E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW useless in snow !! Shite

11-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #67
russtic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne71 View Post
Can I ask as I'm considering the 'new' S4 next would the quattro system on summer tyres be better than a bmw on winters?
IMHO - No whilst 4wd will help prevent you getting stuck the overall traction will still be low compared to winter tyres ie you move but have little control
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #68
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne71 View Post
Can I ask as I'm considering the 'new' S4 next would the quattro system on summer tyres be better than a bmw on winters?
I'll say no just to spoil any fun.

I'm managing fine which obviously you've already read, but then you have to believe me as much as believe what else is written on here.

IF you're serious then Audi already do sort of promote winter tyres but it's not hard sell in the UK............had a chat with a salesman about it a while back. The tyre pressures are on the door sticker for summer and winter tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #69
russtic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

On my winter - no probs!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #70
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by russtic View Post
IMHO - No whilst 4wd will help prevent you getting stuck the overall traction will still be low compared to winter tyres ie you move but have little control
What I will say is though that much depends on your driving ability and of course you can never account for all the other tossers on the road. I will admit a tad more concentration is required when you have certain power and torque under your belt. So far I've had the orange light on once but I'm going to play with the nanny settings as there's some tips about best use of the system.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #71
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On my winter - no probs!
That's not snow lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #72
russtic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
That's not snow lol.
Fair comment! Lived in Hull until two years ago. But as much as we are likely to see here!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #73
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fair comment! Lived in Hull until two years ago. But as much as we are likely to see here!
Oh right. My cousin used to live in Kent and they used to get some heavy snow and bitterly cold (Kent sort of sticks out doesn't it). Not since I was a kid have I seen snow like this tbh.

Think what you can experience is as you've obviously got RWD (and I know only too well what it's like to be sitting there clutch out rear wheels spinning going nowhere as February 2009 had my Cayman S then on summer tyres and I got royally stuck!!) is what the off road fraternity call 'sledging' ie. the front wheels are not revolving at the same speed as the rear wheels as the front wheels are not driven, this tends to occur more in deep snow. Loss of steering will occur. Whilst winter tyres will benefit in as much as they do increase the grip to a certain extent, the front wheels are still not driven. On a 4WD vehicle obviously the front wheels are driven therefore rotating at the same speed as the rear wheels and consequently the car is being 'pulled' as well as being 'pushed', so 'steerage' is maintained to a greater extent whatever the tyres.

A 4WD car fitted with winter tyres would benefit even further. However, no tyre be it all season, summer or winter will grip on black ice or compacted snow over ice etc. Ultimately even if you're driving a 4WD/AWD car you should not be complacent and believe you are invulnerable. My other half today in his Series Landy fitted with mud and snow tyres was quite happily driving along through 6-8 inches of snow, came to a downhill junction just touched the brakes and ended up momentarily going sideways, due to the fact there was ice under the snow. He's a very experienced off-road driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #74
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
These winter tyres are amazing! Can I drive across frozen ponds in them?
      11-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #75
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

My Car's been stuck in the same spot for 5 days now (outside house in Newcastle) - So I'm blasting around in a 1.0 Yaris and it's amazing through the snow. I've seen about 5 BMW's abandoned on a 8 mile journey - quite shocking.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #76
chrislad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 520ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
maybe if you bought them from "Big Motoring World Group, selling Second hand used BMWs, for sale in Kent, BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X3 M3 Z3 Z4"
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #77
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
I'm almost starting to feel left out. We had about 2mm of snow on the ground this morning, but that's all we've had and it's gone now!

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #78
chrislad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 520ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
I'm almost starting to feel left out. We had about 2mm of snow on the ground this morning, but that's all we've had and it's gone now!
you can have some of the 8 inches that has entombed my motor
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #79
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I'll say no just to spoil any fun.

I'm managing fine which obviously you've already read, but then you have to believe me as much as believe what else is written on here.

