E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 328i Crank only, no start! Help?

07-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

2007 328i Crank only, no start! Help?

Okay guys so I’ve pretty much have checked everything I can think of and I still can’t figure out why my 2007 328i isn’t starting. I have crank but no start. Any additional help or input would be highly appreciated!
- Fuel pump is good and it’s new. Primes and voltage is good. Fuel rail has pressure.
- Did a spark test. I am getting spark.
- Starter is new.
- Swapped fuel pump relay.
- All 6 spark plugs are new.
- VANOS solenoids are new.
- Crankshaft position sensor is new.
- Battery is new along with power distribution box

So far no luck. It’s leading me to believe it might be issues with the CAS and DME. Maybe communication between both modules? Either that or last thing I can think of, is a timing issue or something with the VANOS units. I’ll have to inspect it when I take off the valve cover. I know these cars aren’t known for timing issues but it could be a possibility.

I’ve cleared all the codes, and here’s what I’ve got back after rescanning and a few cranks.

- 29DB - Smooth running, segment timing
- 2A3F - Valvetronic, actuator motor: power supply
- 2A99 - Crankshaft - exhaust camshaft, reference
- 2A77 - Control module, internal fault: Valvetronic output stage

- CAS | A0B4 - Engine start, starter operation
- CAS | A0B2 - Supply, terminal 30e/30L

Any input guys?
Literally losing my mind
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by esg View Post
... 2007 328i isn’t starting. I have crank but no start...- Swapped fuel pump relay. [what relay was "Swapped" and where is it located? Photo?]...
I’ve cleared all the codes, [Did you record codes and Freeze Frame Data BEFORE you cleared codes?] and here’s what I’ve got back after rescanning and a few cranks.
- 29DB - Smooth running, segment timing
- 2A3F - Valvetronic, actuator motor: power supply [Clue #1]
- 2A99 - Crankshaft - exhaust camshaft, reference [Clue #2]
- 2A77 - Control module, internal fault: Valvetronic output stage

- CAS | A0B4 - Engine start, starter operation
- CAS | A0B2 - Supply, terminal 30e/30L [Clue #3]
My initial SWAG would be that your DME & CAS are fine, but you have a Power Supply issue, or perhaps a sensor INPUT issue (no CPS signal?) which could more easily be diagnosed if you had INPA installed on a laptop, or a Scan Tool or Software that can read Relay Status or Terminal Status with Ignition off and Ignition ON. May be something as simple as a blown fuse, loose Connector, or bad Relay.

1) 29DB suggests an issue with the Crankshaft Position Sensor, its Connector, or wiring between the Sensor & DME. Did you have the "Crank, No Fire" issue BEFORE you replaced the CPS?

2) ALL the codes COULD be due to Power Supply issues, but we need to know the Build Month/Year of your vehicle to provide the CORRECT wiring diagrams and Fuse References, as the JB (Junction Box) Fuse layout and E-box fuses & relays changed significantly as of 3/1/2007 in the middle of the 2007 Model Run.

3) What Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software do you have access to? If you had INPA, we could suggest some CAS Screens that would be helpful in diagnosing Terminals powered, or NOT.

4) Can you provide "Freeze Frame Data" or a "Snapshot" of system conditions when the codes you list were saved in the DME or CAS? We are particularly interested in any VOLTAGE readings related to any of the Fault Codes.

5) Have you checked to determine that BOTH fuses F4 & F51 are intact, as they power the CAS Module on your model?

With your Build Month/Year & answers to questions above, we can suggest next steps.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
My initial SWAG would be that your DME & CAS are fine, but you have a Power Supply issue, or perhaps a sensor INPUT issue (no CPS signal?) which could more easily be diagnosed if you had INPA installed on a laptop, or a Scan Tool or Software that can read Relay Status or Terminal Status with Ignition off and Ignition ON. May be something as simple as a blown fuse, loose Connector, or bad Relay.

1) 29DB suggests an issue with the Crankshaft Position Sensor, its Connector, or wiring between the Sensor & DME. Did you have the "Crank, No Fire" issue BEFORE you replaced the CPS?

2) ALL the codes COULD be due to Power Supply issues, but we need to know the Build Month/Year of your vehicle to provide the CORRECT wiring diagrams and Fuse References, as the JB (Junction Box) Fuse layout and E-box fuses & relays changed significantly as of 3/1/2007 in the middle of the 2007 Model Run.

