E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to Open Trunk with No Battery.

11-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #111
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKoast View Post
Not reading through every single post but the sedans have the latches to release rear seats beside the rear window. Can pull the rear seats down and awkwardly crawl through when no one is looking
Nope!

My 2011 335i Sedan has the latch for seat release INSIDE THE TRUNK!

The only way to get into a lock trunk is to break open the ski pass thru hatch and stick your arm in there and either pull the emergency trunk release or reach the fold down seat latches and release the seat.
Attached Images

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #112
whitessx
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Hello to all of you.

I was unfortunate enough to take out the battery to charge it and close the trunk. I thought "what the hell ?", since I did the same thing to my 2005 Mercedes w211.

So forget about connecting a battery or a charger. Forget about fishing out a release cord (especially on European models), drilling holes or removing the back seats.

Just follow Blorax' guide (page 1), with the help of tharptroy's photos (page 3) and the quick tip from thecastle (page 4) and you're set.

I connected two cables to the battery I had charged (i set it up on the floor by the car's door). The Negative (just the tip of the exposed wire) (-) went to the lighter hole with the lighter in. The positive (+) I wrapped around a safety needle. I couldn't manage to get out the wide plastic connector, so I sifted carefully through the wires with my head upside down below the glovebox, until I found the grey and green one. It's indeed a smaller one. I pinched it and the trunk popped open.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it: you need T20 screwdriver.

I can't thank you guys enough. This thread is golden.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #113
silverseal99
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport and M Sport (2

Great summary by withesxx. Detailed photos of wiring loom are provided on page 5 by Ben159.

I successfully used 9v household battery method augmented by a couple of alligator clip extensions and a t-shaped push pin to pierce the insulation in lieu of nicking it.

The brown wire in the connector to the cigar-lighter-outlet-you-can't-see (the one in the below-dash panel in the passenger's footwell) provides a handy ground.

Jumper cables under the hood will only work only if the cable encircled in yellow remains connected to the red power distribution block when the trunk lid was closed. If left disconnected, the path to the latch is interrupted and jumpers under the hood won't work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0