E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > DCT Diaries::_ink's build_::

01-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #67
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

The exhaust looks fantastic. It looks really well put together. I think the tips are great too as they are different from anything I've seen on a BMW.
I was still getting over how great that DCT alloy sump is. Now you show this!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #68
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Great job mate. Looks dope. Can't wait to hear it in person at the Sydney meet
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #69
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

That is some detailed work on the exhaust - looks fantastic! The idea of the tips will certainly set it apart and will look the goods if it fills up the openings. They do remind me of the Hartge oval tips - just do a search for images to see what I mean. I suspect the shape is what you may have had in mind(?).
      01-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #70
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenazz View Post
Upload a video. Lets hear this thing!
I do need one! We've got a sydney meetup in a couple of weeks that Socket is hosting and making a guest appearance, i think he's volunteered to get some footage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Damn dude looks like an expensive exercise seeking the perfect exhaust!

Interesting exhaust tips, and props for trying something unique and different

I dont mind those tips TBH, certainly dont hate them would be interesting to see if you could find something a tad larger.

I hated my car with straight pipes.. It sounded fkn tough on idle and great on WOT (I had cats though!) but droned like a mofo....
On idle, it's actually really quiet mate.. might be to do with all the extra flow on the 3.5" system.

If i can find exactly what i'm looking for, i'll definitely change them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
Ian your car is amazing. So many things you do make me want the same, at the risk of sounding like acopya copycat! Big inspiration! I got the same PI manifold, I wanted the same rims, got the 1M bar together with you. Ok sounds stalkerish now lol

So on a similar subject, I want GPS tracking alarm on my car. I remember you reviewed one ages ago. Link of review/product? How much did it cost and hiw much was installation? Any other alternatives worth considering? I'm looking the Viper SmartStart system
haha, all good Kent! Nothing i have done is truly unique, it's all been done before in the U.S. so i'm definitely not a pioneer in any way. Feel free to go for it, i can even put you in touch with the guys that did my work.

The system i have is actually a remote start option which has GPS, this allows you to keep your factory FOB <-- this was important as i didn't want to carry 2 fob's around. I have the viper system in my previous ride (350z) and it was awesome.

The system is from Compustar (remote start), and has the Drone Mobile 3 addon attached to it. The Drone mobile gives you access to a mobile app to lock,unlock, start, gps locate, etc.. It's already come in super handy when i dropped my car off @ Advan, and took my keys with me! lol.. This amazed the boys there! (so you can use your FOB and/or app to start the car)

Here's the video that Daniel @ Carbon Car Systems put together:

(If you are going to do this, highly recommend that you get it done by him as he is the main Australian Distributor and knows his shit.. Top bloke and our age also).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
The exhaust looks fantastic. It looks really well put together. I think the tips are great too as they are different from anything I've seen on a BMW.
I was still getting over how great that DCT alloy sump is. Now you show this!
Thanks John. The fab work and welding is bloody top notch! I just wish i could see under the car more.. The tips i think will still work, just need to find the right ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Great job mate. Looks dope. Can't wait to hear it in person at the Sydney meet
I hear you'll be doing a vid? (idle revving and fly by)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH_335 View Post
That is some detailed work on the exhaust - looks fantastic! The idea of the tips will certainly set it apart and will look the goods if it fills up the openings. They do remind me of the Hartge oval tips - just do a search for images to see what I mean. I suspect the shape is what you may have had in mind(?).
The Hartage ones are close to what i was looking for in design, however its about the same size as the ones i got, and single walled. But you're right about the shape.

Something like this, just with a more angled wall (like the attached cyba tips) and larger in all dimensions..

The type of inner wall:

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #71
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
How have I missed all of this!

Nice exhaust! You def need a video and can't wait to hear it at the meet.

I've been following Carbon Car Systems for a while of FB, I think I'll pull the trigger this year on the remote start, remote monitoring alarm, they look really good.

What did it cost you for the install?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #72
EB89
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i e92 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashedUpBogan View Post
Lol Shane, you'veprobably seen her more times than I have

EB89: Plates are 335IVE, 1M front bar. It's probably in the basement. You from the Gong? I just moved to Nowra for a short term. Not much to do around this area. When I get my car back in Feb, I'll cruise by
You coming up for the meet?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #73
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB89 View Post
How have I missed all of this!

Nice exhaust! You def need a video and can't wait to hear it at the meet.