3) What Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software do you have access to? If you had INPA, we could suggest some CAS Screens that would be helpful in diagnosing Terminals powered, or NOT.

4) Can you provide "Freeze Frame Data" or a "Snapshot" of system conditions when the codes you list were saved in the DME or CAS? We are particularly interested in any VOLTAGE readings related to any of the Fault Codes.

5) Have you checked to determine that BOTH fuses F4 & F51 are intact, as they power the CAS Module on your model?

With your Build Month/Year & answers to questions above, we can suggest next steps.

George
Thanks George!

1) Yes, Crank no fire before replacing CPS.
2) Build date is 04/07
3) I have access to INPA, ISTA and BimmerGeeks ProTool. I'm not that advanced with these softwares but I'm always willing to learn and mess around with them as much as possible. Open to it.
4) Where do I grab the Freeze Frame data information from?
5) Haven't checked them yet, I'll check them and make sure they're good.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #4
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The relay I swapped was the blue one in the DME box. Followed a youtube video on it.
Some codes I had before I cleared were;

2A99 crankshaft exhaust camshaft, reference
2a31 valvetronic eccentric shaft sensor, guide
2a32 valvetronic eccentric shaft sensor, plausibility
2a80 intake vanos, activation
2a85 exhaust vanos, activation
2a77 control mnodule, internal fault: Valvetronic output stage
2a3f valvetronic, actuator motor: power supply
2e98 bsd, message; electric coolant pump, missing
2e85 bsd, message; alternator missing
2ab4: dme, internal fault: ram checksum
a731 supply terminal 30g-f
a0b4 engine start, starter operation
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Ista is very easy to use and everything is in English.
It has guided troubleshooting.
Start it have it read the car and do a complete test .
It will return the error codes in English and give suggested
procedures for the problems for most everything that
generates codes.

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lkXEhlQYy4i9Nb
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...1&d=1590283589
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:21 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
1) Yes, Crank no fire before replacing CPS.
2) Build date is 04/07
3) I have access to INPA, ISTA and BimmerGeeks ProTool...
4) Where do I grab the Freeze Frame data information from?
5) Haven't checked them yet, I'll check them and make sure they're good. [F4 & F51]
Since you indicate you have INPA, I would suggest finding a time when you have at least an hour, or even two hours, where you can assimilate the information below and experiment with the INPA Screens described below, to get a working understanding/ CONCEPT of WHAT INPA can do, and HOW you can use it, in addition to "harvesting"/Saving the screens described so that you can attach them here, and we can ALL learn something together.

1) Using INPA, Freeze Frame Data is on same screen as Fault Code Definition, and you need to connect to the specific Module, DME or CAS, to read those Codes, select F4 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data Screen (for DME), and SAVE those screens so you can attach them here. As a FIRST Step, I would suggest doing that, and I'll walk you through the procedure below.

2) Using INPA, you can also view "F5 Status" Screens when connected to the CAS Module which show if certain Relays or "Terminals" are activating as they should when you (1) put the Remote Key in the Insert Compartment; when you (2) Press START button, WITHOUT pressing Brake or Clutch, just turning Ignition ON; when you (3) Press START button again with foot on Brake/Clutch Pedal

3) Using INPA, you can also view "F5 Status" Screen when connected to the DME Module which will show if "Terminal 87", the DME Main Relay, is being activated when you turn Ignition on.

The Status Screens show INPUTS to the CAS & DME Modules, as received by those Modules from Sensors or Voltage measurements, and indicate if everything is "Powering-Up" properly. Any time the Starter does NOT crank the engine, OR you have a "Crank but No Start" issue as here, determining what is NOT powered should be the first step.

