E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > VCG pushing oil (replaced)

03-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
dsource
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi + miata + tdi

VCG pushing oil (replaced)

Just finished my first VCG replacement on a n54. I additionally pulled injectors out and replaced the the Teflon seals + decouplers. Previously the car would smoke a decent amount from oil on the catalytic converters. Spark plugs + injectors were pretty oily. New plugs gapped @ 0.019. The gasket was essentially a hard plastic, and broke multiple times when removing it. Torqued all VCG bolts to 75in-lbs in a pattern suggested by another post.

I had a really hard time getting the gasket to stay in place, and used gasket tack to retain the FELPRO gasket in place when installing it.

The VCG doesn't leak under idle, but modulating RPM, a dribble comes out goes onto the tray and of course right onto the turbo, runners pre turbine.

My fear is the PCV system isn't working correctly, and pressurizing the valve cover, and finding the path of least resistance.

** I replaced the crankcase vent hose, upon removal it snapped, thus needing replacement. It was a ebay part, non genuine BMW, i don't think it is causing the issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-C...53.m2749.l2649

Any ideas on what can be the culprit here? My thought is to up the torque values 10in-lbs and tighten the area where the leak is occuring
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Maybe PCV valve need replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
dsource
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Maybe PCV valve need replacement.
I just checked RealOem before calling the dealership, but was unable to find the P/N, did some googleing and only find aftermarket PCV valves, anyone have the p/n for the stock PCV valve?

+ I bought a BMS catch can that should be here today, may help with venting?

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56363

Relevant post for future reference, im going to pull that heat shield and clean it

Last edited by dsource; 03-07-2019 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Catch can
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #4
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsource View Post
I'm calling my local stealership to see if they have one in stock
I could write a book on n54 crankcase ventilation. Dearlership will not have just the pcv valve, they will sell you the whole valve cover. Also, technically it is not a pcv valve....it is a check valve.

I'm also surprised you bought an aftermarket pcv vent hose, which costs almost the same. It is a very important function - crankcase ventilation. I have actually measured the pressure in the CC with that hose plugged (for measurement purposes). The rise in pressure is fast and dangerous.

Now back to that check valve. Yes that could be bad but one has to check it first. You will also see a lot of people use the RB valve. I will say one thing about those valves, the valves themselves are better than the factory valve (bench tested) but the "assembly" is a question mark.
      03-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
dsource
Private
United_States
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
I could write a book on n54 crankcase ventilation. Dearlership will not have just the pcv valve, they will sell you the whole valve cover. Also, technically it is not a pcv valve....it is a check valve.

I'm also surprised you bought an aftermarket pcv vent hose, which costs almost the same. It is a very important function - crankcase ventilation. I have actually measured the pressure in the CC with that hose plugged (for measurement purposes). The rise in pressure is fast and dangerous.

Now back to that check valve. Yes that could be bad but one has to check it first. You will also see a lot of people use the RB valve. I will say one thing about those valves, the valves themselves are better than the factory valve (bench tested) but the "assembly" is a question mark.

It was more or less delivery time <3 days, how much pressure is built at peak? nominal? I plan on ordering some stuff from FCP euro i will order a new one just in case my brothers snaps when i get to doing the VC on his. ECS has the vargas, but after reading about their turbos im a little skeptical. Hopefully everything is here by the weekend, doing 7" FMIC + Xi downpipes + oil pan gasket and charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was more or less delivery time <3 days, how much pressure is built at peak? nominal? I plan on ordering some stuff from FCP euro i will order a new one just in case my brothers snaps when i get to doing the VC on his. ECS has the vargas, but after reading about their turbos im a little skeptical. Hopefully everything is here by the weekend, doing 7" FMIC + Xi downpipes + oil pan gasket and charge pipe.
Wowzy you doing opg?

I think the Vargas pcv is manufactured by RB pcv, not sure. The vent hose is a simple flapper valve, not sure how bad it could be even for aftermarket. Do you see or hear a flapper flap around when you shake it?
Well, as for numbers the pressure just keeps increasing. We had to hurry up and pull the plug out otherwise it would have popped something, talking 15secs here. If everything is working properly as per BMW nominal pressure is 16mbar (0.2psi) at idle. I wouldn't want my peak CC pressure to be above 0.5psi (couldn't find a bmw spec).
Im going to modify my oil filler cap with a pressure relief valve of 1/3 psi or so.
      03-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
dsource
Private
United_States
Rep

Irrelevant info

I bought the vehicle in a front end collision out of AK, seems like maintenance was shotty, i figured i am dropping the sub-frame regardless due to the downpipe install, so why not replace it while i'm there. Car has 174k, wastegate rattle is there, but the turbos were replaced, they have minimal in and out play, and radial play is normal. I'm doing FBO, until the turbos are done for, then will be DIY'ing a Single turbo setup. Current plan is to use a holset turbo HX40

Last edited by dsource; 03-07-2019 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: not relevant to post
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Not sure I'm following this thread properly, but I don't believe the OEM PCV valve is available for purchase on its own. Your options are replacing the whole valve cover, or an aftermarket solution like RB or VTT. I think both are a good idea, as the valve cover has internal passages that could be clogged, and externalizing the PCV with the appropriate OCC like RB's setup have shown as beneficial.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #9
dsource
Private
United_States
Rep

update:

Pulled old PCV valve, seemed kinda like it works, but plastic was brittle when removed it broke the nipple. Out of curiosity i removed the valve completely and now the oil cap pulls an incredible amount of vacuum. Is that normal? I would have thought there was positive pressure in the VC?

I verified that the VCG in fact was good, the heat shield held a lot of oil, additionally the wastegate actuator of the rear turbo had a decent amount of oil on it causing smoke.

Last edited by dsource; 03-11-2019 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #10
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this was already suggested. Check your fill cap, it could be leaking. Happened to a friend who still had a leak after getting his vcg replaced. I too still had what appeared to be a leak after replacing my vcg; in my case the sponge under the engine cover was so saturated with oil it would run off when the engine was up to temperature. I used shop towels to soak up the excess oil, and after a few days of driving there were no more drips of oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
update:

Pulled old PCV valve, seemed kinda like it works, but plastic was brittle when removed it broke the nipple. Out of curiosity i removed the valve completely and now the oil cap pulls an incredible amount of vacuum. Is that normal? I would have thought there was positive pressure in the VC?

I verified that the VCG in fact was good, the heat shield held a lot of oil, additionally the wastegate actuator of the rear turbo had a decent amount of oil on it causing smoke.
Yea the intake man vacuum at idle is now seen directly to the crankcase so yes would pull the oil cap. Im guessing you removed the valve and put the cap back.
      03-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
dsource
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes, RB valve came in, i put it in last night, but i'm ongoing cleaning the intake runners from carbon now. Will report back after completely de-greasing/oiling.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
dsource
Private
United_States
Rep

The heat shield appears to be the root of the problem, degreasing + brake cleaner it kinda worked, Ideally i would put it through the dishwasher to ensure that the internal cavity is cleaned out of oil. RB PCV installed as well as OEM breather, the ebay one is far worse quality of plastic and broke when attempting to remove it to install the new PCV valve. No more oil burning smell. @173k I'm impressed by the smoothness of the i6.

Last edited by dsource; 03-20-2019 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: can't forget the brake cleaner.
Appreciate 0