E90Post
 


Lease SwApp
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > White Exhaust Smoke-Blown Turbos? (Video)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
DylanFulton
New Member
DylanFulton's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Barrie, ON

iTrader: (0)

White Exhaust Smoke-Blown Turbos? (Video)



I think I already know the answer, but I'd like to get a second opinion before I pull the trigger on a set of remanufactured turbos.
About two weeks ago I started noticing a bit of white smoke coming from my exhaust while coming to a stop, it doesn't seem to happen all of the time but it's gotten progressively more noticeable since then. I found I was able to replicate the smoke by holding the rpm around 2k (see video link). My first thought was head gasket but I don't seem to be using any coolant and it doesn't smell like it either, it smells more like burnt oil. Thus leading to my conclusion of the seals being on their way out.

Full disclosure, there are a couple of other issues going on but I believe them to be unrelated. I have a small leak in my valve cover gasket at the back of the motor, however seeing as the smoke is coming from the exhaust pipes I feel pretty confident in eliminating oil dripping on the dp being the cause. One of my downstream O2 sensors has been throwing codes intermittently but I really cant see the being the issue(2C7E/2C6B). However just yesterday I had multiple misfires on cylinders 2/4/5 which has never happened before then. This could definitely be related to the O2 issue but I figured the more info the better.

The car has about 205km (128k miles) with the original twins. Mods are; DCI, DP, FMIC, CP/BOV, OCC, cooler plugs, JB4/MHD bef.

Any suggestions to look into before pulling the trigger are appreciated, TIA.
__________________
IG: LeMansE90
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
buster84
Captain
United_States
145
Rep
948
Posts

Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (2)

That looks like blown turbos to me. Probably the seals are gone. If you pull the dowpipes and see oil on the exhaust side you will know 100% at that point.

Why remanufactured? You can get new turbos for pretty cheap these days. Theres even some with a lifetime warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
DylanFulton
New Member
DylanFulton's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Barrie, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
That looks like blown turbos to me. Probably the seals are gone. If you pull the dowpipes and see oil on the exhaust side you will know 100% at that point.

Why remanufactured? You can get new turbos for pretty cheap these days. Theres even some with a lifetime warranty.
Good idea, I would know for sure at that point.
I knew this day would eventually come so I was looking at upgraded twins or even ST if I felt like getting saucy. After putting some serious thought into it, I just can't justify the cost of a new kit to make it worth my while. I started looking at OE remans and came across a deal that's too good to pass up. I won't get anywhere near the numbers I was hoping to make, but a fresh set of OE snails certainly won't hurt the cars performance. Which softens the blow... a little
__________________
IG: LeMansE90
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
buster84
Captain
United_States
145
Rep
948
Posts

Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFulton View Post
Good idea, I would know for sure at that point.
I knew this day would eventually come so I was looking at upgraded twins or even ST if I felt like getting saucy. After putting some serious thought into it, I just can't justify the cost of a new kit to make it worth my while. I started looking at OE remans and came across a deal that's too good to pass up. I won't get anywhere near the numbers I was hoping to make, but a fresh set of OE snails certainly won't hurt the cars performance. Which softens the blow... a little
If you can wait a little, Vargas has a new single turbo option coming out that could be around 3k which could also drive down other prices.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
DylanFulton
New Member
DylanFulton's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Barrie, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFulton View Post
Good idea, I would know for sure at that point.
I knew this day would eventually come so I was looking at upgraded twins or even ST if I felt like getting saucy. After putting some serious thought into it, I just can't justify the cost of a new kit to make it worth my while. I started looking at OE remans and came across a deal that's too good to pass up. I won't get anywhere near the numbers I was hoping to make, but a fresh set of OE snails certainly won't hurt the cars performance. Which softens the blow... a little
If you can wait a little, Vargas has a new single turbo option coming out that could be around 3k which could also drive down other prices.
That's good info, I'll look into it
__________________
IG: LeMansE90
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 09:05 PM   #6
wrrush
Private First Class
16
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

white smoke doesnt always mean blown turbos, you could have a coolant leak. or a mix of collant and oil into the engine, doesnt always mean to jump to turbos.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Cabdriver's Avatar
21
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrrush View Post
white smoke doesnt always mean blown turbos, you could have a coolant leak. or a mix of collant and oil into the engine, doesnt always mean to jump to turbos.
I agree, you might have coolant finding it's way into the combustion chamber and or mixing with the oill. Do yourself a favor and get a competent bmw mechanic to diagnose it. This way your not fixing something that is not broken. Oil burning more typically manifests itself with bluish grayish smoke.

Pop the oil filler check for chocolate milkshake, not on the cap but in the valve cover. Are you adding oil frequently? Are you adding coolant frequently? What color is the coolant in the over flow?

Definitely need a proper diagnosis by a trusted tech if the simple checks dont produce any results. GL!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
torrque
First Lieutenant
torrque's Avatar
75
Rep
352
Posts

Drives: 335xi sedan
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Newton, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If he has coolant in oil, it would be very easy to see on the filler cap... it would look horrible, and coolant will disappear relatively quick.

