E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > FRM3 Resurrection Thread

03-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #375
danzio2020
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu_rod View Post
Thank you for the response don't mind spending the extra money on a genuine programmer as I've read its hit and miss. One question is there are a lot of buying options ($255.00 programmer only, not bad). Looks like I don't need any type of adapter right?, I just wire it off the D-Sub connector. I'm assuming they give you a data sheet with the pin outs listed. Then I just wire up the pins I need (BKGD, RESET, VDDR (5v), VSS). Thanks again for the link.
You are correct about not needing the adapter. The "Device Programmer S" option is the one you want. The programmer does not come with any accessories such as wires. The RS323/DB9 and wiring pinouts are listed in the manual, and they are also on the software (bkgd, reset, vss, and 5v are listed with their corresponding pin number in the software). To make things easier I purchased an RS323/DB9 breakout board (pictured below) and have the 4 wires attached to that.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #376
Malibu_rod
Rep
Drives: Bmw #28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzio2020 View Post
You are correct about not needing the adapter. The "Device Programmer S" option is the one you want. The programmer does not come with any accessories such as wires. The RS323/DB9 and wiring pinouts are listed in the manual, and they are also on the software (bkgd, reset, vss, and 5v are listed with their corresponding pin number in the software). To make things easier I purchased an RS323/DB9 breakout board (pictured below) and have the 4 wires attached to that.

Thanks again for the help I order the programmer and I was actually looking at that break out board yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #377
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Anyone in thy GTA (Greater Toronto Area) do this? I just had a buddy's FRM3 crash on coding. If you can flash an eeprom, PM me
      06-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #378
jimmyliupa
Rep
Drives: 328i

Hi, I am hoping this is the right thread to post my issue here.

I recently tried to code out the headlight error on dash using bimmercode for my 2011 328i after installing new headlights and LEDs. But I got this error message: FRM3_89 errors memory contains critical error. I thought My footwell module was bad so I went to the BMW dealer for replacement given the extended warranty on footwell module. Dealer checked it and did not find anything wrong with the footwell module.

Now bimmercode is unusable and I definitely dont know anything about coding. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Last edited by jimmyliupa; 06-19-2020 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #379
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyliupa View Post
Hi, I am hoping this is the right thread to post my issue here.

I recently tried to code out the headlight error on dash using bimmercode for my 2011 328i after installing new headlights and LEDs. But I got this error message: FRM3_89 errors memory contains critical error. I thought My footwell module was bad so I went to the BMW dealer for replacement given the extended warranty on footwell module. Dealer checked it and did not find anything wrong with the footwell module.

Now bimmercode is unusable and I definitely dont know anything about coding. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
Use actual laptop software. The apps that have frm3 checks are wrong a lot of the times. I used to use Carly specifically before coding frm3 to check for errors and I noticed that I was able to code he majority of them fine with ncs expert even though the app said it was faulty. Bimmergeeks.net/downloads
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #380
egaille
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335d

Hi,
I am new to the forum. I'm french. My car is a 2011 BMW 335d E92 with Xenon, adaptative headlights.

Fisrt of all, thank you very much for all the information posted here. It has been of great help to understand the BMW architecture. And thank you for the help you could bring to me...

I hope this is the right place to post my problem :

Since a few weeks,
- my windows started to malfunction : When i close my windows (driver or passenger) up to middle, i can't get them down. I need to go all way up to be able to open them again.
- Same behavior if i open the windows to the middle : i can't get them up until they are all way down...
BUT all other functions seem to work fine...
I tried every reset method i could find for my windows, but none worked or even happened to do something (press button and wait 20s, or 2x up / 2x down, etc).

I'm guessing the FRM3 module is the problem. Do you confirm?

Would a WinKFP reprogramming (with VIN) + FA writing to the FRM3 module, be sufficient to fix the problem?
Or do these symptoms mean the EEprom is corrupted and must be re-flashed ?

I downloaded the Gimmergeek standard tools suite, and the SP-Daten (E89) v66. I installed it following tutorials. I updated all tool's databases with the SP-Daten files. All seems ok.
I have a D-Can K USB Cable coming home soon.

Thank you all very much for your advices.

Last edited by egaille; 06-24-2020 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 09:36 PM   #381
Virtual Factoid
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2011 N52K AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by egaille View Post
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I'm french. My car is a 2011 BMW 335d E92 with Xenon, adaptative headlights.

