E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW Ipod kit no longer charges

03-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

BMW Ipod kit no longer charges

I have the BMW Ipod for the idrive version fitted in my car which used to charge my original iphone fine, but since I upgraded to the 3GS it no longer charges that phone. I also purchased a 5th gen ipod nano a few weeks ago and it wont charge that either!!

What do I need to do to get charging working again? Does anyone have it working with their 3GS phones?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
there are different numbers for the snap in adapter for the iphone standard and the 3g version. the 3g wont charge in the standard dock.

dont know about the 5th gen ipod though

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Animalfreeride
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post
I have the BMW Ipod for the idrive version fitted in my car which used to charge my original iphone fine, but since I upgraded to the 3GS it no longer charges that phone. I also purchased a 5th gen ipod nano a few weeks ago and it wont charge that either!!

What do I need to do to get charging working again? Does anyone have it working with their 3GS phones?
There is a chance it could be an issue with Apple changing the charging pins but I think this relates to older ipod's & not iphones. If it is a charging pin issue you can buy a Scoshe adapter for the glovebox retrofit option but not sure how you can incorporate this to an idrive setup. As I say, I'm not 100% certain this is the reason why you are having problems though so maybe an idea to check out the apple forums.
Car Ownership History Red Ford Sierra, Blue Ford Orion Giha, Burgundy Ford Fiesta, Black Vauxhall Corsa SRI, Blue Rover 216 SI , Silver Volvo S40 T4 Saloon, Blue Renault Clio RXE, Black Renault Clio 172 Sport, Red VW Polo, Peugeot Expert & BMW 335i MSport Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
cdb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

i had a similar thing and upon checking up (better put as some quality time with google) i'm pretty sure it'll be down to an upgrade apple did on latest generation devices which causes some accesories to no longer charge. most people seem to recommend Scosche adaptors:

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1667

may be the solution.....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #5
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys,

I wonder if there is a firmware upgrade on the ipod kit which will make it charge again? I dont really want to spend another £20 or so to make this thing do what it was advertised to do
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
yatin c
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

apple have definately changed the pins over. cheeky
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So we cant just get a new lead to replace the current one to get it working again?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
The change was made from the fourth gneration of i pod onwards
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
What a piece of crap!
      03-05-2010, 03:58 AM   #10
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:

I have had the 6FL option from introduction in 03/2007. The Y lead supplied at the time charged ok with my 4th gen iPod. When I changed to a 5th Gen had the same problems as described. Did a bit digging and found BMW had introduced a new Y lead Part No. 61 12 0 431 424. I purchased this and all worked ok but complained to BMW and they refunded the cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #11
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Unfortunately if Apple make changes from generation to generation, BMW suffer as much as the customer as they need to then spend loads of money innovating the device to accommodate those changes. Personally I would have aimed my complaint at Apple... it isn't BMW's fault that's for sure!

I say that because its to do with Apple making changes...I bought a brand new run around Yaris for home, changed the ipod for a new one 1 month down the line and the lead no longer charged the new ipod.

The manufacturer of the lead will always say, that their lead only supports x y z devices up to 3rd gen etc. Besides I don't think that most ipod leads are designed to run the iphone (something to do with interference or who knows what), and most ipod sound docks/accessories don't support the iphone either!

greatbm - has cleared things up and that BMW have now released an updated version. You did well getting a goodwill refund.

To the OP, when you say Bmw ipod fitted, do you mean you're using the y lead/armrest usb connector).

Last edited by flyfs6; 03-05-2010 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #12
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
I have had the 6FL option from introduction in 03/2007. The Y lead supplied at the time charged ok with my 4th gen iPod. When I changed to a 5th Gen had the same problems as described. Did a bit digging and found BMW had introduced a new Y lead Part No. 61 12 0 431 424. I purchased this and all worked ok but complained to BMW and they refunded the cost.
This 6FL is the same as the BMW Ipod kit where the lead goes into the glovebox?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #13
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
Unfortunately if Apple make changes from generation to generation, BMW suffer as much as the customer as they need to then spend loads of money innovating the device to accommodate those changes. Personally I would have aimed my complaint at Apple... it isn't BMW's fault that's for sure!

I say that because its to do with Apple making changes...I bought a brand new run around Yaris for home, changed the ipod for a new one 1 month down the line and the lead no longer charged the new ipod.

The manufacturer of the lead will always say, that their lead only supports x y z devices up to 3rd gen etc. Besides I don't think that most ipod leads are designed to run the iphone (something to do with interference or who knows what), and most ipod sound docks/accessories don't support the iphone either!

greatbm - has cleared things up and that BMW have now released an updated version. You did well getting a goodwill refund.

To the OP, when you say Bmw ipod fitted, do you mean you're using the y lead/armrest usb connector).
Agree with your comments and yes it was a good will from BMW as a loyal customer.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 05:16 AM   #14
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This 6FL is the same as the BMW Ipod kit where the lead goes into the glovebox?
No the 6FL is a factory fit, USB in the armrest along with a 3.5 mm Jack socket. The glovebox option is a dealer fit and you dont need the Y lead. Maybe there is a software update for the glovebox option ? or as others have said purchase an adapter.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 05:41 AM   #15
richy_335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e91 335d m sport

I think it's to do with the original iphone charger is 12v whereas the 3gs is only 5v charging, you can buy the adaptors off ebay for around £10
Appreciate 0