I. INPA F4 Fault Memory; Fault Definitions & Freeze Frame Data:

A) to read Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data in DME:

1) At INPA opening Sript Selection Screen (after selecting "E90") scroll down to "Engine" in Left Listbox, press Tab to navigate to Right-hand Listbox, and scroll down to "MSV80 for N52KP" which is the Variant of DME or Engine Control Module in your late 2007 328i; press Enter
2) The Main Menu (Hauptmenu) should appear; press < F4 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen)
3) Fault Memory Main Menu (Fehlerspeicher Hauptmenu) MSV80 should appear; press < F1 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen) [as opposed to Infospeicher or Historyspeicher memory]
4) Fault Memory Issues (Fehlerspeicher Ausgaben) Menu should appear; press Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data (Fehlerspeicher mit freeze frame Daten)
5) View & SAVE the entire INPA Screen for EACH Fault Code in DME Memory; Scroll Up/Down or PgUp/PgDn as needed to view & SAVE all info for each Fault Code. Basically: use Shft+SrtSc to save screen to working memory, open Windows Paint (Windows Accessory Photo Editor) and "Ctrl+V" paste the INPA Screen to Paint; SaveAs a jpg file in Folder YOU create for future reference. If NOT familiar with that process, see step-by-step in attached "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf, which also has sample screens found in "Functional Jobs" INPA function.

B. To Read Fault Code Definitions & Details in CAS:

1) In Script Selection Dialog Box, Scroll down to Body/Karosserie in Left Listbox, Press Tab key to Navigate to Right Listbox, Scroll down to "Car Access System" in Right Listbox and press Enter
2) The CAS Main Menu (Hauptmenu) should appear; press F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher)
3) The Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) Menu should appear; press < F1 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen)
4) Fault Memory with Definition & Details should appear; view & SAVE ALL screens showing Fault Details as you did in DME fault memory above.

II. INPA F5 Status Screens, Connected to CAS:
There is a single CAS Screen: CAS > F5 > F2 > F1 Diagnose Terminals which you want to view, and it looks like the First Screen attached below. The attached screen is what yours SHOULD look like during Starter cranking if everything was properly-powered. You want to View and SAVE that screen under 3 different conditions: (i) Remote Key NOT inserted in Insert Compartment; (ii) Remote Key inserted and Ignition ON (START button pressed & released WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch); (iii) Starter Cranking: START button pressed while pressing Brake/ Clutch; "Terminal 50" bar graph should "fill" and voltage ~ 10V should appear, but ONLY briefly during cranking.

1) Connect to CAS Module as in "I.B." above
2) At CAS Main Menu, select < F5 > Status
3) At Status Menu, select < F2 > Status Analog
4) At Status Analog Menu, select < F1 > Dianose Terminals (Klemmen) [Clamps in some incorrect translations ;-)
5) Note which bar graphs fill/show voltage values under various conditions. You can't hurt anything -- you're just observing inputs to the DME at those various conditions. Particularly Note Terminal 50 which is Starter Activation Terminal which should be powered ONLY during Starter Cranking. Notice ALSO the various KL (Terminal) designations such as KL30 (battery power), KL15 (Ignition), KL30G (Accessory Relay on JB)
6) Save the Screens under the 3 conditions identified above and post here.

NOTE: if you use Paint to "Resize" saved INPA screens to 50% (Maintain Aspect Ratio) before you post here, it will NOT blow the margins of the text.

III. INPA F5 Status Screen, Connected to DME:
Similar to the CAS Terminal Diagnosis Screen, there are INPA Screens you can view when connected to the DME to determine if the DME Main Relay, or "Terminal 87" is being activated (the Starter will Crank, BUT engine will NOT fire if KL87 isn't powered). Two different Screens from my late 2007 328xi are attached.

The path to view 2nd attached screen below is: DME > F5 Status > F2 Analog Values > F1 Analog Measure Values Group 1. The bar graph at the top-left is Terminal 87 Voltage (Kl.87 Spannung)/ Voltage Supply to DME (DME Main Relay). That voltage SHOULD be 12.0+ Volts at ALL TIMES the Ignition is ON.

The 3rd attached screen below not only Displays the voltage value at the DME Main Relay (Terminal 87), but it also allows you to test Activation of that relay by over-riding DME control of the Main Relay (Yes the DME "turns itself on" ;-) The "path" or menu sequence to view that "Activation" screen is: DME > F6 Activations > F2 > F1 Activate Terminal 87/ DME Main Relay. When Relay is "Active"/ON, the circle is filled/ darkened, and the voltage value is system voltage.

Here are the TIS wiring diagrams for the DME Main Relay and also Fuse F78 so you can get an idea of how lack of power at Terminal 87 would prevent DME Function, including NO power to Camshaft Sensors via F78:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-fault/xGCYTPF
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...200703/vHZidvZ

Please let us know how those tests go, and if any questions, I'll try to clarify.

