E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Afe installed with Dinan stage 2.5..

08-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
funkdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red

Afe installed with Dinan stage 2.5..

I received my oiled version from Joe at trinityautosport.com today-great vendor and installed it in about an 1 hr on my lunch break in the 90 degree heat. It was rather funny because right in front of the parking complex were two boys in blue sorting out a traffic accident on the main street. I just ignored the po-po and continued doing my thing like the bathroom scene from Reservoir Dogs. Anyways, the hardest part of the install was getting the rear intake clamp on and off. Stupid me, I lost a t20 screw while fiddling with the air scoop after I had already put it on. I made sure the clamps were tight, started the car and found no leaks. I waited half an hour for one of the piggies who happened to park next to me writing up the accident report to leave so I could take it for a spin. HIlarious...

Now I have a Dinan stage 2 with Dinan intercooler and catback exhaust and it's very responsive and powerful as is. After letting the car adapt a little to the less restriction and more volume of air, I realized that this was a great purchase. The power and torque really hit hard in the mid-range and up top. Freeway pull with the afe and swoop scoops was effortless in the high heat. Wait til it gets cooler. The sound is very subtle. You can hear the turbos but it isn't annoying like a k&n typhoon which sounds like a train with wooshing at the slightest of throttle inputs. Put the car in manual mode and 2nd gear romp at 3k produces wheel spin with dsc/dtc off. Woah..mucho torque. It's hard to say if there is huge loss at very low rpms, but I can tell that the stock box with bmc had a more immediate response, almost bucking at low rpms versus the afe which needs throttle input to build up but it throws you back harder when the midrange kicks. At speed, the throttle response is great.

All in all, Im happy to pay 319 for this intake which really works in the heat which was my main concern about dual cones in the first place. I cant speak for other intakes, but this one gets two snaps up yo. After, I popped the hood, I touched the cones and they were hot as hell. Just an observation.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Congrats funkdoc! Thanks for the review.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
funkdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Space Gray/Coral Red

I guess I don't need my bmc filter anymore. Any takers?
Appreciate 0