E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Xenon light issue

11-21-2022, 12:15 AM   #1
exoray
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Xenon light issue

So I checked that the ballast was the issue a while back but not have been having a problem where the light will randomly not work on a start up. Unplugging and replugging the headlights turns it back on but it turns off a couple start ups later. I am beginning to suspect that the computer’s short detection power cut is being tripped but I don’t know which component could be at fault. Any ideas? To be fair, now that I think about it, my passenger side has the old ballast from the driver side as I switched ballasts to test and found it to be the issue so I kept the old driver's side ballast on the passenger side and the new ballast on the driver side. Could it be the old driver's ballast also on its way out?

Last edited by exoray; 11-21-2022 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 01:24 AM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The ballasts sometimes act up when they are weak or failing.
They will stop working, flicker or stop working then work.

You can scan the frm for stored codes to see when the error popped up and it should say what side has triggered a fault.
Appreciate 0