E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Angel eye brightness coding - verified values for each FRM

05-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Angel eye brightness coding - verified values for each FRM

I've noticed there's a lot of misinformation and confusion regarding coding angel eye brightness. All sorts of conflicting sources and not a lot of rock solid information. Let's work to change that. Below I've listed each FRM type and what I've heard are the values corresponding to angel eye voltages. While it should be simple, it seems that the function names in code are not always reliable and don't correspond to what they claim to.

The goal would be that people with each FRM version can test and report back and let us know if it worked.

If you have a multimeter, please test the stock voltages in each mode (headlights on, DRL, auto, etc.) and report back as well.

FRMFA/FRM1 for E92 (pre-03/2007 build)
  • PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_RL_BL_1
    • Translation: Pulse width modulation control, taillight 1
    • Controls: Despite the function name indicating that this controls the taillights (RL_BL = rücklicht = back light), it has been reported that this controls the PWM-regulated voltage of angel eyes when low beams are on.
FRM2/NFRM (03/2007 build through ???)
  • PWM_SL_V
    • Translation: Pulse width modulation, standing lights (DRL), front
    • Controls: PWM-regulated voltage of angel eyes in DRL/auto mode
  • PWM_SL_V_BEI_AKTIVEN_AL
    • Translation: Pulse width modulation, standing lights (DRL), front, when low beams are active
    • Controls: PWM-regulated voltage of angel eyes when low beams are on
  • PWM_SL_V_BEI_AKTIVEN_FL
    • Translation: Pulse width modulation, standing lights (DRL), front, when high beams are active
    • Controls: PWM-regulated voltage of angel eyes when high beams are on
FRM3/NFRM2 (??? through end of production)
  • PWM_SL_1_FKT_BL_TFL
    • Translation: Pulse width modulation, standing lights (DRL) 1, function brake lights daytime running lights
    • Controls: PWM-regulated voltage of angel eyes when ???
  • PWM_SL_1_FKT_SL_TFL
    • Translation: Pulse width modulation, standing lights (DRL) 1, function standing lights daytime running lights
    • Controls: PWM-regulated voltage of angel eyes when ???

Please contribute by testing various values and reporting back the changes, preferably with a voltage reading. Include your FRM version and its firmware version. Let's get some definitive, tested, and verified info out there.
      05-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
Sherj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe

Lol where was this when I needed it a few days ago, thanks for posting it.

I used this guide and was successful in programming the angel eyes voltage to 13.7 (0C,2C), I had the FRMFA/FRM1 module for E92 (11/06)

After pulling a few post together I have managed to change the voltage on my Angel Eyes so that with daytime running, sidelights, dipped or main beam they are constantly bright. The only exception are the parking lights which still operate at the factory preset voltage.

Firstly thanks to the original posters who pointed me in the right direction - Revtor & dadeppa

For the guide below I have assumed NCSExpert etc is working, you will however also need a copy of NCSDummy.

1. Start NCSExpert & Load FSW PSW MAN profile.
2. Press F1 then F3 and select E89 then select CAS
3. Press F6 then F4. From the modules listed select NFRM
4. Under the word 'JOBNAME' on NCSExpert you will now have something which starts FRM..................................... Note all this down as you will need it later. (Mine was FRMFA.C09,A_PL2FRX.IPO,FRM_87.PRG)
5. Press F4 (read ECU). A box title NETTODAT.TRC will now open - you can close this.
6. You can now close NCSExpert
7. The above should have saved you a NETTODAT.TRC file in your NCSExpert Work folder. You are now going to change this file using NCSDummy.
8. Open NCSDummy - if it is the first time you have used it specify the path to your NCSExpert DATEN folder (I was using DATEN 45 for this)
9. In NCS Dummy select the following: Chassis - E89. Module - FRMFA.C09 FSW/PSW or Nettodata trace - the NETTODAT.TRC file you created above.
10. If you have done this correctly a new Tab appears labelled Trace Editor. Select this.
11. You now need to amend ONE entry: PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_RL_BL_1
12. Mine had options wert 1 to 6 available, wert 6 was selected. If you click on any of the selected ones the part you are interested in is listed as Data in the details section (this is what sepcifies the voltage)
13. On mine the BL showed Data of 00,10.
14. To override these if you right click on one of the selected entries you are given the option to add new custom parameters. The new custom parameter will be given the name <benutzerdefinierte> - <custom>.
15. Once added, click the box to the left to select it and this should deselect the previous 'factory' selected options
16. The Data option in details below should show as 00,00 and you can change this to any allowable entry. If you use 0C,2C you are specifying 13.7 volts. I used 38,0E (16 volts)
17. Once completed click Editor Functions and Export Nettodata Trace File. You should now be able to save a NETTODAT.MAN file.
18. You can now close NCSDummy as we have just created a new MAN file which we are going to use to code the NRFM module.
19. Start NCSExpert & Load Revtor's NCE Expert Profile
20. Press F1 then F3 and select E89 the select CAS
21. Press F6 then F4. From the modules listed select NFRM
22. A popup window will now open and check the details to those listed in point 4. DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER IF THEY DO NOT MATCH AS YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG.
23. Assuming above is OK click OK and press F5 (basic functions). In the popup window select coapiCodeSgByNettoData.
24. For the CBD name make sure the correct module is already set & for Nettodatenliste enter NETTODAT.MAN (the file you created above)
25. Click OK to start the coding job.
      05-04-2014, 04:14 AM   #3
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherj View Post
Lol where was this when I needed it a few days ago, thanks for posting it.