I've been following Carbon Car Systems for a while of FB, I think I'll pull the trigger this year on the remote start, remote monitoring alarm, they look really good.

What did it cost you for the install?
Thanks mate, and i'm all for the video!

Carbon Car Systems are awesome, i've been a customer on theirs since they were working in a tiny shared garage/workshop to where they are now in their own premise! Their success is certainly due to their workmanship, customer service and pioneering of new technology in their industry.

Installed and fitted is $1599, speak to Daniel - he's the owner and guy in the vid.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:18 AM   #74
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
some under under the hood comestics... more to come..

Last edited by _ink; 03-08-2016 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:30 AM   #75
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Looks awesome bro

Is that a high temp vinyl?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 04:48 AM   #76
Fuji
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i

Looks amazing
      03-08-2016, 05:01 AM   #77
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfeeqh View Post
Looks awesome bro

Is that a high temp vinyl?
It's just normal vinyl actually, seems to be holding well - early days tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuji View Post
Looks amazing
mate!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:08 AM   #78
Flex68
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Your engine bay mate ..... Lost for words .... Has to be prob the nicest I have seen
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2016, 05:29 AM   #79
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Sexy manifold mate
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #80
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex68 View Post
Your engine bay mate ..... Lost for words .... Has to be prob the nicest I have seen
more to come on that project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Sexy manifold mate
cheers bruh!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #81
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

What's the lowdown on your exhaust tips Mr Ink?

Did you get them sorted, or just stick with what you had?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #82
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
What's the lowdown on your exhaust tips Mr Ink?

Did you get them sorted, or just stick with what you had?
I added a resonator into the system Doc, and that improved the drone and rasp. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=63

I toyed with the idea of cutting out the cat, and making a straight pipe with V-bands on the cat and straight pipe so i can switch between them, as i'm super curious with how it would sound without the cat, and just the resonator.

But i have run without cats, and it stinks, smokes slightly, and sounds differents (good and bad)... so decided to just leave things be... for now. But i know curiosity will kill the cat, once again!

Question for you drjekl, now that you are using E85 and your car sits in the garage for a fair bit of time.. Are you using any injector cleaning products for general maintenance? What are the recommendations for e85 usage?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 05:35 AM   #83
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
I added a resonator into the system Doc, and that improved the drone and rasp. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=63

I toyed with the idea of cutting out the cat, and making a straight pipe with V-bands on the cat and straight pipe so i can switch between them, as i'm super curious with how it would sound without the cat, and just the resonator.

But i have run without cats, and it stinks, smokes slightly, and sounds differents (good and bad)... so decided to just leave things be... for now. But i know curiosity will kill the cat, once again!

Question for you drjekl, now that you are using E85 and your car sits in the garage for a fair bit of time.. Are you using any injector cleaning products for general maintenance? What are the recommendations for e85 usage?
Yup read your post before and I liked the oval tips you had, was curious to see if you found and fitted anything that you had in your mind's eye?

I've had my stage 2 fuelit since nov 2014 but TBH the car has only done approx 2000-3000k kays since then on E30-E50

I've just put some nulon in this week (refer to the black bottle in the link)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=11

FWIW I've had no issues with the fuel going off when the car sits for months and running rough etc (well not that ive inspected the fuel system so to speak to know there has been no gumming etc)

In future I plan to use the nulon e85 additive in the white bottle on occasions for a peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #84
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup read your post before and I liked the oval tips you had, was curious to see if you found and fitted anything that you had in your mind's eye?

I've had my stage 2 fuelit since nov 2014 but TBH the car has only done approx 2000-3000k kays since then on E30-E50

I've just put some nulon in this week (refer to the black bottle in the link)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=11

FWIW I've had no issues with the fuel going off when the car sits for months and running rough etc (well not that ive inspected the fuel system so to speak to know there has been no gumming etc)

In future I plan to use the nulon e85 additive in the white bottle on occasions for a peace of mind.
Ahhh.. Yes, i've just gone with quad tips mate - can't go wrong with them.

Thanks for pointing that out, i will give it a try before an oil change. It's the nature of e85 breaking down into a gunky sugar that i'm concerned about, but this is only really relevant for 100% e85 blends sitting for extended periods of time - but still want to be on the front foot.

