E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ****possible Ecu Upgrade. Xede Issues****.

08-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
YARDMAN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

****possible Ecu Upgrade. Xede Issues****.

So i took my car in for my first annual service. I'm not sure if they did anything with my ECU but I don't feel the same power coming from the car as before. I am runnig AA Xede with the AFE dual cone intake. Before the car went in I truned off the Xede with the valet switch. When I got back in after the oil change I turned back on the Xede. Now I'm not sure if it's all in my mind but the car does not feel the same. Is there anyway to tell if the dealer did something to limit the power of my tune? I read somewhere that sometimes they do ECU upgrades that limit the tuning of piggybacks. Can anyone chime in on what I can do to check. I know i can dyno but I am hoping that there is another way or simplier way to check. The service order says oil change and wiper blades changed. Would it say ECU upgrade? If anyone from Active is on board please chime in as well.......
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Go to the drag strip or dyno.

Most likely they didn't change your software or anything else performance related and it's all in your head though.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

well after you put it in valet once you turned it back on your edu has to relearn and adapt. It will slowly come back
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Mid_West
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Word of warning especially if you are tuning...ALWAYS tell your SA to inform you BEFORE they upgrade your ECU! If they ask why, tell them the truth! You dont want the dreaded turbo lag with 29.2+. Also, if you have AA Xede you will need to install it differently by leaving off (if i remember correctly) 1 of the intercepted wires. Go to their website and download the .pdf and look on page 13 (or maybe page 16...my memory is going bad due to the high speeds I now drive).

Also, if I were you, I wouldnt just 'turn off our tune' with the valet switch. The minute they open your hood (even for an oil change) and see the black ground wire coming from your ECU you can pretty much assume that your car will be flagged for a voided warranty. Better be safe than sorry and take the 20 mins to remove it from your ECU!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Mid_West
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Side note: It sure would have been nice if AA sold a wire harness with their products since if youre like me you hate dealing with the pinout crap. I dont like dealing with it so much that Ive now hooked my Xede up to my laptop so it will go faster and will not be putting it back in my car. I figure I use my laptop WAY more than my car so it should run faster...plus I dont care about that warranty anyway
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
Dont you guys get copies of the repair order's when you pick up your car? How about taking a few mins to read through it and you will find out exactly what they did and if the car was programmed or not..
      08-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
YARDMAN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clean335i View Post
Dont you guys get copies of the repair order's when you pick up your car? How about taking a few mins to read through it and you will find out exactly what they did and if the car was programmed or not..
Thanks for the input. Like I said in the original post the work order did not say ECU programming. But do we really know if they would indicate such service on the work order since it's not a customer requested work order issue. It may be standard proceedure and they may not have to indicate that on the work order. I could be wrong. but what if I'm not.....
Appreciate 0