E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Crankshaft Sensor Replacement

03-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
rponti
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Crankshaft Sensor Replacement

Anyone have luck replacing the sensor without removing the intake manifold? I've heard that with some extensions its possible to access it from the top? I've done it before but don't feel like removing the manifold again and risk breaking those brittle hoses.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
rponti
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Well I’ll reply to my own question. The crankshaft sensor can be replaced without taking off the intake manifold. Takes a bit of contortion but within quarter inch drive E 10 socket and an 18 inch quarter inch extension it can be reached. A long reach needle nose type plier, about 12 to 15 inches long helps pull the sensor from the engine. Took about an hour. I removed the cabin air filter and all those plastic bits and the cross brace. I put a bit of tape inside the socket to make sure I didn’t drop it. The sensor is tucked just under the starter.

I have an 07’ 328xi with a 3vstage IM (that probably doesn’t make a difference though.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0