George
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 35 views)
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
vrizzotti
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi, 1988 528e

Have (similar) issue. Changed starter and now crank shaft sensor codes. Do a new CPS and it’s still throwing the codes. No visible damage to wires. CPS is OEM. It will go into limp mode, shut car off after driving a bit. No limp mode, not much torque but shifts fine. Shut off AGAIN. No CEL and runs fine. Let sit over night, same thing as stated previously.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
vrizzotti
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi, 1988 528e

(2006 325xi)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since you indicate you have INPA, I would suggest finding a time when you have at least an hour, or even two hours, where you can assimilate the information below and experiment with the INPA Screens described below, to get a working understanding/ CONCEPT of WHAT INPA can do, and HOW you can use it, in addition to "harvesting"/Saving the screens described so that you can attach them here, and we can ALL learn something together.

1) Using INPA, Freeze Frame Data is on same screen as Fault Code Definition, and you need to connect to the specific Module, DME or CAS, to read those Codes, select F4 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data Screen (for DME), and SAVE those screens so you can attach them here. As a FIRST Step, I would suggest doing that, and I'll walk you through the procedure below.

2) Using INPA, you can also view "F5 Status" Screens when connected to the CAS Module which show if certain Relays or "Terminals" are activating as they should when you (1) put the Remote Key in the Insert Compartment; when you (2) Press START button, WITHOUT pressing Brake or Clutch, just turning Ignition ON; when you (3) Press START button again with foot on Brake/Clutch Pedal

3) Using INPA, you can also view "F5 Status" Screen when connected to the DME Module which will show if "Terminal 87", the DME Main Relay, is being activated when you turn Ignition on.

The Status Screens show INPUTS to the CAS & DME Modules, as received by those Modules from Sensors or Voltage measurements, and indicate if everything is "Powering-Up" properly. Any time the Starter does NOT crank the engine, OR you have a "Crank but No Start" issue as here, determining what is NOT powered should be the first step.

I. INPA F4 Fault Memory; Fault Definitions & Freeze Frame Data:

A) to read Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data in DME:

1) At INPA opening Sript Selection Screen (after selecting "E90") scroll down to "Engine" in Left Listbox, press Tab to navigate to Right-hand Listbox, and scroll down to "MSV80 for N52KP" which is the Variant of DME or Engine Control Module in your late 2007 328i; press Enter
2) The Main Menu (Hauptmenu) should appear; press < F4 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen)
3) Fault Memory Main Menu (Fehlerspeicher Hauptmenu) MSV80 should appear; press < F1 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen) [as opposed to Infospeicher or Historyspeicher memory]
4) Fault Memory Issues (Fehlerspeicher Ausgaben) Menu should appear; press Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data (Fehlerspeicher mit freeze frame Daten)
5) View & SAVE the entire INPA Screen for EACH Fault Code in DME Memory; Scroll Up/Down or PgUp/PgDn as needed to view & SAVE all info for each Fault Code. Basically: use Shft+SrtSc to save screen to working memory, open Windows Paint (Windows Accessory Photo Editor) and "Ctrl+V" paste the INPA Screen to Paint; SaveAs a jpg file in Folder YOU create for future reference. If NOT familiar with that process, see step-by-step in attached "INPA Tutorial Quickstart" pdf, which also has sample screens found in "Functional Jobs" INPA function.

B. To Read Fault Code Definitions & Details in CAS:

1) In Script Selection Dialog Box, Scroll down to Body/Karosserie in Left Listbox, Press Tab key to Navigate to Right Listbox, Scroll down to "Car Access System" in Right Listbox and press Enter
2) The CAS Main Menu (Hauptmenu) should appear; press F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher)
3) The Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) Menu should appear; press < F1 > Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher lesen)
4) Fault Memory with Definition & Details should appear; view & SAVE ALL screens showing Fault Details as you did in DME fault memory above.

II. INPA F5 Status Screens, Connected to CAS:
There is a single CAS Screen: CAS > F5 > F2 > F1 Diagnose Terminals which you want to view, and it looks like the First Screen attached below. The attached screen is what yours SHOULD look like during Starter cranking if everything was properly-powered. You want to View and SAVE that screen under 3 different conditions: (i) Remote Key NOT inserted in Insert Compartment; (ii) Remote Key inserted and Ignition ON (START button pressed & released WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch); (iii) Starter Cranking: START button pressed while pressing Brake/ Clutch; "Terminal 50" bar graph should "fill" and voltage ~ 10V should appear, but ONLY briefly during cranking.