Could also be valve seals, they would leak oil into and looks just like that.
Do a compression test and leak down test at minimum before you jump to turbos.
I would also remove the down pipes and inspect the turbo condition as said before. Mine were completely dry.... It should not have oil on the exhaust side, where the wastegate flap is.

Your o2 sensor codes could be due to oil consumption, it's throwing the sensor off due to contamination.

How much oil do you burn per 1000km ?
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi sedan 6sp manual - MHD stage 1, Helix stepped core intercooler
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack - Stock.
2001 VW Golf GTI VR6 - Giac stage 1
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Cabdriver's Avatar
21
Rep
101
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrque View Post
If he has coolant in oil, it would be very easy to see on the filler cap... it would look horrible, and coolant will disappear relatively quick.
A lot of the N54's will have some gooey chocolate shake built up on the cap, so that's why I specifically called it out to not be the guide. Condensation from the crankcase floats, mixed with the oil vapors and accumulates on the underside of the cap but cant be washed because the oil doesn't "wash" it off. Making it look like a bad head gasket, hence the reason why you need to look into the valve cover, otherwise you could get a false positive.

To be honest, better off draining the oil to concretely rule that out.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
763
Rep
3,373
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFulton View Post


I think I already know the answer, but I'd like to get a second opinion before I pull the trigger on a set of remanufactured turbos.
About two weeks ago I started noticing a bit of white smoke coming from my exhaust while coming to a stop, it doesn't seem to happen all of the time but it's gotten progressively more noticeable since then. I found I was able to replicate the smoke by holding the rpm around 2k (see video link). My first thought was head gasket but I don't seem to be using any coolant and it doesn't smell like it either, it smells more like burnt oil. Thus leading to my conclusion of the seals being on their way out.

Full disclosure, there are a couple of other issues going on but I believe them to be unrelated. I have a small leak in my valve cover gasket at the back of the motor, however seeing as the smoke is coming from the exhaust pipes I feel pretty confident in eliminating oil dripping on the dp being the cause. One of my downstream O2 sensors has been throwing codes intermittently but I really cant see the being the issue(2C7E/2C6B). However just yesterday I had multiple misfires on cylinders 2/4/5 which has never happened before then. This could definitely be related to the O2 issue but I figured the more info the better.

The car has about 205km (128k miles) with the original twins. Mods are; DCI, DP, FMIC, CP/BOV, OCC, cooler plugs, JB4/MHD bef.

Any suggestions to look into before pulling the trigger are appreciated, TIA.
I think I would :

1) fix your VC leak
2) fix your O2 problem (remember to replace O2 sensors in pairs)
3) replace the Turbo Seals
4) replace the PCV vent hose
5) replace the PCV valve with an upgraded one like a RB PCV valve.
6) fix waste gate rattle with both turbos using the U shaped washer method for the front turbo & turning the actuator rod 2.5x for the rear turbo.

7) monitor & see and see if you still have white smoke.

If so, consider your options -

You can get NEW Mitsubishi (oem) for about $1500+

Consider though that Mitsubishi has done nothing to fix the wastegate issue.

Other options /

1) Rob Beck 1 - $1600
2) Pure stage 1 - $1900
3) Vargas stage 1 - $1900

4) Rob Beck 2 - $2000.00
5) Pure Stage 2 - $3000.00
6) Vargas GC lite - $3300.00

Other ? MMP possibly..

Remember, you have to add 200 to 300 for an install kit
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
meyergsr
New Member
3
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 09 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrrush View Post
white smoke doesnt always mean blown turbos, you could have a coolant leak. or a mix of collant and oil into the engine, doesnt always mean to jump to turbos.
I agree.
It's more likely not the turbos. I was having smoke and got it all cleared up with a RB PCV valve.
Check for oil in your charge pipe and intercooler.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #12
wrrush
Private First Class
16
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

if you are going to mention a turbo swap do not forget frankenturbo he has a group buy going on right now for $2k that includes the install kit. he has done great work in the audi and vw arena, so he is worth giving a shot out
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
4 Doors
First Lieutenant
4 Doors's Avatar
78
Rep
348
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [5.00]
Are you in Michigan? Did you figure it out? I know of a competent Indy if you are in the area that won't screw you over.
__________________
Instagram: 4doors

Current: 2008 E90 335xi Sport (Stock for now!)
Past: 1996 E36 328i Sport (bought in 2007)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #14
Chris@VargasTurboTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
785
Rep
853
Posts


Drives: All Things TurboCharged
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

A cracked valve cover can/will adversely impact PCV operation... and that can 100% cause smoke. If it were me, I'd address basic maintenance items first and look at turbos last. If and when it's time -shoot me a PM (email is faster) and I'll be happy to help show you what we have to offer that best suits your needs.

Best,
Chris
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST