E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Alternator Test shows extremely high ripple- What to do?

12-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
arachnyd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Alternator Test shows extremely high ripple- What to do?

Our Stereo/Nav went out, and I was searching for potential issues, and most places said its the CCC module, but that it could be the battery, so I went to have the battery tested at autozone and they said it was bad. I bought a new battery and took it the a BMW shop to install/reprogram. They pulled the battery out and put a new one in. When I got home, I realized the battery they pulled was a 2012 BMW battery- seemed young to go bad, so I took it to Advance auto for them to do a battery/alternator test (on the 1 hour old battery). They said the battery was showing low cranking amps and that the alternator showed extremely high ripple, so I needed a new alternator.

While this makes sense, I know these cars have everything tied together with computer controlled everything. its about $500 for an alternator plus who knows how much to have it installed, and I already paid $300 for a new AGM battery installed which I didn't need.

There are no codes being thrown or warnings like most people seem to have with battery issues.;

Does a high ripple and low battery Cranking Amps signal a bad alternator that just needs to be replaced or is it likely something else?

Its an 06 330i
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
arachnyd
Enlisted Member
Rep

One other note- I was about to have the belts replaced because they are original/the dealership told me the belts were showing excessive wear when I got an oil change 2 weeks ago. Could that cause it too?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

As the charge rate is determined by the IBS unit, I'd have that checked out before throwing an alternator at it.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
arachnyd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
As the charge rate is determined by the IBS unit, I'd have that checked out before throwing an alternator at it.

Tom
Excellent. I've googled it. Is this the kind of thing I need to take it to a dealer to check out or can a German-specialty shop likely be able to figure it out?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
arachnyd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Alright, After doing more research I'm just going to have an independent shop replace the IBS and the Alternator. I had to replace the belts anyway, and he's charging an extra $150 to replace the alternator, including the part, for a total of $225 for all parts included. Then I found the IBS for about $150 online, so I'm going to order that and have him put that in too, which will be a total of about $450. Thats about 1/2 what it would cost the dealership to diagnose it and do EITHER the alternator OR the IBS. Then if it still doesn't work, I'll give up and head back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
Alright, After doing more research I'm just going to have an independent shop replace the IBS and the Alternator. I had to replace the belts anyway, and he's charging an extra $150 to replace the alternator, including the part, for a total of $225 for all parts included. Then I found the IBS for about $150 online, so I'm going to order that and have him put that in too, which will be a total of about $450. Thats about 1/2 what it would cost the dealership to diagnose it and do EITHER the alternator OR the IBS. Then if it still doesn't work, I'll give up and head back to the dealer.
Sounds like a plan. My dealer finally replaced the IBS after putting in two alternators - luckily under OEM warranty, as their quote for the alternator would have been $950.

Lets hope this takes care of it for you.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
arachnyd
Enlisted Member
Rep

2 new IBS cables, alternator, new battery, still not fixed. blah. I'm only in it for about $800 including parts though. Been in the shop for a month. Headed to the dealer Monday

At least I'll get a courtesy Car!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
wootang_clan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i & E46 M3 Vert

Arachnyd, I know this post is old but did you ever find out what the issue was? I'm having the same problem.
Appreciate 0