I've also recently decided to switch to Penrite Racing 10 tenths oil due to the zddp content it contains (and e85 compatible), which helps with the journal bearings on the upgraded turbos.. Apparently based on the manufactures that have suggested high content zddp, and the research and testing that has been carried out, it can't hurt as a bit of preventative maintenance. Unfortunately Penrite don't have an e85 injector cleaner additive yet, but i've emailed them asking.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #85
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for pointing that out, i will give it a try before an oil change. It's the nature of e85 breaking down into a gunky sugar that i'm concerned about, but this is only really relevant for 100% e85 blends sitting for extended periods of time - but still want to be on the front foot.

I've also recently decided to switch to Penrite Racing 10 tenths oil due to the zddp content it contains (and e85 compatible), which helps with the journal bearings on the upgraded turbos.. Apparently based on the manufactures that have suggested high content zddp, and the research and testing that has been carried out, it can't hurt as a bit of preventative maintenance. Unfortunately Penrite don't have an e85 injector cleaner additive yet, but i've emailed them asking.
Zinc is toxic hence why most of the big oil suppliers such as liqui moly have minimal zinc if any in their synthetic oils today (AFAIK all thr big oil co's no longer add ZDDP to their synthetic oils) It was used to lubricate rings and valvetrains, RB spruiking about ZDDP for journal bearings is horsesh!t imo. I liken this to someone stating you need leaded fuel to reduce knock (there are much cleaner more effective methods these days then adding lead to fuel to raise the octane)

I'm sure any modern turbo engine from any manufacturer offering high HP performance vehicles (ferrari, AMG, BMW, Porsche) wont be using or recommending an oil with ZDDP...

Having said that there have been plenty of guys stating the penrite is a top quality fluid, so it definately wont hurt to try their product but I'm not convinced it will save those fragile RB turbos...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #86
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL
Quote:

Zinc is toxic hence why most of the big oil suppliers such as liqui moly have minimal zinc if any in their synthetic oils today (AFAIK all thr big oil co's no longer add ZDDP to their synthetic oils) It was used to lubricate rings and valvetrains, RB spruiking about ZDDP for journal bearings is horsesh!t imo. I liken this to someone stating you need leaded fuel to reduce knock (there are much cleaner more effective methods these days then adding lead to fuel to raise the octane)

I'm sure any modern turbo engine from any manufacturer offering high HP performance vehicles (ferrari, AMG, BMW, Porsche) wont be using or recommending an oil with ZDDP...

Having said that there have been plenty of guys stating the penrite is a top quality fluid, so it definately wont hurt to try their product but I'm not convinced it will save those fragile RB turbos...
That's the thing, I didn't give it any notice whatsoever when RB came out with the statement. A few months later (even after heckling RB) VTT came out with the same statement, backed with tests that he had performed with his own turbos.

On top of what these 2 people are saying, there have also been other real world test (not conducted by biased oil producers) with the same results on bearing and metal wear, with and without zddp contents.

Whilst the OEM recommended oils are fine for stock operating conditions and elements, a lot of our cars are decently modified, and producing up to double the power levels from factory.

I've never been a believer of 'just because the OEM or other large companies' are doing certain things, that it's necessarily the best thing for longevity. They have to factor in soo many other things like cost, profits, environment, laws, etc.. Balancing these things leads to an outcome that isn't necessarily the best for the consumers or the longevity of our engine/components, rather, just enough to get it past the warranty period and satisfy environmental standards, and global laws, with a lot left on the table.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #87
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
That's the thing, I didn't give it any notice whatsoever when RB came out with the statement. A few months later (even after heckling RB) VTT came out with the same statement, backed with tests that he had performed with his own turbos.
This was posted to me re RBs

It has came to our attention that choice of engine oil could be of problem to some customers running the thrust upgrade due to the steel on steel design of the components.

For these reasons we recommend you using oil that contains a high zinc content. Please reference this document for an oil choice, but Amsoil AMO 10W-40 (with High Zinc) is our overall recommendation:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...about-oil.html
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #88
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket
Quote:
This was posted to me re RBs

It has came to our attention that choice of engine oil could be of problem to some customers running the thrust upgrade due to the steel on steel design of the components.

For these reasons we recommend you using oil that contains a high zinc content. Please reference this document for an oil choice, but Amsoil AMO 10W-40 (with High Zinc) is our overall recommendation:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo...about-oil.html
Thanks Socks, that's the one RB posted. This one is a mega read with lots of interesting info:

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/
Appreciate 0