E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > How to activate the 'follow me home headlight function'

06-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Kas141
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Saloon

How to activate the 'follow me home headlight function'

Hi,

I recently bought a 2005 325i se, a few friends have similar cars and when they unlock the doors the headlights appear for a set amount of time. I can't seem to get this function working on my car.

In iDrive i have homelight set to 40 secs but when i unlock and lock the doors the lights do not come on. The bmw manual states to engage the flash beam before locking which worked, but i guess my question is how i can make this happen automatically.

Many thanks

Kas
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
AlexMot
Rep
Drives: E91 LCi 325d MSport

i was wandering this also, my old car (an audi) would do it all automatically, in a sense the bmw ones arent auto, more like semi-auto. this is also the case with the 'auto' wipers, you have to press the button on the stalk to put them in auto. Its a bit annoying because neither are fully auto really!
      06-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
It doesn't happen when you unlock the doors, it's when you switch the car off. Use the headlight flasher and the lights come on for the specified time.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas141 View Post
Hi,

I recently bought a 2005 325i se, a few friends have similar cars and when they unlock the doors the headlights appear for a set amount of time.
These are the 'welcome lights' - the follow me home is designed so you can flash the lights as you leave the vehicle and it will light 'your path' and provide some light for a pre-determined amount of time.

My follow me home lights are set for 40 secs and I also have the welcome lights turned on using the i-drive. This illuminates the side lights and door handles when the car is locked/unlocked

I also have the DRL's set to on - I have never had anyone 'pull out' on me since using the DRL's on this car and the last one. I think it gives a far greater presence on the road also
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D M SPORT

Garage List
Are the welcome lights an optional extra? what year did they start putting them on?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I thought they have always been fitted to E9* models

My colleague had a pretty bog standard 55 plate 318D and his door handles etc used to illuminate when car was unlocked.

You can turn them on/off - have you checked they are enabled?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
Wh|t3R@bb|t
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
It doesn't happen when you unlock the doors, it's when you switch the car off. Use the headlight flasher and the lights come on for the specified time.
Headlight Flasher????

I too have a 335d Saloon with this setting in iDrive and have never been able to get the headlights to work. Very weird. If someone can give specific instructions would be most useful.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I thought they have always been fitted to E9* models

My colleague had a pretty bog standard 55 plate 318D and his door handles etc used to illuminate when car was unlocked.

You can turn them on/off - have you checked they are enabled?
My door handle llights illuminate but not anything else
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
seanblee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh|t3R@bb|t
Headlight Flasher????

I too have a 335d Saloon with this setting in iDrive and have never been able to get the headlights to work. Very weird. If someone can give specific instructions would be most useful.
You need to switch off the engine, remove the key, then flash the lights (by pulling the indicator stalk towards you) - they will then stay on for the time you've preset in the 'Follow Me Home Lights' section on iDrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_1
My door handle llights illuminate but not anything else
Sounds like you don't have Welcome Lights switched on - if you have iDrive it's easy, otherwise I expect it's a (chargable) dealer visit to enable
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
i have i drive but there is not an option which says welcome lights anywhere.

if you look at page 53 of this manual this is what i see

http://www.e90fanatics.com/pdf/E90_OwnersManual.pdf

Last edited by MO_1; 06-22-2009 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

My car has xenons and auto light activation. If I leave the lights on 'auto' I get a welcome from the sidelights/corona rings in addition to the under handle lights. If I leave the lights 'off' then I get no welcome lights. No expert on these settings. Just my observation of my car.

I think you need to leave the lights in the 'on' position to get the welcome without auto light activation rather than manually turn them off.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #12
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
My car has xenons and auto light activation. If I leave the lights on 'auto' I get a welcome from the sidelights/corona rings in addition to the under handle lights. If I leave the lights 'off' then I get no welcome lights. No expert on these settings. Just my observation of my car.

I think you need to leave the lights in the 'on' position to get the welcome without auto light activation rather than manually turn them off.
The earlier E90s and 91s do not have coronas that come on when unlocking or locking. Only the door handles light up.

It is a shame and there is apparently no way to really change it using any settings. It was introduced with the Efficiency Dynamic cars from what I know.

Also a shame the fogs or headlights don't come on like VAG or Mercs.

Another strange thing with headlights in auto mode is that when you turn car off but do not open the drivers door, the coronas are lit. However, as soon as door opens they turn off.

Still love the door handle lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
The earlier E90s and 91s do not have coronas that come on when unlocking or locking. Only the door handles light up.

It is a shame and there is apparently no way to really change it using any settings. It was introduced with the Efficiency Dynamic cars from what I know.

Also a shame the fogs or headlights don't come on like VAG or Mercs.

Another strange thing with headlights in auto mode is that when you turn car off but do not open the drivers door, the coronas are lit. However, as soon as door opens they turn off.

Still love the door handle lights.
My previous 56 plate non ED E91 with xenons worked exactly the same as my current 08 plate ED car. When in 'Auto' mode the coronas light up as a welcome light. As you say the coronas do stay on until you open the door. Nice touch. Another note is other features only work when in auto mode on my car - adaptive corner lighting, high beam assist as well as welcome lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerarsr View Post
My previous 56 plate non ED E91 with xenons worked exactly the same as my current 08 plate ED car. When in 'Auto' mode the coronas light up as a welcome light. As you say the coronas do stay on until you open the door. Nice touch. Another note is other features only work when in auto mode on my car - adaptive corner lighting, high beam assist as well as welcome lights.
IS THIS WHEN YOU ARE GETTING IN THE CAR? OR GETTING OUT?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_1 View Post
IS THIS WHEN YOU ARE GETTING IN THE CAR? OR GETTING OUT?
Re read my quote. Coronas stay on for 20 ish seconds on welcome then fade out. Coronas stay on until you open the door on departure. Noticed this at night after xenons switch off. Don't think this happens during the day due to xenons not being on.

My sig was done by taking two photos. The second by opening the car via key fob and taking the shot. Hence the interior lights are on as well as the exterior.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

when i unlock my car the coronas do not come on at all.. only the door lights.

When i turn ignition off and its dark outside and light switch is auto then the coronas are on until i open the door and then they go off.

So i have no welcome lights in my headlights.

As stated in the handbook, using the flash at night before I get out will have the Xenons on for the adjustable time.

So why do my coronas not light up when I unlock the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmi1750 View Post
when i unlock my car the coronas do not come on at all.. only the door lights.

When i turn ignition off and its dark outside and light switch is auto then the coronas are on until i open the door and then they go off.

So i have no welcome lights in my headlights.

As stated in the handbook, using the flash at night before I get out will have the Xenons on for the adjustable time.

So why do my coronas not light up when I unlock the car?
Mine is exactly the same as yours. Maybe it depends on year of the car mine is a 2005 55
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 04:35 AM   #18
Sameen_619
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 08 LCI 335d E90

Is there any way to keep the angel eyes on after the car is locked without flashing the headlights to activate it.

Thank you
Appreciate 0