E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Buy/lease dilema!

04-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
vinithing
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Buy/lease dilema!

Here is my dilemma- I currently own a 2005 STi which Kelly Blue Book says the trade in value is $14,000 and private sale is 16,000. I did some calculating and figured it's about $100/month difference between me leasing the car putting nothing down and financing the car putting $13,000 for my trade in. Would it make more sense paying the extra money each month leasing the car and pocketing the $ for my car or trading it in and having a lower monthly payment? Either way I could swing it but not sure what would be better in the long run. If anyone else was in this same situation and had some advice that would be great! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
yogi4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I was in the same dilemma before. In the last 4 years I've changed 3 cars (1 got totaled) . All those were purchased . The current car I have, was bought in 2009 , back then after going through the same dilemma I decided to buy it. My decision back then was based on multiple reasons. I thought I was going to mod the car, put many miles on it and have it for at least 6 years. But none of this happend. After 2 years of owning current car , I got bored with it and I ordered a new one recently( couple of weeks ago) And I decided to lease it , coz I'm sure I would want to change car after 2 years. Had I leased my current car, I would have saved some $$$$ .

In summary ask itself these questions,

Are u going to be driving a lot more than 15k a year?
Are you going to mod your car ( it's fun modding these cars) ?
Would u stick to ur car for at least 4 years?

If the answers to these questions are yes, then I would recommend buying it. If not lease is a way to go.

P.S : there are some members on this forum who have leased the car and performed mods on it. But remember you have to revert them before returning ur car after lease end.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
vinithing
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I don't think the milage would be that much of an issue, I keep telling myself I am not going to mod the car but I am pretty sure I won't be able to help myself, I can drive it for more than 4 years but I'd rather not due to warranty etc. I guess leasing is the way to go, there just seems to be more hassle figuring out a deal. I am doing my homework, advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Appreciate 0