I used this guide and was successful in programming the angel eyes voltage to 13.7 (0C,2C), I had the FRMFA/FRM1 module for E92 (11/06)

After pulling a few post together I have managed to change the voltage on my Angel Eyes so that with daytime running, sidelights, dipped or main beam they are constantly bright. The only exception are the parking lights which still operate at the factory preset voltage.

Firstly thanks to the original posters who pointed me in the right direction - Revtor & dadeppa

For the guide below I have assumed NCSExpert etc is working, you will however also need a copy of NCSDummy.

1. Start NCSExpert & Load FSW PSW MAN profile.
2. Press F1 then F3 and select E89 then select CAS
3. Press F6 then F4. From the modules listed select NFRM
4. Under the word 'JOBNAME' on NCSExpert you will now have something which starts FRM..................................... Note all this down as you will need it later. (Mine was FRMFA.C09,A_PL2FRX.IPO,FRM_87.PRG)
5. Press F4 (read ECU). A box title NETTODAT.TRC will now open - you can close this.
6. You can now close NCSExpert
7. The above should have saved you a NETTODAT.TRC file in your NCSExpert Work folder. You are now going to change this file using NCSDummy.
8. Open NCSDummy - if it is the first time you have used it specify the path to your NCSExpert DATEN folder (I was using DATEN 45 for this)
9. In NCS Dummy select the following: Chassis - E89. Module - FRMFA.C09 FSW/PSW or Nettodata trace - the NETTODAT.TRC file you created above.
10. If you have done this correctly a new Tab appears labelled Trace Editor. Select this.
11. You now need to amend ONE entry: PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_RL_BL_1
12. Mine had options wert 1 to 6 available, wert 6 was selected. If you click on any of the selected ones the part you are interested in is listed as Data in the details section (this is what sepcifies the voltage)
13. On mine the BL showed Data of 00,10.
14. To override these if you right click on one of the selected entries you are given the option to add new custom parameters. The new custom parameter will be given the name <benutzerdefinierte> - <custom>.
15. Once added, click the box to the left to select it and this should deselect the previous 'factory' selected options
16. The Data option in details below should show as 00,00 and you can change this to any allowable entry. If you use 0C,2C you are specifying 13.7 volts. I used 38,0E (16 volts)
17. Once completed click Editor Functions and Export Nettodata Trace File. You should now be able to save a NETTODAT.MAN file.
18. You can now close NCSDummy as we have just created a new MAN file which we are going to use to code the NRFM module.
19. Start NCSExpert & Load Revtor's NCE Expert Profile
20. Press F1 then F3 and select E89 the select CAS
21. Press F6 then F4. From the modules listed select NFRM
22. A popup window will now open and check the details to those listed in point 4. DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER IF THEY DO NOT MATCH AS YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG.
23. Assuming above is OK click OK and press F5 (basic functions). In the popup window select coapiCodeSgByNettoData.
24. For the CBD name make sure the correct module is already set & for Nettodatenliste enter NETTODAT.MAN (the file you created above)
25. Click OK to start the coding job.
I used this to code my 2009 E90 LCI. NCS lists it as an FRM2.C08 yet NCSDummy lists it as an FRM3.C31.

This works a treat.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
Sherj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
I used this to code my 2009 E90 LCI. NCS lists it as an FRM2.C08 yet NCSDummy lists it as an FRM3.C31.

