E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > I bought a sew on steering wheel cover...

04-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #23
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Finally installed it today

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
6ixSpd5996.50
      04-23-2017, 11:12 PM   #24
UltimateLurker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i AW M-Sport

I'm still looking for an alcantara option for the sport wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
If only JB3 would do that too.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #25
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateLurker
I'm still looking for an alcantara option for the sport wheel.
look for theracingfeel on fb. thats where i got my alcantara cover. i also had the alcantara insert so the whole things gies well together.
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 01:48 AM   #26
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Has anyone done this on a heated steering wheel?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:07 PM   #27
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
That looks pretty damn good! I think I'll have to buy one after thinking about it for weeks lol

2007 335i E92 Sport, CIC, 6MT, DOCRACE6266 Spacegray/Black
2009 335i xDrive Black/Black Nav AT Individual
Gf: 2011 335i Xdrive Mpack,Nav AT Alpine/SaddleBrown
Appreciate 1
SHEEDI598.50
      05-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #28
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Im feeling like this one would look and feel nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Genuin...3D122001693737

|instagram@underground6t9|
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #29
dzid_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Has anyone done this on a heated steering wheel?
That's a good question. I will probably do it to the sport heated wheel.

Also, I wonder if the edges feel rough on the back side of the wheel ?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:03 AM   #30
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 335d M-sport

Sewing the Mewant steering wheel cover

After viewing all of the posts on re-wrapping, I gave the Mewant cover a try. I agree with all that have said that the quality is great. I would say that it is very possible to get a nice result, but you have to have a ton of patience, otherwise it will look like grandma's nylons - wrinkly and unsightly.

Here are some of my tips that I learned along the way.

1. A number of folks said that they didn't use the two sided tape. I was the opposite, I used a lot of tape. First you need to figure out which way is front and which way is back, but once you do and you get it positioned correctly, I used the tape to anchor one end of the wrap onto the old steering wheel. I then placed another piece of tape to line up with the other half of the wrap and pulled it around the wheel, so the two sides came together where you stitch. The tape holds both halves together without the threading. When you do it this way, the thread is sort of aesthetic, and holds the ends in place, but really doesn't have a lot of stress on the threading....at least that's what I did and it worked out well.

The tape was super important on the bottom spoke, where there in an indent where the leather is supposed to go. To make it contour correctly, this area has to have tape...use plenty, its thin and doesn't show through the leather. Also around the bumps at 10 and 2 o'clock.

2. Peeling the back on the tape is very fiddly. My dad used to be a draftsman way back in the day and I recalled him using an exacto knife to place thin stencils precisely....I used the knife edge to peel back the tape backing and it worked really well. Less fiddly.

3. When sewing, you want it tight, but not overly tight where you get bunching (again, not like grandma's nylons). If you have a pick, you can carefully pull taunt the thread on each successive stitch....kinda like tightening up shoe laces.

4. When sewing, you can loop through a single loop multiple times on curves, like on the back of the bottom spoke. That makes the stitching line up better.

5. Use plenty of thread...they give you a lot. For the top part I measured out about 10 feet. For the shorter runs (between the bottom spoke and the horizontal spokes...I think I had about 6 feet. Take your time and be sure not to tangle the thread...you'll end up with a bird's nest, and you'll be swearing...or you'll end up with a knot, which makes pulling the thread through the loops more fiddly.

6. Plan on taking your time. I took my steering wheel off, and it still took me about 4-5 hours to figure it out and execute. I did this over two nights. I cannot imagine doing this on the car, that would have been frustrating.

7. Have beer or other depressants handy, and take breaks. As I said, its not an easy project but you can get great results IF you take your time.

8. The wrap was pretty nice, but some of the ends didn't quite match up (uneven), almost like it wasn't meant for my steering wheel. I trimmed the leather, but I left the stitching so it wouldn't unravel. I have a small "tail piece" of leather behind my paddles. Also at the bottom on the back side of the steering wheel, i know it looks untidy, but you can't see it. I still need to put some additional tape on the ends of that area, I can feel it a bit where i can peel it back (since there is no tape). Once I get that down it will be fine - completely unnoticeable to the untrained eye.

As I've decided to keep this car for a while and didn't want to buy a new wheel, or have it professionally wrapped, this was a perfect solution. Very happy with it but perhaps its in the category of only doing that job once...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #31
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

I just installed one of the Mewant wraps on my non-sport e91 wheel. Honestly it came out as well as I had hoped for $70.

I didn't use any tape. I expected it would prevent me from making fine position adjustments as I stitched. I'm really not sure what purpose it serves.

Definitely remove the steering wheel. It takes all of 10 minutes makes it 10x easier to do a good job with the fabrication.

I recommend having three needles available when stitching the cover. That allowed me to work on both sides of each spoke simultaneously and pull from both sides to keep everything centered and in the right position.

It's necessary to pull it quite tight around the spokes to stretch the fabric until it conforms to the surface beneath. Err on the side of small wrinkles in the tight corners instead of leaving it looser. Raised up 'bubbles' are super annoying under the fingers and palm.

Leave about 6" of extra thread on both ends and focus on positioning and alignment when you initially apply the stitching. Then use an O-ring pick to go back and pull it tighter where necessary. The extra 6" of thread allows you to pull the fresh excess thread through and tie another knot.
Appreciate 0