Fisrt of all, thank you very much for all the information posted here. It has been of great help to understand the BMW architecture. And thank you for the help you could bring to me...

I hope this is the right place to post my problem :

Since a few weeks,
- my windows started to malfunction : When i close my windows (driver or passenger) up to middle, i can't get them down. I need to go all way up to be able to open them again.
- Same behavior if i open the windows to the middle : i can't get them up until they are all way down...
BUT all other functions seem to work fine...
I tried every reset method i could find for my windows, but none worked or even happened to do something (press button and wait 20s, or 2x up / 2x down, etc).

I'm guessing the FRM3 module is the problem. Do you confirm?

Would a WinKFP reprogramming (with VIN) + FA writing to the FRM3 module, be sufficient to fix the problem?
Or do these symptoms mean the EEprom is corrupted and must be re-flashed ?

I downloaded the Gimmergeek standard tools suite, and the SP-Daten (E89) v66. I installed it following tutorials. I updated all tool's databases with the SP-Daten files. All seems ok.
I have a D-Can K USB Cable coming home soon.

Thank you all very much for your advices.
Step #1 would be to verify if you are able to communicate with your FRM3 module using the tools suite. Try the read functions and see if you are able to read anything from it. If this does not work (you will not be able to communicate at all if it is "bricked") then it is time for the surgery mentioned in this thread i.e. remove it from your car, solder the wires read from DFlash and all the good stuff.

Your situation sounds bad in the sense that it is an annoying limitation but it is still nowhere near as bad as a completely busted module with headlights permanently on high-beams, windows not working at all etc. Remember that it is possible to make your current situation far worse by doing something wrong with WinKfp. Not trying to discourage you - just doing a risk/benefit analysis.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #382
Mike Atkisson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Has anyone run into an issue where the Xprog software will not run? I have tried the version on the CD as well as downloading from 2 different Mega sites. Everything else seems fine until I try to start the Xprog software. I get a small spinning circle for a few seconds then nothing happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #383
Ratnik
Banned
Rep
Drives: 530 xD Msport 2016

Is it possible to recover this frm module?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #384
Virtual Factoid
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2011 N52K AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratnik View Post
Is it possible to recover this frm module?
The 14 pin IC in the photo on the left appears to be burnt. I couldn't find a schematic for the board online - that would have been helpful since this is all proprietary stuff with no visible markers/labels plus the entire thing is doused in a layer of conformal coating.

You could try desoldering the same one off of another sacrificial busted board and replace the burnt one with that but I am not sure it is worth all that effort. There could be further damage beyond that component.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 03:36 PM   #385
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

has anyone ever figured out how to prevent the frm from burning out from over under voltage /short circuit or what ever?

Like placing a fuse in line or replacing oem fuse with a smaller fuse or some kind of voltage stabilizer?

Im troubleshooting a short in the car and would hate to go trough a dozen frms before i find where the short is
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:01 AM   #386
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 MT6spd 4door

where can I buy an xprog box

where can I buy xprog box and what version to use on my 2010 bmw 328i? FRM3R module faulty and I would like purchase one. searched online but couldnt really find one
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #387
Monty2010
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

can this one be revived?

This is from a 2010 328i (built in 11/2009 according to realOEM).
I made a cardinal sin last weekend when I replaced the valve cover gasket. I caused a tiniest spark and I think that might be caused the eprom corruption. Needlessly to say, I have no power window, no internal light, turning blinkers. It is also possible it's due to the battery that I replace many years ago started dying especially with the less frequent driving nowadays.

Anyhow, I have removed the FRM and it's attached. I want to try to repair it rather than replace. Can this particular one be repaired? I see a bunch of eBayer listed the latest part number, 61359390491. This one is an original piece and I don't want to ship it around the country and only to find it's not repairable.

Any comment would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #388
Monty2010
Rep

I had a mobile mechanic fixed my FRM problem and now I have signals, windows, lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #389
cyangqd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010 X5

This is what I am experiencing.
Mine is 2010 BMW X5. My battery died first. We replaced the battery but found the turn left/right, window stopped working. I found this thread and it talks the same issue I am facing. Unfortunately, my BMW was 2010 and warranty was expired in 2020. Dealer said it was about $1000 to replace the FRM. I decided to try it myself.

I got the footwell from the car, purchased the xprog 6.1.2, installed the software on a Windows, soldered the wires to the FRM board.
I am trying to read MCU/MC9S12XEQ384_Dflash, EEE etc. But I got the error msg 'Can't get access to BDM'. I tried to read the FRM with/without 12v power, with/without BDM adaptor. But still getting the same msg 'Can't get access to BDM'.