This works a treat.
It is funny you mentioned that because NCS listed it as FRMFA.C09, but NCS Dummy said it matched 100% to FRMFA.C20. While it turned out okay volt-wise. but the other setting I had in the FRM module like folding mirrors and sidemarker defaulted to original settings. I just ended up redoing those and upping the voltage to 16.
      05-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Sherj
Private First Class
Rep

Took some images of the final product @ 13.7v, sorry for the messy back ground .
Attached Images

05-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just a heads-up: all this did was change the voltage when the headlights are turned on. It did not change the voltage for when in parking lights or DRL mode.
      05-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Sherj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Just a heads-up: all this did was change the voltage when the headlights are turned on. It did not change the voltage for when in parking lights or DRL mode.
Hm so is there any way to edit the nettodata so we can get higher voltage with parking lights on? Or is that the only line we can amend is the PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_RL_BL_1?
      05-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hm so is there any way to edit the nettodata so we can get higher voltage with parking lights on? Or is that the only line we can amend is the PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_RL_BL_1?
I'm sure it's possible, but I don't know the function name that controls DRL mode and parking light mode. Not sure if anyone else has found it for FRMFA, either. It would be a lot easier if the functions were properly named, but alas, that's not the case. Even knowing a bit of German and knowing the abbreviations, they still don't make sense (other than FRM3 which appears to use proper naming).
      05-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Sherj
Private First Class
Rep

Hm

What do you think about these values

PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_AL (PWM) Control of low beam it has a setting of wert 01 FF,1F and Wert 2 8D,0B (Mines is set at wert 01)

PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_SL_V (PWM) Control of Front Standing Light it has a setting of Wert 01 8D,0B, Wert 02 38,0E, and Wert 03 00,10 (Mines is set at Wert 2 which seems to be running at the value 38,OE which is 16 volt)

I also noticed PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_RL_BL_2 (PWM) Control of inner taillight light is set at wert 04 with the value of 38,0E (16 volt)
      05-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Sherj
Private First Class
Rep

Okay so we might be able to change the value for PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_AL (PWM) Control of low beam since wert 2 is 8D,0B (13,0V). I have it set to wert 01 and will switch to wert 2 to see any notable difference.

Last edited by Sherj; 05-06-2014 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hm

What do you think about these values

PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_AL (PWM) Control of low beam it has a setting of wert 01 FF,1F and Wert 2 8D,0B (Mines is set at wert 01)

PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_SL_V (PWM) Control of Front Standing Light it has a setting of Wert 01 8D,0B, Wert 02 38,0E, and Wert 03 00,10 (Mines is set at Wert 2 which seems to be running at the value 38,OE which is 16 volt)

I also noticed PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_RL_BL_2 (PWM) Control of inner taillight light is set at wert 04 with the value of 38,0E (16 volt)
SL_V *should* control the angel eyes, but it might actually control the amber corner LEDs on the FRMFA models.

AL will likely be the xenon low beam D1S bulb itself's power.

RL_BL_2 might actually be the LED taillight bars like the name would imply, but it could also be the angel eyes since RL_BL_1 actually controls the angels. You'll have to play with it to find out.
      05-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
blbrchnk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335xi

What is the longterm harm to the LED's when you up the voltage like this?
      05-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blbrchnk View Post
Depends greatly on what the LEDs are, where they are, type of driver used if any, etc.

Take a simple example - say you've got a bulb that has three 3.7v LEDs in series connected to a 12v source and doesn't have a driver. The result is about 4v across each LED, meaning they're overdriven and will be okay but at the cost of their lifespan somewhat. If you were to code the voltage for that bulb up to say 18v, you're now talking 6v across LED. If it didn't kill them instantly, they'd be dead in hours at most.

But, say you've got an LED bulb that has a handful of LEDs but uses a constant current driver with a reasonable range of input voltages. No matter what you up the voltage to in coding, the driver is going to just adapt and send the LEDs the voltage it's set to - they won't get any brighter and they won't get hurt. What will happen is the driver will be generating more heat from the upped voltage.

The takeaway from this is don't mess with the voltage of any LEDs unless you know what the LEDs are rated for, how they're cooled, and how they're being driven.
      05-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
blbrchnk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Quote:
Depends greatly on what the LEDs are, where they are, type of driver used if any, etc.

Take a simple example - say you've got a bulb that has three 3.7v LEDs in series connected to a 12v source and doesn't have a driver. The result is about 4v across each LED, meaning they're overdriven and will be okay but at the cost of their lifespan somewhat. If you were to code the voltage for that bulb up to say 18v, you're now talking 6v across LED. If it didn't kill them instantly, they'd be dead in hours at most.

But, say you've got an LED bulb that has a handful of LEDs but uses a constant current driver with a reasonable range of input voltages. No matter what you up the voltage to in coding, the driver is going to just adapt and send the LEDs the voltage it's set to - they won't get any brighter and they won't get hurt. What will happen is the driver will be generating more heat from the upped voltage.

The takeaway from this is don't mess with the voltage of any LEDs unless you know what the LEDs are rated for, how they're cooled, and how they're being driven.
I have the 40 watt Cree bulbs from topgearsolutions. I really am not sure about much with the bulbs/ballasts other than that. Being that they are LED bulbs, they should last a long time so reducing their lifespan is still probably longer than I will own the car. So I guess the question is what type of driver do these use?

