E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > BMW Dealer Reviews + Ratings Forum > Motorwerks BMW-Minneapolis lost a customer-LONG

02-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
DPA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xiT

Motorwerks BMW-Minneapolis lost a customer-LONG

I am level headed, give people the benefit of the doubt, understand that 'things' happen, but after dealing with poor customer service, incompetence, repeated 'redos' for a number of years now at Motorwerks BMW in Bloomington, MN...by business is now going to Sears BMW. Let's take things back to 2002 when I purchased my first BMW from Motorwerks (Euro Delivery...great program). Anyway, purchased the car, drove around Europe for a bit and got it shipped home. No issues. When I brought the car in for its 30k checkup, I told my service advisor that the drivers seat belt retracted slowly (I had to help it back into the B Pillar). His first reply: "Well, the car is older and things like this happen." 30,000 miles makes a car old? He finally agreed to replace the seat belt. Great I thought. I picked up the car and drove home. When in my garage, I looked a the B Pillar and noticed deep gouges and many scratches in the trim, grease on the head liner and on the B Pillar fabric. It looked as if the 'tech' removed the trim piece with a big 'ol screwdriver! But wait...there's more. When removing the cover, many of the plastic tabs/clips to hold it in place were broken off. The trim was being held in place by the rubber door trim friction. I went back to Motorwerks to get things resolved. Guess what their fix was...a SHEETROCK SCREW throught the plastic trim piece. They tried to hide the screw with the rubber door trim. Well, my eagle eye caught that 'cause there was a BIG bulge where the screw was. Unbelievable. Okay, here is where the fun starts...nearly 4 months to get a new B Pillar trim piece because my car was apparently built with the wrong trim piece. I had the Euro/other market trim piece. North America gets a different trim piece (odd...no one could ever tell me why). In the course of all this B Pillar trim work, additional trim pieces were broken and a scratch was put in my back door...they took care of all of that too. Anyway, it was finally resolved. Motorwerks was polite and did get things accomplished...eventually. Sooo...when it came time to buy my 2009 328xiT, I gave them another shot (yes...I know...). My sales person was polite, kind of followed up (a few repeat emails had to go out to him), etc. I also got him to 'throw in' a set of BMW floor mats (note this for later in my story...). The car was built for me, so I was, of course, excited when it finally arrived. I went to pick it up, did a quick walk around and found a gouge in the rocker panel plastic cover (probably happened when the lift arms were swung into place during the PDI). It was small, but still a gouge. The sales manager asked if I wanted $400 off the purchase or if I wanted it replaced. I opted for replacement. Okay, off to the finance department to sign a few forms. Remember the floor mats? Well, they kept showing up on the sales contract. I asked the finance person why they kept showing up as a $133.00 charge when they were 'free.' 3 different times he said, "They'll be deducted in the 'Discount' section of the contract." Since I asked 3 times and he gave me the same answer 3 times...I took his word. Oh, by the way...I also had a $20.00 coupon to be applied to my accessories purchase (got a cargo mat, etc.). I also asked where this was applied...same answer. Whew... anyway, when I get home, I reviewed the sales contract and notice that they never did apply the $20.00 coupon and they did charge me for the mats. Once again...things happen...I understand, so over the course of THREE weeks, I called and emailed my sales person, the finance person, a sales manager and NEVER got a return call. I did get an email from the finance person stating: "this should have been taken care of in the 'Discount' section...you'll need to talk to your sales person." I finally...last Friday...got through to a different sales manager. He (Rick) actually called me back within a few hours and said, "You are right...we charged you for the mats and did not apply the coupon...I will cut you a check with tax added and mail it out." Amazing...once the sales person got the sale...he moved on to the next victim. Now grant it...we are only talking about $153 and change, but it's a matter of basic customer service...there was none. Sooo...did they take care of the gouged rocker panel? Well...they did finally after 3 trips...that seems to be the issue...they EVENTUALLY take care of the issues. The first time I went to pick up the repaired car, the panel was not attached properly...it was flopping. The senior tech took a look and said, "The connecting tabs were broken...a new part needs to be ordered." What?! The car was being given back to me as 'complete?' Another 'unbelievable.' Of course, the part is now backordered so another 2 weeks passes. I did get the new cover installed this morning...correctly. My last rant: Motorwerks stresses that if the BMW NA survey that is sent to car purchasers is not filled out with all 5's that they will fail. The 'survey lady' at Motorwerks called me right away when she found out my car had minor damage. She asked that I wait to fill out the survey until after the car was fixed...she asked for all 5's. Well, I got the survey and it was primarily about the sales experience. At the time, I thought the experience was fine (when my sales person actually called me/emailed me), so my sales person got all 5's except for the question that read: "Was your car delivered in perfect shape?" (wording not exact of course...). Since it was not, I answered 'No.' Guess what...that got Motorwerks' 'survey lady' back on the phone with me. She was politely upset with me that I did not give Motorwerks perfect marks. She also went on to say, "I thought you had agreed to wait until your car was repaired before completing the survey...because you answered 'No,' Motorwerks got a failing grade and so did the sales person." Guess what...even if the car was repaired correctly, I would still answer 'No' because...well...the car WAS NOT delivered in perfect shape. Yes, there are more important things in the world, but c'mon...some courtesy to the customer would be nice. My wife and I have been noodling over her next car and BMW comes to mind. If we do purchase a BMW for her...the business will be going to Sears. Oh...one last thing...I promise...when I brought my car in this morning for the rocker panel install, I overheard two employees talking about the new Sears BMW store (under construction, new owners...), how cool the store will be and that both of them may think about checking things out. They grumbled about how if "things don't change around here...I betcha a few others will head over there." I think the former Motorwerks General Manager will be heading up the new Sears BMW. Anyway...that is my little rant. Have I sent this same info. to Motorwerks management? No...not wasting my time. By the way...between the 'free' BMW service, I have my work done by Orr Autosport...give them a ring...they do good work.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: tl

