E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > E91 LCI X-drive vibrations



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-15-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
Lovvi
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 330d xDrive M-package
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

E91 LCI X-drive vibrations

Hello,

my English is not the best, but I'll try to explain my problem with my '09 330d Xdrive. When I bought the car, there was small feelable vibration in steering wheel over 60mph. It gets worse over 70mph. What causes the vibration? I balanced the wheels, one wheel was a bit warped, but not that much it will cause the vibration. I changed both front CV axles, didn't make any diffrence. The front drive shaft is without any play, even drove without the front driveshaft. Vibration is still there. What should I check next?

Regards.

Last edited by Lovvi; 07-15-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
nsjames
Captain
332
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: 08 328xi Touring
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

bushings.

suspension geometry changes will do weird things.
I would also look at the front driveshaft.
maybe even drop it and take it for a drive to see if there's changes.
and swap the tires front to rear for troubleshooting. Your bent wheel may be the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Lovvi
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 330d xDrive M-package
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

The steering wheel holds about 3/4 inch to the right also if I drive on highway, if this makes the troubleshooting better.
I drove without the front driveshaft, the vibration was still there.

Last edited by Lovvi; 07-15-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Yardie335xi
E90 335xi
United_States
10
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: E90 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovvi View Post
Hello,

my English is not the best, but I'll try to explain my problem with my '09 330d Xdrive. When I bought the car, there was small feelable vibration in steering wheel over 60mph. It gets worse over 70mph. What causes the vibration? I balanced the wheels, one wheel was a bit warped, but not that much it will cause the vibration. I changed both front CV axles, didn't make any diffrence. The front drive shaft is without any play, even drove without the front driveshaft. Vibration is still there. What should I check next?

Regards.
whats your tire set up?
__________________
Instagram @starrbwoyyhd E90 335xi|VRSF CP| BMS DCI| MHD Stage 1| Monaco Blue| Youtube @ StarrBwoyy HD
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
torrque
First Lieutenant
torrque's Avatar
75
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 335xi sedan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newton, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovvi View Post
The steering wheel holds about 3/4 inch to the right also if I drive on highway, if this makes the troubleshooting better.
I drove without the front driveshaft, the vibration was still there.
You need a wheel alignment if that's the case. Do that first, and then take it from there...
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi sedan 6sp manual - MHD stage 1, Helix stepped core intercooler
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack - Stock.
2001 VW Golf GTI VR6 - Giac stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
nsjames
Captain
332
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: 08 328xi Touring
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrque View Post
You need a wheel alignment if that's the case. Do that first, and then take it from there...
x2.

there may even bee some bent things in there. hit any curbs?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
Lovvi
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 330d xDrive M-package
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Bought the car like this. Going to make alignment tomorrow @ work.
Tires are 225/40 and 255/35, OEM Style 193 wheels 8J and 8,5J.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
frenchi
First Lieutenant
frenchi's Avatar
Bulgaria
53
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: E90 LCI 330xi M PACK
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: France

iTrader: (10)

steering rack ....known problem on x-drive
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
torrque
First Lieutenant
torrque's Avatar
75
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 335xi sedan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newton, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovvi View Post
Bought the car like this. Going to make alignment tomorrow @ work.
Tires are 225/40 and 255/35, OEM Style 193 wheels 8J and 8,5J.
xdrive should be square setup...
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi sedan 6sp manual - MHD stage 1, Helix stepped core intercooler
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack - Stock.
2001 VW Golf GTI VR6 - Giac stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
torrque
First Lieutenant
torrque's Avatar
75
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 335xi sedan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newton, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchi View Post
steering rack ....known problem on x-drive
no way no how will steering rack cause vibrations when driving....
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi sedan 6sp manual - MHD stage 1, Helix stepped core intercooler
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack - Stock.
2001 VW Golf GTI VR6 - Giac stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
torrque
First Lieutenant
torrque's Avatar
75
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 335xi sedan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newton, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovvi View Post
Bought the car like this. Going to make alignment tomorrow @ work.
Tires are 225/40 and 255/35, OEM Style 193 wheels 8J and 8,5J.
Make sure you do a 4 wheel alignment. They need to start on the rear on the xdrive, as (believe it or not), the rear can dynamically affect the front geometry...
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi sedan 6sp manual - MHD stage 1, Helix stepped core intercooler
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack - Stock.
2001 VW Golf GTI VR6 - Giac stage 1
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
Lovvi
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 330d xDrive M-package
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchi View Post
steering rack ....known problem on x-drive
There is no play in steering rack and no leaks.
Haven't had time to do the alignment.
Going to do it tomorrow if I have free time and I will update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrque View Post
Make sure you do a 4 wheel alignment. They need to start on the rear on the xdrive, as (believe it or not), the rear can dynamically affect the front geometry...
Most of the time you need to start from the rear, because the alignment bench calculates the front camber etc from the rear wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
rothwem
Captain
United_States
162
Rep
764
Posts

Drives: Used to be a 6mt E91
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arden, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I would check wheel balance. Vibration that increases with speed is a textbook wheel balance issue. I've also heard people say that since our BMWs run high caster, we're more likely to feel wheel imbalance. I'm not sure on the physics there, but whatever it is, I have noticed that BMWs are more sensitive to wheel balance, so maybe caster is the answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
torrque
First Lieutenant
torrque's Avatar
75
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 335xi sedan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newton, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
This too ^^

I had to balance my front wheels twice to get rid of some annoying vibration felt around 65 Mph.. Had to go to a newer, more precise machine.
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi sedan 6sp manual - MHD stage 1, Helix stepped core intercooler
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack - Stock.
2001 VW Golf GTI VR6 - Giac stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #15
Lovvi
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 330d xDrive M-package
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

I have rebalanced the wheels many times, even tryed Style 95 wheels, still the same vibration. Did wheel alignment, didn't make any difference.
By the way, when braking the steering wheel doesnt shake anymore, when I let off the brake then it starts shaking/vibrating again.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #16
nsjames
Captain
332
Rep
910
Posts

Drives: 08 328xi Touring
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

that's odd, and really points to either an alignment issue, worn bushings or some sort of hub bearing issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:11 PM   #17
drawz
Private
drawz's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrque View Post
xdrive should be square setup...
BMW shipped sport package 330xi and 335xi cars with a staggered setup from the factory. My 330xi has it - same setup as OP. The overall tire diameter needs to be within 1% (or something like that). If nothing else, to accommodate tire wear.

PS - where did you go to get your wheels balanced properly near Newton? With all the potholes, it seems impossible to keep them balanced anyway!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #18
torrque
First Lieutenant
torrque's Avatar
75
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 335xi sedan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newton, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
BMW shipped sport package 330xi and 335xi cars with a staggered setup from the factory. My 330xi has it - same setup as OP. The overall tire diameter needs to be within 1% (or something like that). If nothing else, to accommodate tire wear.

PS - where did you go to get your wheels balanced properly near Newton? With all the potholes, it seems impossible to keep them balanced anyway!
I go to Needham Shell on Needham street ... I like Joe and he's honest and true in his work. I do all my wheels/tires and stickers there.
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi sedan 6sp manual - MHD stage 1, Helix stepped core intercooler
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack - Stock.
2001 VW Golf GTI VR6 - Giac stage 1
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #19
drawz
Private
drawz's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrque View Post
I go to Needham Shell on Needham street ... I like Joe and he's honest and true in his work. I do all my wheels/tires and stickers there.
Thanks for the tip! I've seen him recommended on Facebook, but never by someone that seemed like an enthusiast. Will have to check him out.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST