E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Phantom Codes w/o Idiot Lights?

08-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i Coupe

Phantom Codes w/o Idiot Lights?

Hi All,

I have been checking out a few cars lately, some had some known issues, some with hidden issues etc. I finally found a nice car with decent mileage ('08 e92 w/130k) and no lights on the dash other than a rear taillight (the inner trunk light, which did not even come up in Bimmerlink wtf!)

The problem is, these codes I pulled up with Bimmerlink (for some reason, my Foxwell NT510 did not pull any codes at all) and myself and the current owner are not sure if they make sense at all. As you will see below, several are related to the DSC system, which should definitely tell me if there is an issue via idiot lights.

My first guess is a faulty or dying battery. Through Bimmerlink, I got the following message about the battery as the owner told me he has not driven the car much lately since getting a new car:
91 ah Capacity
37% State of Charge

Owner states battery was replaced less than 1 year ago. Could this be an issue?

If not, here are the codes Bimmerlink pulled up, while Foxwell NT510 had no faults at all

-2A00- Secondary Air System (no other info given, but is this serious?)

-55C6- CAN MESSAGE SPEED CYCLE,CE (not sure what this is, maybe speed sensor?)

-5F13- Brake pad wear, REAR (pads replaced, I will clear that code)
-5EBA- Steering Angle Sensor: Status Error, Steering angle signal invalid or steering angle signal only relative. Center position unknown, Learning quadrant active. Steer to the stop. (My guess is here just reset by doing the reset going lock to lock)
-5E51- Radderhungfuehler- Front Right Dynamic Signal Loss registered, Gutpuefunf after resolved defect required (no idea here)
-5DD2- UZ Supply Voltage_ Terminal 15 error: Voltage peak on Uz (no idea)
-5F3A- Transfer Case EU: VG Fault- Clutch is in open position- Rear wheel Drive! ( I would think YAY free Xdelete, but no way that car was in RWD mode when I drove it so this code is freaking me out)
-5F45- Brake Fluid level too low (I will add brake fluid and reset)

-A669- Error interior light- (non issue, I will find the light and replace it)
-A559- KL40g_f shutdown (no idea what this means)
-A554- Alive phone (guessing SOS?)

That being said, the car was in great condition drove great and the owner took very good care of it. I would just love to know if any of these issues are really concerning, or if it is something with the battery and might need replacing.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

That just means the battery is low on charge, and needs a good recharge. If the battery was faulty you would have a "battery worn out" code. A low battery can cause all sorts of strange faults. Charge up the battery, clear faults, drive it and see what comes back. Most of those are really nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
... '08 e92 w/130k) and no lights on the dash other than a rear taillight... here are the codes Bimmerlink pulled up, while Foxwell NT510 had no faults at all
-2A00- Secondary Air System (no other info given, but is this serious?)
-55C6- CAN MESSAGE SPEED CYCLE,CE (not sure what this is, maybe speed sensor?)
-5F13- Brake pad wear, REAR (pads replaced, I will clear that code)
-5EBA- Steering Angle Sensor: Status Error, Steering angle signal invalid or steering angle signal only relative. Center position unknown, Learning quadrant active. Steer to the stop. (My guess is here just reset by doing the reset going lock to lock)
-5E51- Radderhungfuehler- Front Right Dynamic Signal Loss registered, Gutpuefunf after resolved defect required (no idea here)
-5DD2- UZ Supply Voltage_ Terminal 15 error: Voltage peak on Uz (no idea)
-5F3A- Transfer Case EU: VG Fault- Clutch is in open position- Rear wheel Drive! ( I would think YAY free Xdelete, but no way that car was in RWD mode when I drove it so this code is freaking me out)
-5F45- Brake Fluid level too low (I will add brake fluid and reset)
-A669- Error interior light- (non issue, I will find the light and replace it)
-A559- KL40g_f shutdown (no idea what this means)
-A554- Alive phone (guessing SOS?) ...
I don't know anything about "Bimmerlink", but the FIRST thing you want to know about ANY fault code you see in (1) Fault Memory, (2) Info Memory, or (3) Memory History (YES, BMW has THREE types of Fault Memory) is: Is the Fault CURRENTLY PRESENT??? The Second is: WHEN/ At WHAT Mileage/km was the Fault Code Saved. The Third is: what is DEFINITION of that Fault Code.

