:32 PM   #5
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
this harness bolts to the block with 2 bolts... Im not sure when but i broke the head off 1 of them so its only bolted on by the bolt on the right. I looked at it and it doesnt seem to be a ground. Just an attachment point with as metal grommet in a plastic housing. both cam sensors come off this harness though but other sensors on that harness seem to be working correctly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:50 PM   #6
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
bump
Appreciate 0