E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Real dumb coilover question

03-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Real dumb coilover question

Ok I'm asking anyway knowing that it's probably one of those stupid questions... I thought coilovers are the front would have 3 locking collars, 2 for the spring pre load and one at the bottom to lock the ride height.

My Bilstein only have 2 based on the picture. If you compare to BC racing coilovers see how they have 3 silver locking collars. So... does this mean on the bilstein there is no spring preload?

I feel like I'm just missing something in my head which isn't computing haha.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 03-23-2019 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

How the F do you resize pics?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Big collar adjusts the spring preload and smaller collar is to lock it in place. It just varies between coilover brands/styles when it comes to how the collars look, the material they're made of, and if there is a 3rd one or not.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
Big collar adjusts the spring preload and smaller collar is to lock it in place. It just varies between coilover brands/styles when it comes to how the collars look, the material they're made of, and if there is a 3rd one or not.
But without a third collar how is ride height adjusted. Like is it with the top collar to? BC racing you can spin the bottom shaft.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #5
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
It looks to me like the design of the coilover is such that the spring preload and ride height are not independent. In order to lower the car, the preload is reduced as well. The spring will still be compressed the same amount when the car is on the ground, but will be different when in full droop.

Hopefully Bilstein knows what they are doing and the lowest setting does not allow the spring to have zero load at full droop, which would be bad if the tire ever loses contact with the road, and the spring dislodges from the perch.

To adjust ride height up, you want to move the nut upwards on the tube. This will increase the amount of load on the spring in full droop.

To adjust ride height down, move the nut downwards on the tube. This will decrease the load on the spring in full droop.

Some designs have a helper spring in order to keep the spring seated at all times, controlling the preload-height dependency issue. The helper spring compresses when ride height is adjusted, so that the preload on the main spring only changes slightly.

On the BC coilover, they use a secondary tube that moves independently of the main tube to keep preload and ride height separate.

Edit: A good article from Raceland about your question:
https://raceland.com/news/how-to-adjust-coilovers.html

Last edited by upshift_downshift; 03-23-2019 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift_downshift View Post
It looks to me like the design of the coilover is such that the spring preload and ride height are not independent. In order to lower the car, the preload is reduced as well. The spring will still be compressed the same amount when the car is on the ground, but will be different when in full droop.

Hopefully Bilstein knows what they are doing and the lowest setting does not allow the spring to have zero load at full droop, which would be bad if the tire ever loses contact with the road, and the spring dislodges from the perch.

To adjust ride height up, you want to move the nut upwards on the tube. This will increase the amount of load on the spring in full droop.

To adjust ride height down, move the nut downwards on the tube. This will decrease the load on the spring in full droop.

Some designs have a helper spring in order to keep the spring seated at all times, controlling the preload-height dependency issue. The helper spring compresses when ride height is adjusted, so that the preload on the main spring only changes slightly.

On the BC coilover, they use a secondary tube that moves independently of the main tube to keep preload and ride height separate.

Edit: A good article from Raceland about your question:
https://raceland.com/news/how-to-adjust-coilovers.html
Ahhh ok thanks I understand now.

But yeah I would suppose Bilstein know what they do, if not sounds pretty bad and scary from your saying haha. I noticed the KW V1 have the same set up to so I suppose it's not really bad.

But I probably won't use the lowest setting.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

But I do believe they provide max measurements for how long the spring can be so I guess that solves your thing about risking if loses contact with the road.
Appreciate 0