E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Are these normal STFT and LTFT? Leaky fuel injector diagnosis

01-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
lukemcmullen45
Luke McMullen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Are these normal STFT and LTFT? Leaky fuel injector diagnosis

I believe I have a leaky fuel injector and I’m currently diagnosing it to make sure I am 100% sure. My next step (when I have time) is to pull the spark plugs and check for fuel. But in the mean time I did live feed for my short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim. I unfortunately know nothing about it so I was hoping one of you guys could tell me if these numbers are normal. Also I will post screenshots of my Engine Codes. All using my BlueDriver scam tool.

Thanks for any help!
- Luke
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:48 PM   #2
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemcmullen45 View Post
I believe I have a leaky fuel injector and I’m currently diagnosing it to make sure I am 100% sure. My next step (when I have time) is to pull the spark plugs and check for fuel. But in the mean time I did live feed for my short term fuel trim and long term fuel trim. I unfortunately know nothing about it so I was hoping one of you guys could tell me if these numbers are normal. Also I will post screenshots of my Engine Codes. All using my BlueDriver scam tool.

Thanks for any help!
- Luke
I don't have the answer but what is the auc sensor i have the same code
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:54 AM   #3
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
Quite common to have that code. It's just climate control to keep pollution outside the car. It is only working when you have the circulation button Auto (i think) on the climate control panel.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:55 AM   #4
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
Quite common to have that code. It's just climate control to keep pollution outside the car. It is only working when you have the circulation button Auto (i think) on the climate control panel.
O ok thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:

Thanks for any help!
- Luke
The short term values are nothing to worry about

The long term values are high. FWIW, positive values mean the DME is adding fuel - if your injectors were leaking, the DME would be trying to subtract fuel, not add it. Doesn't mean there isn't a problem with injectors but leaking is not it.

Start by deleting the fault codes and resetting the adaptations. See which codes come back and where your trims go after that

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the device you used to read the trims so it's possible it represents them differently than other devices/software.

Last edited by dpaul; 01-30-2020 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
lukemcmullen45
Luke McMullen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
The short term values are nothing to worry about

The long term values are high. FWIW, positive values mean the DME is adding fuel - if your injectors were leaking, the DME would be trying to subtract fuel, not add it. Doesn't mean there isn't a problem with injectors but leaking is not it.

Start by deleting the fault codes and resetting the adaptations. See which codes come back and where your trims go after that

EDIT: I'm not familiar with the device you used to read the trims so it's possible it represents them differently than other devices/software.
So what do you think the reason for added fuel would be? I reset the fault codes and I’ll see if it changes at all. But what should my LTFT look like?

Also there’s a chance I have a bad PCV hose. Could that be causing the problem? Could that be causing my issues with white smoke? I have a FTP PCV Valve so that is good. But the hose might be bad
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what do you think the reason for added fuel would be? I reset the fault codes and I’ll see if it changes at all. But what should my LTFT look like?

Also there’s a chance I have a bad PCV hose. Could that be causing the problem? Could that be causing my issues with white smoke? I have a FTP PCV Valve so that is good. But the hose might be bad
1) Your LTFT should be zero or close to it.

2) "white smoke"? You didn't think that was an important enough detail to include in the original description of the problems? In the future, a good way to start is with as complete a picture of the vehicle and its history as you can.

3) If components of your PCV system have not been replaced before, they are almost certainly bad and could contribute to excessive oil consumption (if you see that) and smoke. But there are a lot of possible causes for either and for your high LTFT

So reset your adaptations as well as the fault codes, then lets see what happens.

RE: PCV hoses and valve. First of all, why didn't you mention white smoke up front? If it hasn't been changed, your PCV vent (flapper valve) is probably bad and leaking. But that would not affect your LTFT, which should be zero or close.

Reset your adaptations as well as the fault codes
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
lukemcmullen45
Luke McMullen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1) Your LTFT should be zero or close to it.

2) "white smoke"? You didn't think that was an important enough detail to include in the original description of the problems? In the future, a good way to start is with as complete a picture of the vehicle and its history as you can.

3) If components of your PCV system have not been replaced before, they are almost certainly bad and could contribute to excessive oil consumption (if you see that) and smoke. But there are a lot of possible causes for either and for your high LTFT

So reset your adaptations as well as the fault codes, then lets see what happens.

RE: PCV hoses and valve. First of all, why didn't you mention white smoke up front? If it hasn't been changed, your PCV vent (flapper valve) is probably bad and leaking. But that would not affect your LTFT, which should be zero or close.

Reset your adaptations as well as the fault codes
I apologize as I should have mentioned the white smoke. But yes I am getting a white smoke on startup and when I rev the engine high. The PCV Hose is a cheap one off of amazon that I bought which was a mistake (should have gone with OEM). The white smoke appeared about 500 miles after installed the cheap PCV hose. At the same time I upgraded to a FTP PCV Valve so that is not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Any mods?
Any tune?
What fuel if tuned?
How long have you owned it?
What have you replaced (beside PCV hose)?
Why'd you replace the PCV hose?
Link to the one you bought?
Why'd you replace the PCV valve? No idea what "FTP" PCV valve is.
Do you get white smoke only on cold start up or do you get it when the engine is warm/hot as well? Or only on warm/hot start up?
When you say "rev" do you mean with the engine under load (i.e. WOT acceleration) or do you mean revving in neutral?
How much oil are you using (that means qts per mile, not qts per month)?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #10
lukemcmullen45
Luke McMullen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any mods?
Any tune?
What fuel if tuned?
How long have you owned it?
What have you replaced (beside PCV hose)?
Why'd you replace the PCV hose?
Link to the one you bought?
Why'd you replace the PCV valve? No idea what "FTP" PCV valve is.
Do you get white smoke only on cold start up or do you get it when the engine is warm/hot as well? Or only on warm/hot start up?
When you say "rev" do you mean with the engine under load (i.e. WOT acceleration) or do you mean revving in neutral?
How much oil are you using (that means qts per mile, not qts per month)?
Only VRSF intake
No tune
Replaced PCV Hose because I snapped the connector when replacing the valve cover gasket
Link to the PCV Hose I bought - https://www.amazon.com/Crankcase-Vent-Hose-135i-335i/dp/B07TQD78YR
It’s typically for about 20 seconds of smoke every other time I start the car warm. But sometimes I’ll go a couple of days with no smoke. I’ve owned the car for about 8 months. Has 112k miles, bought with 107k
Also revving in neutral. Also it only smokes like 2 times and not every time I rev it. It’s very random
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Your white smoke issue does not fit the classic leaky injector scenario (i.e. smoke on cold start up) and neither do your elevated LTFTs. The inconsistent nature of the smoke makes diagnosis difficult.

You didn't mention how much oil you are using.

Your PCV flapper is likely just as good as the OEM which is a terrible POS.

Start by clearing all those codes and resetting adaptations then report back
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

LTFT's like that under idle may be caused by an vacuum leak somewhere, possibly from the PCV or a vacuum hose. Under idle if you rev the engine to 2000rpm and hold it there for 30 seconds do the LTFT's drop closer to zero?

Last edited by BM3Rrrr; 02-11-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #13
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

OP any update or resolution? I too have ltft bank
1 and 2 hovering at 12% and 14% with no smoke besides typical smoke upon cold start in the morning in cold weather.
Curious - Does your idle ever dip below 600rpm and chug the motor for an instant in neutral after lightly revving the engine?
      03-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #14
Alico991
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 dct 2010

1 bad injectors will cause the bank to go lean, i bought my car and the trims was maxing out 30% in both banks. Replaced all the injectors with index 12s and the trim is zero now.
Appreciate 0