All this is VERY important when you are assessing a car whose history is unknown or questionable. INPA will give you ALL that Information and MORE. If a Fault Code in Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) was intermittent or has been remedied, the Fault will STILL appear in Fault Memory UNTIL it is cleared with a Scan Tool. HOWEVER, even after it is cleared from Fault Memory, it may STILL remain in "Infospeicher" or "Historyspeicher", depending upon the Module involved (DME/Engine Control Module has all three "Memories").

I presume you are aware that some fault codes to NOT cause a warning light, and others, such as fluid level, the warning light will go out when the reservoir is filled properly. Other codes that would cause the SES to light ONLY cause it to light when the fault is "Currently Present" (Momentan Vorhanden).

So I would encourage you to try to understand exactly WHAT codes Bimmerlink is actually showing you (Fehlerspeicher vs. Infospeicher?), and what it is capable of showing you, as you may be misunderstanding what you are seeing.

MOST of the codes you list COULD be related to Battery replacement, Brake Pad replacement, etc. For instance, when the battery is disconnected, that frequently causes errors such as the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) fault. That Fault would cause the DSC Warning Light on the Instrument Cluster until, as you suggest, the Steering Wheel is turned "Lock-to-Lock" once or twice after battery reconnected. The Light goes out, but the Fault Code remains in Memory, at least Info Memory, until CLEARED with Scan Tool. When brake pads were replaced it is possible that fluid level was low, but was since topped-up, causing the warning light on Cluster to go OFF. Memory Remembers until CLEARED. No "Lobotomy" conducted.

Here is an example of the information you can get using BMW Fault Code Lookup:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/

Entering "2A00" in the Fault Code Search Box, leaving "Engine" blank, and answering Captcha yields this Definition, and the Fault Information sheet linked below:
N51 | P0491 | 2A00 | DME: Secondary air system | MSV80
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...QANQAxADAANAA=

If you are NOT aware of the difference between N51 "SULEV" Engine & its systems such as Air Injection, Radiator, Fuel Tank, from those of N52 engine, you might want to learn about that, as well as whether there is any 150,000 SULEV Warranty left in your state.

I would suggest taking the time to lookup EACH of the Fault Codes you list and draw your own conclusions as to which of them may STILL be present, and your comfort level in ASSuming they are ALL gone except the bulb fail (FRM) Code.

I would also suggest spending $45 for a K+DCAN Cable and Downloading BMW Standard Tools, which includes INPA diagnostic software. This is particularly important for those who want to keep their E9x AND Maintain it properly themselves. DIAGNOSIS can be expensive when done by others, and possibly MORE expensive when done WRONG by ANYONE.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you Gbalthrop. I am hoping simply driving the car around and charging up the battery should remove the phantom codes. As you mentioned they might be previously stored codes that were fixed, but I do not think the Bimmerlink app tells me if they are current or previous. I will make sure my NT510 works properly when I go back this week to hopefully take it home.

The 5F3A bothers me the most, but I really doubt I was in RWD mode. If anybody has any other input on that I would greatly appreciate it as I would hate to have a transfer case issue at this time. I could just do Xdelete and forget about it, but that is if I had no choice. If there is an issue with the Transfer Case I will simply not buy the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
... I am hoping simply driving the car around and charging up the battery should remove the phantom codes... The 5F3A bothers me the most, but I really doubt I was in RWD mode.
I'm curious to know WHERE you got the Term/Concept "Phantom Codes"?? A Fault Code is a Fault Code. Differing from the "confused concept" that "Everything always goes away", a fault code REMAINS in Module Memory UNTIL cleared with a Scan Tool. A Fault Code that was saved in a control module remains there until CLEARED, regardless of whether the Fault Condition was intermittent or NOT. If the Fault IS intermittent, or if it resulted from a condition that is No Longer Present, the Fault is "NOT Currently Present" / "Momentan NICHT Vorhanden", and a Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software capable of reading the COMPLETE Information saved in a Control Module will tell you that.

