E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How do you justify changing BMW Suspension?

05-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

How do you justify changing BMW Suspension?

Hey,

I need some information with regards to BMW Suspension. I know a lot of people switch over to aftermarket springs/shocks and/or coilovers. But what I really want to know is how do you justify changing BMW suspension?

Considering that BMW is a pretty well designed machine, I’m sure their R&D department did spend a good chunk of time figuring out what’s best for the car. So how do you reason that changing the suspension to aftermarket coilovers so the car sits low for example is a good idea?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
woot335woot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Hey,

I need some information with regards to BMW Suspension. I know a lot of people switch over to aftermarket springs/shocks and/or coilovers. But what I really want to know is how do you justify changing BMW suspension?

Considering that BMW is a pretty well designed machine, I’m sure their R&D department did spend a good chunk of time figuring out what’s best for the car. So how do you reason that changing the suspension to aftermarket coilovers so the car sits low for example is a good idea?
Lower center of gravity, height adjust-ability, dampening adjust-ability, aesthetics...

Most* companies who develop these suspension kits do their R&D as well and take the stock set-up into consideration. A reputable coil-over set will outperform and out-style a stock set-up 9/10 times.

If you think BMW is the only company who can make BMW suspensions, then stick with them!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Its really quite simple.

If you really want to stand out form the crowd and demonstrate your of a finer automotive petigree then you start modifying the car.

This way it demonstates that "Your special" in a way that other bmw buysers are not.

I have sport on my coupe. That makes me more elevated in status than non sports.

To then trump that, you are then even more elevated with mods to the suspencon. . Its important that you also try to demonstrate the mod and that is why the care if further lowerd. This way it has a more agressive stance. In alpha male terms that makes the driver more fierce even though the drivers lowered "fierceness" is often financed by another.

Being "Lower, stiffer (a-hem) and being able to "out perform" stock is the goal.

Why is out perform so important? Penis size?

When a 335i roars is sink furhter into my seat knowing my wife is that much less satisfied with my cars "performance".

actually "More is better" in just about everything. So why not suspensions?

Maybe the question is "when is enough"?

When your happy?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargamon View Post
Its really quite simple.

If you really want to stand out form the crowd and demonstrate your of a finer automotive petigree then you start modifying the car.

This way it demonstates that "Your special" in a way that other bmw buysers are not.

I have sport on my coupe. That makes me more elevated in status than non sports.

To then trump that, you are then even more elevated. Its important that you also try to demonstrate the mod and that is why the care if further lowerd. This way it has a more agressive stance. In alpha male terms that makes the driver more fierce even though the drivers lowered "fierceness" is often financed by another.

Any hater of that is deemed being envious.

So thats the protocal for improving the suspension.
HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

A lowered suspension also means you have a above avrage penis and you are not afraid to use it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

BMW suspensions must be able to accommodate a broad range of customer needs and are therefore set up to be on the soft side. The sport suspension also must be softened slightly for the average driver. Additionally including top-notch suspensions is pricey. Aftermarket coilovers offer a no-compromise track solution if you are looking for this (and will definitely outperform the stock suspensions) or a similar ride to stock albeit lowered. The pricier kits offer perks such as adjustable ride height and firmness which the limited price of the car usually prevents from being included stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Anybody can justify anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
woot335woot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Its really quite simple.

To then trump that, you are then even more elevated with mods to the suspencon. . Its important that you also try to demonstrate the mod and that is why the care if further lowerd. This way it has a more agressive stance. In alpha male terms that makes the driver more fierce even though the drivers lowered "fierceness" is often financed by another.

Being "Lower, stiffer (a-hem) and being able to "out perform" stock is the goal.

When a 335i roars is sink furhter into my seat knowing my wife is that much less satisfied with my cars "performance".

When your happy?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
kcballinsd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 6MT Coral Red

Quote:
Its really quite simple.

When your happy?
this is hilarious
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

You are right that BMW has huge R&D that figures out what is best.

The key here is that they figure out what is best for the average driver, not for performance. R&D is going to make the car an all around driver.

There is always a tradeoff between comfort and performance. The majority of buyers want luxury smooth ride conditions. This does not usually fit in with performance and a stiffer suspension.

If BMW wanted to design the car for straight up performance you would have a stiffer ride and feel more of the road, this would hurt them in sales because the average driver would dislike the test drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

Quote:
Its really quite simple.

When your happy?

It's all about penis size for alphas.
      05-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Its really quite simple.

