E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Cranks / No Start-Up

01-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i 6MT

N55 Cranks / No Start-Up

Hello, I'm new to the forums so if there's already posts about this please direct me to them if not I'm looking to get some help/recommendations.

So I have a 2011 BMW 335i E92 N55, with around 78k miles, picked it up about a few months ago with around 72k miles. Car has been running fine, no issues however every so often like rarely, whenever I would start the car the idles would bounce I'd say about 200-300rpm up/down. Only for about 5 seconds then the car would idle fine in park. So yesterday morning I started my car it took about 10 seconds longer to start and it finally turned on, sounded like it was going to die. I go back inside to change(getting ready for work) I come back out to the car completely off, except the DRL lights are on. I try starting the car again, and it'll only crank but not start. Any ideas to what the problem might be?

I have a Carly reader/scanner and here are the codes I got:
002A61: Relay Ignition and Injectors, supply voltage injection
002DE4: Valvetronic Servomotor control phase W: Line Break
00371A: Valvetronic, supply voltage: Line Break
002DE2: Valvetronic Servomotor control phase U: Line Break

I'm just kind of getting into the car world like engine work, etc and I'm still learning but always down to learn new things so I don't know too much on what I should be looking for or at, but I'm hoping the issue isn't too big. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

IG: @Verifyez
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 Msport

i dont have answers for you but my n55 is at similar mileage with similar symptoms and my hunch is the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP).
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
///M-N55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgli View Post
i dont have answers for you but my n55 is at similar mileage with similar symptoms and my hunch is the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP).
Fuel pressure sensor might be the problem , or try the Vanos
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
MikeHalim
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi N55, 2007 BMW 328i

I had the exact symptoms at 74k miles, my codes were a bit different though. Had to replace my eccentric shaft, valvetronic motor and DME...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #5
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHalim View Post
I had the exact symptoms at 74k miles, my codes were a bit different though. Had to replace my eccentric shaft, valvetronic motor and DME...
oh gosh. how much did that run you??
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Valvetronic codes come up sometimes when the engine has trouble staying on. Those codes can be a rabbit hole. Could.

The relay code seems more promising. U need to check ur dme/ battery voltage during cranking. To me seems like a power supply issue. As in powering the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i 6MT

Sorry for the late reply everyone lol, I'm new to the forums and wasn't getting notifications and have been super busy with things. Ended up replacing my relay for injectors and it still was happening so I decided to look in my battery and it was sitting in the trunk with about 6 inches of battery acid/water. Both the positive battery cables were corroded and basically there was no power/voltage getting to the starter/accessories. I replaced both cables and the battery(programmed it as well, and it's been running good. So now for the water getting in there I went in my trunk and closed it, and had my roomate pour water all around the seals, trunk liner, window liner etc and there were not any leaks coming from on the car when I was inside it. I forgot about the hole under the gas cap/tank and so I had him pour water in there and there we go found out like drops of water have been leaking from there into the battery compartment. Figured it's been like that in my car since I've had it for like 6 months washing it heavy, and weather as well. So I just plugged up the hole and am gonna figure out a way of how to prevent it leaking more once it get's warmer out. Other than that car has been running good! got my FBO parts and tuning it MHD Stage 2 + soon!!

IG: @Verifyez
Appreciate 0