These are the ones here: http://www.topgearsolutions.com/2005...ngel-eyes.html
      05-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
Sherj
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
SL_V *should* control the angel eyes, but it might actually control the amber corner LEDs on the FRMFA models.

AL will likely be the xenon low beam D1S bulb itself's power.

RL_BL_2 might actually be the LED taillight bars like the name would imply, but it could also be the angel eyes since RL_BL_1 actually controls the angels. You'll have to play with it to find out.
Yeah I been just messing around with the values and see if anything happens, I did switch PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_AL from wert 2 to wert 1 and interestingly I ended up getting a fault for my rear blinkers. I then checked the rear blinkers to seem them still functioning and even swapped in another bulb I had, but the fault did not go away until I recorded PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_AL back to wert 2. I also changed PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_RL_BL_1 to from 38,0E to FF,1F and noticed a bigger difference with the output then with 38,0E and 0C,2C which did not show any discernible difference to stock values.

Last edited by Sherj; 05-07-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #16
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the 40 watt Cree bulbs from topgearsolutions. I really am not sure about much with the bulbs/ballasts other than that. Being that they are LED bulbs, they should last a long time so reducing their lifespan is still probably longer than I will own the car. So I guess the question is what type of driver do these use?

Unfortunately there's no information there regarding the emitters are drivers. They just source them from China, so I doubt they have any info about them. Honestly, the only way to really figure it out would be to use a multimeter and take them apart.
      05-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
blbrchnk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Quote:

Unfortunately there's no information there regarding the emitters are drivers. They just source them from China, so I doubt they have any info about them. Honestly, the only way to really figure it out would be to use a multimeter and take them apart.
Wouldn't I simply be able to tell if they get brighter?
      05-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't I simply be able to tell if they get brighter?
If they get brighter then you know they're not using a constant current driver, but you don't know if voltage you're delivering either to the driver or the LEDs themselves is within spec, so you risk damaging them.
      05-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #19
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Update: As some of you are likely aware, the voltage values in the code are represented in a rather strange way which makes them unreadable. The hexadecimal values don't really appear to mean anything. I've written some formulas to handle converting the values and done my best to document the format for others to reference.

BMW PWM voltage value
Type: Unsigned short int
Size: 2 bytes
Description: Stores a value representing a voltage to be set via pulse width modulation.
Note: Values are not directly readable, see formulas for conversion.
Note 2: Low and high byte order is swapped on modules other than FRM3.

Decimal voltage (V) to hexadecimal code value (C)
C = hex(4095V / 18)
If value is for anything other than FRM3, swap the high and low bytes/octets (first two hex digits and last two hex digits).
Example of decimal voltage (V) to hexadecimal code value (C)
Determine code value of voltage 12.2 volts.
C = hex((4095 * 12.2) / 18)
C = hex(49959 / 18)
C = hex(2775)
C = AD7
C for FRM3: 0A,D7
C for non-FRM3: D7,0A (byte swapped)
Hexadecimal code value (C) to decimal voltage (V)
If value is from anything other than FRM3, swap the high and low bytes/octets (first two hex digits and last two hex digits).
V = (dec(C) * 18) / 4095
Example of hexadecimal code value (C) to decimal voltage (V)
Determine voltage of non-FRM3 code value BB,0B.
V = (dec(0BBB) * 18) / 4095 (note that BB,0B has been byte swapped)
V = (3003 * 18) / 4095
V = 54054 / 4095
V = 13.2
Hope this helps those of you who are tinkering with the values.

Last edited by dwells; 05-27-2014 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Just an FYI if you guys intend on coding our specific angel eyes we will not warranty them, they were not designed to be over-driven. Id suggest opting for our 60W option and or soon to be released 80W Version 2.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #21
just_dirty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Sport, F10 550, F450, E92

Has anyone figured out the flickering of the angel eyes when the engine is on for the FRMFA module?

Last edited by just_dirty; 12-02-2014 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #22
eurocentricllc.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: United States

Dwells I know this thread is a little old but I've got an issue. I have a 09/06 e92 335i. I have retrofitted an 8000k hid kit for angel eyes. I've done the coding and they work great IF the head lights are on. If they are off the angel eyes are only on for 30 seconds and then turn off until I re start the car. I'm assuming this is because on the frmfa pwm_ansteuerung_rl_bl_1 only changes pwm voltage with head light on. How can I change the pwm voltage with the head lights off since I do not have PWM_SL_1_FKT_BL_TFL in ncs dummy under frmfa? Or should I just buy a h8 relay harness kit off ebay? I would rather do it by coding if at all possible.

Thanks

Thanks
Appreciate 0