When your happy?
Hilarious +5
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
doubleIN
atlien
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Hey,

a lot of people go with aftermarket suspensions because the stock or even sport BMW suspension is not low enough for their taste. and with respect to handling, with the stock or sport suspension, even though its been developed by BMW, its designed for the mass market which prefers ride comfort over handling to some degree. so there's some body roll that you will feel when taking turns at high speed, due to the softer suspension

I wanted a lower and stiffer suspension but like you I felt that no one knows the car better than BMW so I went with the BMW performance suspension. The ride height isn't anywhere near as low as the cars that are slammed but the handling is improved a great deal and it's lower than the sport suspension, so to me it's exactly what I was looking for. I do like the look of cars that have virtually no wheel gap, but considering the pot-hole infested roads, railroad crossings and steep parking deck ramps that I drive on it's just not a good idea.

so if you're considering modifying your suspension but you want to stay OEM, BMW performance is a good option. other people put on M3 suspensions but I'm guessing that is more expensive than the BMW performance setup
      05-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
PSEE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

...he said petigree...

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

It's all about what people want to do with their cars. BMW is designing their cars for a broad market, so elements of their cars are built on compromise and balance, which is especially true of suspension. Suspension can be optimized for minimum body roll and very fast recovery, which is great at the track but results in a very harsh ride. Or it can be optimized for a very cushy "driving on a cloud" feel, which feels comfortable but is horrible for handling. BMW is playing the middle ground to maintain their sense of luxury and practicality while also keeping the handling feel their brand has become known for.

People who install aftermarket suspensions tend to do so in order to get better handling at the cost of ride comfort.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I modified/tuned my suspension so that my input would more accurately be transmitted to the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
People who install aftermarket suspensions tend to do so in order to get better handling at the cost of ride comfort.
I'd say the majority of people on E90Post (at least the ones that create threads about it) do so to lower ride height. And that's fine and all, though too many of those people do it with springs.
      05-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

justification is easy: If you don't like something, change it.

Everyone has different tastes, and may not like what BMW thinks we like.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargamon
Its really quite simple.

When your happy?
This guy is hilarious. #1 in my book.
Alpha males justify lowering their car for 3 primary reason.
1-To show penis size or a lack there of.
2- Attract the opp. sex.
3- Low rider feel like they live in Cali.
4- To please their eyes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

omfg... this thread is hilarious
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Its really quite simple.

?
I don't do it for any of that. In fact, I think modding a car for status is kind of sad. No offense of course.

I like a car that performs exceptionally well, and BMW's stock suspension, particularly after some miles, performed poorly. I think it handled small bumps too harshly, and was too soft in hard cornering conditions. I think it also negatively affected the braking, as the nose dive unevenly distributed weight to just the front brakes.

The aftermarket setup I'm using was also well engineered. It fits my needs much better than stock, with a flatter more sporty feel during driving, and a compliant, comfortable ride over typical imperfections.

The looks was also part of it, no doubt. THe xi's stance is too tall and uneven, but that was last on the list, and was really a bonus given the other factors.

I couldn't care less about status. I bought a BMW because I'm a driver, and this is a driver's car. The suspension just wasn't where I wanted it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

How does one justify switching out All Seasons or Runflats for high performance tires? I mean, they are made for "all" seaons and don't go flat.

Simple, just like tires, OEM suspensions are made for the 99% majority that will be driving these cars up and down the highway to and from the mall and grocery stores. For most, BMW's have a very sporty suspensions, but for the fewer than 1% (forum enthusiast), it could use a HUGE upgrade. Oh, and if you are going to do a suspension, do it for performance purposes, not aesthetics. If you must do it for aesthetics alone, don't cheap out and buy 1/2 an upgrade and purchase only springs.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #21
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
auto makers build suspensions for many reasons, bmw is one of the better ones. they are pretty well known for their ability to build a car that handles well. i drive an 11 335, i love the car but i think its weak point is the suspension. if i were to modify this car in any way i would start there, i believe the suspension is the weak point on purpose, so that bmw can sell you their "performance" parts and also to set it apart from other models such as the m3, bmw wants you to feel the difference when you test drive both the 335 and the m3. most people who "modify" their cars do it for looks or they get sucked into the marketing scheme of the word "performance" or other words like that, putting coil-overs on your car is not going to get you better lap times, and lets face it isnt that what "performance" really is, how fast your car can do something. if people really wanted to increase the "performance of these cars they should probably start with tires, then an lsd, then sway bars, then shocks, and then springs, but if you want it to look cooler just get springs or coils. so there is your answer, you justify modifying your bmw suspension to look cooler.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #22
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Hey,

Feel
Better handling