Paragraphs man, paragraphs

Thats way too hard to read without some more formatting
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Here's my attempt at parsing this epic rant:

I am level headed, give people the benefit of the doubt, understand that 'things' happen, but after dealing with poor customer service, incompetence, repeated 'redos' for a number of years now at Motorwerks BMW in Bloomington, MN...by business is now going to Sears BMW.

Let's take things back to 2002 when I purchased my first BMW from Motorwerks (Euro Delivery...great program). Anyway, purchased the car, drove around Europe for a bit and got it shipped home. No issues. When I brought the car in for its 30k checkup, I told my service advisor that the drivers seat belt retracted slowly (I had to help it back into the B Pillar). His first reply: "Well, the car is older and things like this happen." 30,000 miles makes a car old? He finally agreed to replace the seat belt. Great I thought. I picked up the car and drove home. When in my garage, I looked a the B Pillar and noticed deep gouges and many scratches in the trim, grease on the head liner and on the B Pillar fabric. It looked as if the 'tech' removed the trim piece with a big 'ol screwdriver!

But wait...there's more. When removing the cover, many of the plastic tabs/clips to hold it in place were broken off. The trim was being held in place by the rubber door trim friction. I went back to Motorwerks to get things resolved. Guess what their fix was...a SHEETROCK SCREW throught the plastic trim piece. They tried to hide the screw with the rubber door trim. Well, my eagle eye caught that 'cause there was a BIG bulge where the screw was. Unbelievable. Okay, here is where the fun starts...nearly 4 months to get a new B Pillar trim piece because my car was apparently built with the wrong trim piece. I had the Euro/other market trim piece. North America gets a different trim piece (odd...no one could ever tell me why). In the course of all this B Pillar trim work, additional trim pieces were broken and a scratch was put in my back door...they took care of all of that too. Anyway, it was finally resolved.

Motorwerks was polite and did get things accomplished...eventually. Sooo...when it came time to buy my 2009 328xiT, I gave them another shot (yes...I know...). My sales person was polite, kind of followed up (a few repeat emails had to go out to him), etc. I also got him to 'throw in' a set of BMW floor mats (note this for later in my story...). The car was built for me, so I was, of course, excited when it finally arrived. I went to pick it up, did a quick walk around and found a gouge in the rocker panel plastic cover (probably happened when the lift arms were swung into place during the PDI). It was small, but still a gouge. The sales manager asked if I wanted $400 off the purchase or if I wanted it replaced. I opted for replacement.

