E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Limp mode - many codes :(

06-30-2018, 09:53 PM   #1
DriveBikeRun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 M Sport

Well, this car has been pretty much flawless for the 9 months I have owned it, so I guess I am due, lol. 2011 E90 N55 w/25k, MHD stage 1 flashed a few weeks ago, then catted DP last week and stage 2+, all was good. DIY 90% for the last 25+ years, and I've done all maint and mods so far on this one.

New Delphi coils and NGK plugs right before flashing MHD. I think I had the plugs gapped a little tight (0.020") as the stone cold idle had a little miss, so pulled them out today to regap to about 0.026-0.028". Here's where it gets interesting...

Went for a test drive after reinstalling the plugs. First 10 minutes was fine, letting the oil come up to temp, under 50% throttle. Then when I went WOT in 3rd, got the yellow half engine and loss of power. Thought for sure I must have not put something together right. I was only a couple miles from home and the oil temp was fine, so I limped it in.

Everything looked fine, turned it off, back on, seemed to run fine. Back down the street and the same thing happens when I tried to get into boost. Turned it off and the water pump was still running off and on.

Cleared codes, unhooked battery for 30 minutes, flashed to map 0. Started and ran fine again until attempts at boost.

I'll try to post a pic of the codes, but they seem a little unrelated to each other.
- Misfires on 2 and 5
- 3792 coolant pump speed outside tolerance
- 3446, BSD message, oil condition sensor missing
- 378F, BSD message, electric coolant pump missing
- 38A4, BSD message, intelligent battery sensor missing
- 3847, Generator, Kommunikation: Bus-Fehler
- Shadow code 2EF7 Verbrennungsaussetzer: Einspritzabschaltung

Maybe pointing in the direction of the water pump or coolant temp sensor? I was monitoring coolant temp during the last limp mode and it said 210-220 like normal. I'm at a loss. What have I done?
Attached Images

06-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

I figure your misfires are related to plug or coil.
You have several BSD errors, implying that something on the Bit Serial Data bus is defective. The BSD generally links the alternator, DME, water pump, oil level sensor, and IBS sensor together. Diagnosing the BSD bus generally involves unplugging connected BSD devices and clearing codes until communication is restored on the other modules. An ocsilloscope is generally helpful. A single defective module on the BSD takes down the entire data bus.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
DriveBikeRun
Private
Rep

Thanks, I wasn't having much success with searching. I hate electrical problems, so this will probably be a job for my indy.

I retraced all my steps from the spark plug regap job, and it doesn't look like I bumped any wires loose, so maybe just a coincidence. The misfires are confusing, though. These plugs/coils are only 3 weeks old. Can limp mode cause misfires if the limp mode is triggered by something else?
      07-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
DriveBikeRun
Private
Rep

UPDATE - pulled plugs 2 and 5 out yesterday for further inspection. I could see that plug 2 had a very slightly bent electrode, however plug 5 looked fine to the naked eye. Had to wait until today to pick up two new plugs, and sure enough, that was the problem. Runs super smooth and pulls hard again on map 0 and stage 2+. Shew, glad that's all it was. Careful when you gap your plugs!

Side note, on the first shutdown after the successful run, the water pump kept running again, but on subsequent shutdowns it did not. It may still be on its way out, but no new codes yet. Not running hot, but will keep a close eye...
      07-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Glad you found a cheap fix! Those codes sounded a bit intimidating
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
DriveBikeRun
Private
Rep

Thanks! Yeah, I was a bit spooked by them. The misfires must have caused a weird electrical surge or something that triggered the other codes. I'll chalk it up to bimmer life and enjoy the drive until the next round
      07-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
DriveBikeRun
Private
Rep

UPDATE #2 - misfire codes have not returned, but the BSD errors have multiple times, causing the water pump to run post shutdown. Otherwise, runs beautifully. Took it to well-respected German indy today and they say that the battery isn't registered and is causing voltage surges. I know that I registered my new BMW battery via Carly when I replaced it back in December. The problems started shortly after adding MHD flash a few weeks ago. Could MHD have caused the battery registration to be wiped?
      08-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
DriveBikeRun
Private
Rep

Still unresolved, but finally making progress. First indy thought that battery just needed to be reregistered, but they tried that and the codes came right back the same day, and it kicked the registration again. Then they pretty much threw their hands in the air and said they couldn't help until the problem worsened. They were not mod friendly and wanted to blame everything on the flash tune. I'm not ruling that out, but they were acting more out of fear without any real logic to back it up.

Phone interviewed a couple other indy shops and found one who is performance oriented (has a dyno) and was really willing to engage in the diagnosis process. Met him today and witnessed part of the process. He wanted to monitor voltage while I went WOT (talk about trusting a stranger!). On the first pull, it didn't go into limp mode, but voltage immediately dropped from above 14V to about 12V and did not recover after the pull. Also, most of the same codes related to BSD messages and over voltage came back in pending status. So that is leading him toward either the alternator or IBS sensor as prime suspects. Appreciate his methodical approach to find the root cause without jumping to conclusions. He is doing some more testing in that direction and I should get an update in the morning.