If you already have another BMW E9x, the BEST way to (1) diagnose Faults related to ANY Module is with BMW standard Tools/INPA, or with ISTA. If the Documentation that came with your current Scan Tool/ Software, or any that is available for it online (Customer Support?) does NOT explain the capabilities of the device, or define the terms appearing on the Screen, WHY would you use it? HOW is it reliable under those circumstances? "A Code", number xxxx, was saved at some undefined time/mileage in the past, and you don't know if it is Currently Present, how many times it was saved, or even IF it would have cause a Warning Light???

I don't mean to be harsh with YOU, but there are a number of Scan Tools that have targeted owners of certain brands with "Faux Tech", appealing to the human instinct to feel "smug" about owning "Brand X", and taking advantage of their lack of knowledge of the type and amount of data that CAN be obtained from the ~ 20 Control Modules in the vehicle, using "Factory-Level Software" (INPA). So you get "deluged" with a LOT of unexplained numbers/ values, WITHOUT any clue as to the significance or meaning of those numbers, or how to use them.

ONE of the ways that you can approach diagnosing an issue is to RECORD/ SAVE all the Information saved in Fault Memory (Fault Codes, Freeze Frame Data, & Fault Details including mileage when code saved); THEN after saving the data, CLEAR the Fault Codes and see if they return. If a particular code NEVER returns, then it was the result of some momentary "Hiccup" such as a communication error between Modules in a Bus Line, Power Supply Interruption, etc.

When you are trying to Evaluate a prospective purchase, using INPA to read Fault Memory of ALL types (Fehlerspeicher = Fault Memory, Infospeicher & Historyspeicher) gives you insight into both CURRENT and PREVIOUS Faults recorded in Fault Memory, since clearing Feherspeicher does NOT clear Infospeicher or Historyspeicher. Anyone who is paying for a 'PPI" (Pre-Purchase Inspection) should ask the tech who proposes to do that for a $Fee$, WHAT exactly he will do for that FEE, and if he does NOT propose to read that Fault History, perhaps you need to go elsewhere.

As you probably know, here is the BMW Fault Code Definition of "5F3A", depending upon the VGSG/VTG Variant:
5F3A | DSC: Transfer case: internal | dxc_90
5F3A | DSC: Transfer case & Special transmission: Malfunction | dxc8

Perhaps the applicable definition means something to an "Expert" with X-drive systems, but it would appear to me that it could mean anything from a momentary "hiccup" such as power supply interruption, or momentary PT-CAN Bus error, to a major issue within the Transfer Case, the Actuator Motor, etc.

If you have followed the E9x Forums for a few years as I have, you may have an opinion/ recall of threads similar to the my recollection: I have NOT seen more than one or two "horror stories" of issues with the car's performance or function that were purportedly related to the Transfer case. I HAVE SEEN multiple threads related to replacement of the VGSG Actuator Motor, and even MORE threads related to the "54C6" Oil Wear Fault Code. That Oil Wear code often occurs at ~ 130,000+ miles, as it did in my case, and does NOT cause ANY Warning Lamp or performance issue. You ONLY find it if you read codes in the VGSG Module. A Drain & Refill of the Transfer Case, and resetting of "Resistance Class" is all that is required, although getting access to the Fill Plug can be tricky, and the car must be elevated & LEVEL to properly refill (4 Ramps/Pedestals, or 4 Jack Stands, OR a LIFT ;-)

Hope to see you become a "Regular" on the Forum, and that you can share your expertise related to Diagnosing the VGSG.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
solo118
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you again for your assistance. My terminology might be incorrect, but I am simply speaking about codes that pop up on the code reader however they do not have active lights on the cluster of the car.

I agree a fault code is a fault code, but I am trying to figure out the seriousness of these codes as the cluster does not give any lights/warnings other than the rear tail light issue (gets a ! on cluster)
Appreciate 0