Okay, off to the finance department to sign a few forms. Remember the floor mats? Well, they kept showing up on the sales contract. I asked the finance person why they kept showing up as a $133.00 charge when they were 'free.' 3 different times he said, "They'll be deducted in the 'Discount' section of the contract." Since I asked 3 times and he gave me the same answer 3 times...I took his word. Oh, by the way...I also had a $20.00 coupon to be applied to my accessories purchase (got a cargo mat, etc.). I also asked where this was applied...same answer. Whew... anyway, when I get home, I reviewed the sales contract and notice that they never did apply the $20.00 coupon and they did charge me for the mats. Once again...things happen...I understand, so over the course of THREE weeks, I called and emailed my sales person, the finance person, a sales manager and NEVER got a return call. I did get an email from the finance person stating: "this should have been taken care of in the 'Discount' section...you'll need to talk to your sales person." I finally...last Friday...got through to a different sales manager. He (Rick) actually called me back within a few hours and said, "You are right...we charged you for the mats and did not apply the coupon...I will cut you a check with tax added and mail it out." Amazing...once the sales person got the sale...he moved on to the next victim. Now grant it...we are only talking about $153 and change, but it's a matter of basic customer service...there was none.

Sooo...did they take care of the gouged rocker panel? Well...they did finally after 3 trips...that seems to be the issue...they EVENTUALLY take care of the issues. The first time I went to pick up the repaired car, the panel was not attached properly...it was flopping. The senior tech took a look and said, "The connecting tabs were broken...a new part needs to be ordered." What?! The car was being given back to me as 'complete?' Another 'unbelievable.' Of course, the part is now backordered so another 2 weeks passes. I did get the new cover installed this morning...correctly.

My last rant: Motorwerks stresses that if the BMW NA survey that is sent to car purchasers is not filled out with all 5's that they will fail. The 'survey lady' at Motorwerks called me right away when she found out my car had minor damage. She asked that I wait to fill out the survey until after the car was fixed...she asked for all 5's. Well, I got the survey and it was primarily about the sales experience. At the time, I thought the experience was fine (when my sales person actually called me/emailed me), so my sales person got all 5's except for the question that read: "Was your car delivered in perfect shape?" (wording not exact of course...). Since it was not, I answered 'No.' Guess what...that got Motorwerks' 'survey lady' back on the phone with me. She was politely upset with me that I did not give Motorwerks perfect marks. She also went on to say, "I thought you had agreed to wait until your car was repaired before completing the survey...because you answered 'No,' Motorwerks got a failing grade and so did the sales person." Guess what...even if the car was repaired correctly, I would still answer 'No' because...well...the car WAS NOT delivered in perfect shape. Yes, there are more important things in the world, but c'mon...some courtesy to the customer would be nice.

My wife and I have been noodling over her next car and BMW comes to mind. If we do purchase a BMW for her...the business will be going to Sears. Oh...one last thing...I promise...when I brought my car in this morning for the rocker panel install, I overheard two employees talking about the new Sears BMW store (under construction, new owners...), how cool the store will be and that both of them may think about checking things out. They grumbled about how if "things don't change around here...I betcha a few others will head over there." I think the former Motorwerks General Manager will be heading up the new Sears BMW. Anyway...that is my little rant. Have I sent this same info. to Motorwerks management? No...not wasting my time. By the way...between the 'free' BMW service, I have my work done by Orr Autosport...give them a ring...they do good work.
      02-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
corpun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: tl

Thank you, I was actually interested in reading it but I hate shuffling through giant blocks of text.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
DPA
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xiT

Sorry...my fingers were in 'epic rant typing mode...'

I couldn't control them.

I will employ what I learned in my years of skoolin' the next time I post (hopefully no more rants...).

Oh, by the way, the 2009 328xiT is a fabulous vehicle...except, of course, for the run flats. I'll be replacing those in a few weeks. The car is close to passing it's 'break-in' schedule, so I am looking forward to playing with the engine a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

You are smart to have everything well documented. Customers need to be well prepared and knowledgeable in situations like this.

My only piece of advice is never to sign anything until you are 100% satisfied; regarding the floor mat and coupon discounts.

You have to really watch the Finance Department guys who are every bit a salesperson.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I have had similar experiences with Motorwerks as well. With my last car there were times it would be there for service and I'd get it back with broken pieces in the engine bay (wire clips, brackets, etc.). I also had to take it back once because they didn't bleed the brakes properly after working on them, so the pedal would almost hit the floor before doing anything. Even on my new car I just picked up this week, it was delivered to me with the sunroof not calibrated/programmed, so it kept popping up sunroof sensor errors.

I got my previous car at Sears, and would have preferred to go back if not for the circumstances I was getting the new one. I would highly recommend going to Endre at Sears for your new car sales.
Appreciate 0