1) Connect to CAS Module as in "I.B." above
2) At CAS Main Menu, select < F5 > Status
3) At Status Menu, select < F2 > Status Analog
4) At Status Analog Menu, select < F1 > Dianose Terminals (Klemmen) [Clamps in some incorrect translations ;-)
5) Note which bar graphs fill/show voltage values under various conditions. You can't hurt anything -- you're just observing inputs to the DME at those various conditions. Particularly Note Terminal 50 which is Starter Activation Terminal which should be powered ONLY during Starter Cranking. Notice ALSO the various KL (Terminal) designations such as KL30 (battery power), KL15 (Ignition), KL30G (Accessory Relay on JB)
6) Save the Screens under the 3 conditions identified above and post here.

NOTE: if you use Paint to "Resize" saved INPA screens to 50% (Maintain Aspect Ratio) before you post here, it will NOT blow the margins of the text.

III. INPA F5 Status Screen, Connected to DME:
Similar to the CAS Terminal Diagnosis Screen, there are INPA Screens you can view when connected to the DME to determine if the DME Main Relay, or "Terminal 87" is being activated (the Starter will Crank, BUT engine will NOT fire if KL87 isn't powered). Two different Screens from my late 2007 328xi are attached.

The path to view 2nd attached screen below is: DME > F5 Status > F2 Analog Values > F1 Analog Measure Values Group 1. The bar graph at the top-left is Terminal 87 Voltage (Kl.87 Spannung)/ Voltage Supply to DME (DME Main Relay). That voltage SHOULD be 12.0+ Volts at ALL TIMES the Ignition is ON.

The 3rd attached screen below not only Displays the voltage value at the DME Main Relay (Terminal 87), but it also allows you to test Activation of that relay by over-riding DME control of the Main Relay (Yes the DME "turns itself on" ;-) The "path" or menu sequence to view that "Activation" screen is: DME > F6 Activations > F2 > F1 Activate Terminal 87/ DME Main Relay. When Relay is "Active"/ON, the circle is filled/ darkened, and the voltage value is system voltage.

Here are the TIS wiring diagrams for the DME Main Relay and also Fuse F78 so you can get an idea of how lack of power at Terminal 87 would prevent DME Function, including NO power to Camshaft Sensors via F78:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-fault/xGCYTPF
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...200703/vHZidvZ

Please let us know how those tests go, and if any questions, I'll try to clarify.

George

Laptop kept freezing and bugging out so I just took some photos along the way

Heres the DME error memory with freeze frame data

CAS error memory

Ignition ON test for CAS

Cranking test for CAS

DME test

Relay 87

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Laptop kept freezing and bugging out so I just took some photos along the way [Well, at least you appear to have got the idea of using INPA. If the Green "Running" indicator in the Bottom-Left of screen keeps changing to Red "Stopped", then likely you need to change "Ports (COM & LPT), in Windows Control Panel > Device Manager, to Com Port 1 & Latency 1. If that does NOT fix "freeze"/Stopped, let us know. Cable MUST be attached to Computer USB port (BUT NOT to car OBD II Socket) to get "Ports" to appear in Device Manager.]
Heres the DME error memory with freeze frame data...
CAS error memory
Ignition ON test for CAS
Cranking test for CAS
DME test
Relay 87
I understood you to say that the Starter cranked the engine. That's what is generally what "Crank only, no start" means: the Starter turns/ cranks the engine but the engine does NOT fire.

You could NOT possibly activate the Starter and Crank the engine with ONLY 9.25V System Voltage, which is the HIGHEST voltage shown on any of the "Live Data" screens.

Please charge the battery to > 12.0 volts measured at the Jumpstart Terminals > 10 minutes after disconnecting charger, and try "Ignition ON" & "Cranking Test" again, attaching INPA screens as before (ONLY those two).

BTW, you MAY have a short-to-ground in the Wire from the CAS Module to the Starter Solenoid. The Amps/Current draw during attempted Starter Cranking (START button pressed) is WAAAY high at 28.52A. That should be in the range of 10A. If you see the Amps Value "in the Red" area of the bar graph (> 15A), STOP further pressing of START Button and post back.