Anyone had the same problem before? Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by cyangqd; 01-14-2021 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:19 PM   #390
cyangqd
Registered
Rep

I think I figured out what was wrong. I didn't wire it correctly. I am not sure if the xprog version matters. I followed the wire instruction on youtube, but it turned out it is different than the xprog I use.
Xprog I use is 6.1.2 and the xprog on youtube is something like 5.5.

After rewiring, I was able to read the dflash and write back to EEE. Will try it in my car today.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #391
cyangqd
Registered
Rep

It works.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 07:18 AM   #392
eku1s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i M Sport 2011 LCI

Hi Folks,

Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I wanted to make sure the right people got visibility of this.

I stupidly coded a new VO to my car (CAS and NFRM modules) yesterday with a low battery (yes.. I know!), however I did not modify any of the parameters on the FRM3, so it hasn't reset.

So far, the FRM3 is still working with no issues.

However, what I'm concerned about is when I change my battery, it'll brick the FRM3 as the module hasn't rebooted yet and might try to boot from corrupt firmware.

Is there anything I can do to try and prevent this from happening, before I disconnect the battery? Perhaps write a new VO to the module or do an SG_CODERIEN with the engine running to maintain power and ensure no corrupt data gets written?

Unfortunately, I don't have a power supply.

Is this something that's possible or am I out of luck?

Really don't want to have to get anyone to re-flash it during this pandemic situation as the company in the UK which does it is about 100 miles away from me, and travelling is something we're not allowed to do right now...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

Last edited by eku1s; 02-05-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #393
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eku1s View Post
Hi Folks,

Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I wanted to make sure the right people got visibility of this.

I stupidly coded a new VO to my car (CAS and NFRM modules) yesterday with a low battery (yes.. I know!), however I did not modify any of the parameters on the FRM3, so it hasn't reset.

So far, the FRM3 is still working with no issues.

However, what I'm concerned about is when I change my battery, it'll brick the FRM3 as the module hasn't rebooted yet and might try to boot from corrupt firmware.

Is there anything I can do to try and prevent this from happening, before I disconnect the battery? Perhaps write a new VO to the module or do an SG_CODERIEN with the engine running to maintain power and ensure no corrupt data gets written?

Unfortunately, I don't have a power supply.

Is this something that's possible or am I out of luck?

Really don't want to have to get anyone to re-flash it during this pandemic situation as the company in the UK which does it is about 100 miles away from me, and travelling is something we're not allowed to do right now...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke
Coding the frm reboots it, so if the eeprom data is corrupt then it'll brick itself. You can have power supply connected to car but that won't help you if the frm3 is faulty. Remember, not all frm3 modules are corrupt, yours could be completely fine. There's nothing preventatively you can do from the obd port as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #394
Monty2010
Rep

Where did you purchased xprog? Pls pm me as I may need to do this in the future as well. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyangqd View Post
I think I figured out what was wrong. I didn't wire it correctly. I am not sure if the xprog version matters. I followed the wire instruction on youtube, but it turned out it is different than the xprog I use.
Xprog I use is 6.1.2 and the xprog on youtube is something like 5.5.

After rewiring, I was able to read the dflash and write back to EEE. Will try it in my car today.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:27 PM   #395
littlecreatures
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Anyone in Sydney recommended for repairing one of these?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 12:25 AM   #396
cawwt
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

This is a GREAT thread. Thanks for all the information.

I wished I had found this earlier though.

TL;DR Try it with the China clone XProg 5.55 if you want to shorten your life by a few years!

If anyone in the San Francisco bay area have a good programmer, please contact me. I am willing to pay you to fix my FRM3. Getting a XProg 5.60 may work, but that will mean waiting for another few weeks to ship from China.

XProg 5.55 box, as others have said, fails on read verification very often. If I kept reading, in some cases I can get a successful read/verification. After collecting a few successful reads, I converted them into eee. Diff shows that they are all the same. The dflash_to_eee also reported correct VIN number, production date and serial number. So the EEE file may be valid.

The problem is that Xprog 5.55 is so unstable that I am not sure if the write is good or not. I was trying to be smart to do a write, then read it back until I get no verification error, then I diff the read file against the one I flashed. I found no diff. But unfortunately no success. So, at this point, I am not sure if my dflash read was a success or not.
Appreciate 0