IF you're serious then Audi already do sort of promote winter tyres but it's not hard sell in the UK............had a chat with a salesman about it a while back. The tyre pressures are on the door sticker for summer and winter tyres.
Ok thanks, I'm serious but it wont be for a while yet. I'd like to drive to the alps for my ski holiday next winter and am considering the options. I do like the look of the new S4 avant and it would suit my lifestyle more but I'm also getting a crush on the new RS3

So it seems

Quattro on winters>BMW on winters>Quattro on summers
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2010, 05:41 AM   #80
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
LOL...ur a joker...u always come up with some lines...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #81
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
Mm things are improving slowly, at least I can see the road but omg was it bloody cold last night
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #82
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesfinnie View Post
Mm things are improving slowly, at least I can see the road but omg was it bloody cold last night
I am enjoying your pictures whilst driving.

You have invented a new advertising line that the winter tyre manufacturers could use.

"So much grip in the cold and snow you can sit back and admire the Scottish countryside!"
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #83
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

My car disgraced itself this morning. Went out on the nursery run no problem. Back onto our street, usual turn around just past my house so its facing the right way.

Turn into side turn OK, reverse back OK, and we're stuck, across the road at 90 degrees. Gentlest possible throttle just span the wheels very slowly. Shoved new snow under the wheels no good. Shoved spare floor mats under the wheels no good. Dug the snow ot from under the wheels best I could no good. Someone gave me a push no good. Mats back under the wheels, a lot more pushing and its away. Still need to reverse again to complete turn, and its stuck again. Mats back under the wheels and another push and I'm parked back outside the house.

That was 08:15. Another couple of inches has descended since then, I have to go out at 2pm locally then am supposed to pick the father in law up from Paul Gascoigne International airport in Newcastle at 23:15. Wish me luck!

BTW snow in my back garden now 18".......
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:00 AM   #84
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I've now got my toyo snowprox fitted and they are unbelievable, not even a hint of getting stuck, grippy on snow/slush and better braking. Best thing I've ever done to a car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #85
ROCKETRON
320D M-sport le-mans blue
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D M-Sport le-mans blue

Her is a good video clip showing difference in performance between different tyres,summer/winter/all season

E90 320D M-Sport Lemans blue/beige leather/wood/auto/lumbar support/folding mirrors/through load/bluetooth/pro satnav,i-drive/voice control. NOW SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #86
bmwbouy
England
Rep
Drives: 320d E90 SE

I have been enlightened. There was me thinking snow and BMW's were a big no no and all I need are the right tyres and I can still drive about in the snow. Shame iv just bought new normal tyres and now can't afford any winter tyres. Never mind theres always next year!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #87
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
of course a RWD car with 255's on the back won't be much good......but I wouldnt say undriveable...
Me neither, the biggest issue is the summer tyres are completely unsuitable to snowy conditions, car is fine, just not shod properly for the going.

Like putting heavy carthorse shoes on a racehorse.

Yves

Last edited by YvesD; 12-03-2010 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #88
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Wink

I've come across a number of individuals this week, all of whom seem to think BMWs are bogus in winter snow & icy conditions. Two of them were actually e90 drivers!

I helped to push 5 different cars out of the car park where I was working yesterday- 2 BMWs, a VW Golf, VW Passat, Ford Fiesta & a Renault. All of them were using 'normal' summer tyres. Oh, & no, I'm not a car park attendant, Will.

As a result of talking to Tony last year, I bought a set of winter tyres & also a used pair of 17" alloys from our American friend, Floyd. I'd switched to my winter wheels, with the Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance tyres, last weekend. As a result, I've had no problems getting around anywhere for the last week, every day of which has had some snowfall.

The increased silicone content of winter tyres simply stops the rubber hardening at temperatures below about 6C. Its increased pliability helps each tyre to grip the surface far more easily then the hardened rubber on summer tyres.
Increased tyre grip means the car is far less reliant on DSC+T to maintain traction. It will simply pull away more easily from standing & it will stop far more quickly as well.

I've been driving through these conditions & worse for the last week in the north-east of England & I've had no problems driving around at all:

Name:  snow.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  172.9 KB

I've only had the yellow traction control warning light flash once this week, & that was as a result of me trying to see how far I could push the car on freshly-laid snow upon ice, in 1st gear. Whilst the winter tyres are on, I load the boot with around 20kg, so it takes a little more to get that light to flash.

Be careful out there, ok.

Viv

Appreciate 0