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 07-13-2020 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #11
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understood you to say that the Starter cranked the engine. That's what is generally what "Crank only, no start" means: the Starter turns/ cranks the engine but the engine does NOT fire.

You could NOT possibly activate the Starter and Crank the engine with ONLY 9.25V System Voltage, which is the HIGHEST voltage shown on any of the "Live Data" screens.

Please charge the battery to > 12.0 volts measured at the Jumpstart Terminals > 10 minutes after disconnecting charger, and try "Ignition ON" & "Cranking Test" again, attaching INPA screens as before (ONLY those two).

BTW, you MAY have a short-to-ground in the Wire from the CAS Module to the Starter Solenoid. The Amps/Current draw during attempted Starter Cranking (START button pressed) is WAAAY high at 28.52A. That should be in the range of 10A. If you see the Amps Value "in the Red" area of the bar graph (> 15A), STOP further pressing of START Button and post back.

George
Yeah the starter cranks the engine but doesn't fire. Yesterday the battery was a little dead though. I did charge today until it read 12V so here are some more accurate tests.

CAS ignition test

CAS Crank test

I read 12V on ignition, but when i beginning crank it starts fluctuating between 9-11V?

This time the last bar stayed beneath the 15V mark
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #12
esg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anyone know what else it could possibly be?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the starter cranks the engine but doesn't fire. Yesterday the battery was a little dead though. I did charge today until it read 12V so here are some more accurate tests.

CAS ignition test

CAS Crank test

I read 12V on ignition, but when i beginning crank it starts fluctuating between 9-11V? This time the last bar stayed beneath the 15V mark [That's 9.78 Amps/ Current rather than Volts]
I'm still NOT clear on what your Starter is doing during "Cranking".
1) When you saved the 2nd ScreenPrint (CAS Crank test), did the Starter turn the engine at "normal" starter-crank RPM, ~ 150 RPM, and for how long?
2) Did you measure Battery Voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals, or note the KL30 reading with INPA (top bar graphs on INPA screen) AFTER the attempt to start engine?
3) Did Starter actually crank engine, or did it just click once, or ratchet-like multiple clicks?

A) Simply analyzing your 1st "Ignition test" screen, and comparing it to my "normally-starting" 328xi, your 12.85V battery voltage (KL30) in the first two lines suggests that you still have "surface charge" from having just removed the battery charger from the Jumpstart Terminals. Only thing that causes me concern is the .41 Amp Current Draw on Terminal 50 (KL50) after Ignition ON, but Starter NOT activated. That is normally "0" under those conditions. If it is ALWAYS .41 Amp with ignition on, that suggests an issue with the wiring/ connectors between the CAS & Starter Solenoid, or an internal fault in the CAS Module.

B) Your 2nd "Crank test" screen shows EXCESSIVE Voltage Drop during Starter Cranking. It is normal for the Terminal 30G, Terminal 15, and Terminal 50 Voltages to be in the 10.1V to 10.4V range during Starter cranking, but your screen shows voltages in 8.6 - 8.7V range. I don't see how the Starter can crank the engine with system voltage THAT LOW, or if it does, the voltage received by the DME is so LOW that it probably cannot function to time the Ignition and Injector Pulses.

Have you tried "Jumpstarting" with a donor vehicle battery attached to Jumpstart Terminals under hood, with donor vehicle engine RUNNING?

Just looking at the two INPA screens you have attached, it appears that either (1) you have a wiring/connector fault in the wire between the CAS Module & the Starter Solenoid, or a faulty Starter, OR
(2) you have a "bad cell" or internal fault in your battery.

Please provide answers to questions above,
George
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #14
Lucas_335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e93

Following: Studying this post to obtain data requested. I have a similar problem cranks and no start. Not sure if I need to start a new thread or add to this one. Administrator please advise. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:25 AM   #15
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_335i View Post
Following: Studying this post to obtain data requested. I have a similar problem cranks and no start. Not sure if I need to start a new thread or add to this one. Administrator please advise. Thank you.
I'm NOT an Admin, but since there are so MANY different variations on "Crank-NO Start" situations, and the things & places to check vary by build month/year, model number & Engine, it would probably be less confusing if you started a new thread with all available data (in addition to above) such as Fault Codes, Scan Tool/ Diagnostic Software available to you, mulimeter use, etc. With that, we can furnish links to wiring diagrams and Testing suggestions.

AND Welcome to the Forum!
George
Appreciate 0