E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is meth kit worth it?

08-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
connorfitz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Is meth kit worth it?

I have either at my house ready to install or along the way: jb4, dci, dps, fmic, high flow inlets, charge pipe, BBK, coil overs, and cowl filters, so my question is would I notice a difference if I got a BMS meth kit? Been thinking about it because that seems like the only other thing, besides e85, which I have, to get more power because I'm not trying to get a bigger turbo. What do you guys think who have had or have an fbo car and gotten a meth kit
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Worth it if you want an easy 30-50WHP gain, IAT Cooling, Octane Bump, Lower EGT and cleaning of intake valves
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
connorfitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Worth it if you want an easy 30-50WHP gain, IAT Cooling, Octane Bump, Lower EGT and cleaning of intake valves
Quote:
So are there really any downsides to meth injection? Thanks again Jeff
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #4
DCook
Private
Rep
Drives: 91 Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorfitz View Post

Tuning on it, running out of meth and blowing up. Thats all i can think of. Ive seen people rely on it as a fuel supply, and its either low, or slosh and run lean. Say Bye felicia to the motor.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
connorfitz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCook View Post
Quote:

Tuning on it, running out of meth and blowing up. Thats all i can think of. Ive seen people rely on it as a fuel supply, and its either low, or slosh and run lean. Bye felicia!
Tuning on it, running out of meth and blowing up. Thats all i can think of. Ive seen people rely on it as a fuel supply, and its either low, or slosh and run lean. Bye felicia![/QUOTE]

What do you mean tuning on it? And as I have been reading up on it I was wondering what would happen if you were driving along and your meth tank went empty I mean can't you turn it on and off anyways? And how long does one gallon last?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
DCook
Private
Rep
Drives: 91 Fox

Quote:

What do you mean tuning on it? And as I have been reading up on it I was wondering what would happen if you were driving along and your meth tank went empty I mean can't you turn it on and off anyways? And how long does one gallon last?
You can run more boost/timing using the meth as a fuel source, aka tuning on it. If you run out, run lean/increased iat, pop a motor.

It sounds like you just want it for iat cooling which is fine, wont cause any harm to you as youre not using it as a fueling source. And depends on how hard you drive, and what size nozzle you run will determine on how long itll last.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCook View Post
You can run more boost/timing using the meth as a fuel source, aka tuning on it. If you run out, run lean/increased iat, pop a motor.

It sounds like you just want it for iat cooling which is fine, wont cause any harm to you as youre not using it as a fueling source. And depends on how hard you drive, and what size nozzle you run will determine on how long itll last.
I've been curious about meth injection as well. Can the "easy 30-50WHP gain" that Jeff mentions be obtained without relying on it as a fueling source? I.E. If used as an IAT cooling/intake cleaning method, can any additional power be obtained?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Downside of meth for me is chance of leaks as mostly everyone who install a meth system use nylon tubing with push fittings. These are susceptible to leaks and must be checked often. Do it right the first time and install braided hoses with all AN fittings. Although it quite costly compared to using nylon hoses with push fittings but it so worth it to not worry about leaks. Added cost of braided hoses and AN fittings are roughly $400-$500+ to a normal system.

Otherwise there is no other cons I can think of.

Last edited by cn555ic; 08-15-2018 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

With new flex fuel maps you can tune for 93 then tune for meth and car will interpolate between maps based on flow that and the new spark shutoff on misfire or injector shut off is the safest bet
Appreciate 1
m3less130.00
      08-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
WTF?
Giggidy..
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I run the BMS setup with Zero degree WW fluid. I'm FBO, and Race BEF Map 3 maxxed out. Without the WW fluid I have Av Ignition in the two's and three's. With the WW fluid I have Av Ignition in the 0.? area. And sometimes flat Zero. It is lost on this platform and this forum that simple Windshield Washer fluid is a hell of an octane booster and detonation suppressant. And you don't have to tune for it.
Appreciate 0