E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Head unit blown. Just fed my head unit with an amplified output.

01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #45
Robbie200
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post

Just go on eBay and search for 'e90 professional'. Don't pay more than £100 - £130 or so.
I just tried that search with interesting results.

Under no circumstances should you search for "e90 professional photo". Definitely NSFW!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #46
theg00se
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Does anyone know if a CCC system out of an E60 fit an E90. Also will a CIC fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #47
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by theg00se
Does anyone know if a CCC system out of an E60 fit an E90. Also will a CIC fit.
For CIC you'd require coding + fsc code.
I'd try to repair / code HU before shelling out any money.
      01-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #48
theg00se
Private
England
Rep

Cheers buddy. The snow has put the mockers on swapping out the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #49
theg00se
Private
England
Rep

The CCC head units out of the E60 often sell for less money.
Does anyone know if they will work in an E90. the front is a little different to look at. The E90 DVD eject button is wider.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #50
theg00se
Private
England
Rep

Stripped down head unit

gIzzE, makkan00 and Frobious,

I found some time and completely stripped my head unit down into as many pieces as possible. And I found what was damaged. One of the Chips on the power board had burnt out and left a burn mark on the Chip and heat sink.

The strip down is very fiddly but as long as you take your time its not a difficult job just a bit intimidating.

Any gIzzE sent me a salvaged head unit carcass so I swapped the power board and rebuilt the unit.

Hey presto the sound is back. All channels are working but I think the original head unit was coded as HiFi because output voltage is low and without an amp you would not hear the sound.

What is peculiar is, the music, satnav and phone volumes are fine but as i was working the low battery warn alarm went and it was really loud. The ice warning is very loud as well.

Any Ideas?

Hopefully the attached pictures will help anyone who has to strip their heads down.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #51
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by theg00se View Post
gIzzE, makkan00 and Frobious,

I found some time and completely stripped my head unit down into as many pieces as possible. And I found what was damaged. One of the Chips on the power board had burnt out and left a burn mark on the Chip and heat sink.

The strip down is very fiddly but as long as you take your time its not a difficult job just a bit intimidating.

Any gIzzE sent me a salvaged head unit carcass so I swapped the power board and rebuilt the unit.

Hey presto the sound is back. All channels are working but I think the original head unit was coded as HiFi because output voltage is low and without an amp you would not hear the sound.

What is peculiar is, the music, satnav and phone volumes are fine but as i was working the low battery warn alarm went and it was really loud. The ice warning is very loud as well.

Any Ideas?

Hopefully the attached pictures will help anyone who has to strip their heads down.

Thats what is called as real effort. Impressed! And credit to gIzzE for sending you HU.

If it is already coded to hi-fi, then what else you could ask for?

HU---> amplifiers which can accept differential balanced input and you will be smiling all day.
      01-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #52
theg00se
Private
England
Rep

Thank you Mak. I've got a few more thing to figure out yet before i will be happy but i'm really please that i have my sound back.

The sound is really quite good and i have yet to fine tune the settings but the warning tones when a door is not shut properly or the hand brake is left on is ridiculously loud.

I am going to remove the head unit again and try swapping the audio boards and see if that aligns the volume levels. My guess is that the music system is coded as a HiFi system (low voltage) but the warning system is coded as base stereo (Higher voltage). As the base coded systems produce speaker level outputs i assume this would cause the difference in volume levels.
If my guess is correct would a recode to HiFi fix the problem?

My system currently uses a JL Cleansweep to normalise the audio signal. If i have my system coded to HiFi would there be any benefit in leaving the processor in place or should i remove it. Also i am running an Infinity 6 channel amp and i do not if this is an amp that can accept a balanced differential inputs.

Can anyone point me to a post that explains what balanced differential means.

I'm using the cable that energises the aerial to remote switch the cleansweep and Amplifer on and off. It works but it not ideal because this solution switches on when the doors are unlocked rather than when the head unit is switched on, and powers down roughly 5 minutes after the you have turned the car off and locked the door.
Can anyone identify a relay which is sensitive enough to sense the low voltage that comes from the speaker feeds from head unit. i am thinking of using that to switch the amp on and off or does anyone have an alternative solution.

Sorry for the long post but as one question get answered it raises another.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #53
theg00se
Private
England
Rep

Does anyone know how to turn the volume of the warning chimes down?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #54
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

It seems you have an aftermarket amp and have yet to hear your system since installing the amp. Depending on how you've set your amp gains may be the issue as well. You can adjust the gong a bit (between -4 and +4 if I recall correctly) under some setting on the head unit but that doesn't help much. Music, phone and navigation (I'm not sure about navigation as I don't have it) volume can be adjusted by the volume knob while the gong volume is mostly fixed, so if your amp gains are set too high the head unit puts out the gong at it's standard level but your aftermarket amp amplifies it to a ridiculous level. Your music, phone or navigation isn't as loud because you can simply turn down the volume for those. You need to make sure you've set your amp gains with the head unit set at its maximum undistorted level, which is around 51 clicks of the knob. It helps to use test tones. I'm not familiar with the Cleansweep (like if it as a user-adjustable gain/volume), so I'm not sure how it'll affect this.