E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New stock turbo Dyno Records

05-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #111
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
it increases the octane rating, cools, is cheaper, and lasts longer. The benefits far outweigh whatever negatives you can think of
+1, +2, +3 on benefits.

But meth detractions are requiring a custom tune, nozzle placement requiring modifying oem parts, securing the custom reservoir tank, safety mechanisms for catastrophic failure of delivery system - I don't think all those qualify Meth as a traditional 'bolt-on' modification but one for hi-level enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #112
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

yeah i wouldn't call it an easy bolt-on, but it's totally worth it. I can't wait for shiv's kit to come out
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #113
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I think Meth also increases the octane rating......so that would negate your idea that it only cools things down enough to run on 91 octane.
Left that out. True.

I'm actually trying to get at the power potential more than the technicalities. Cooler air = more air. Meth burns = more fuel.

I guess 104 could have a timing benefit from meth too, if it was hot enough. Since it should go up ever so slightly in octane rating. Not sure if it'd be enough to matter though. Or if there is even any more advance to be had at this point.

+Octane, in the end, all it accomplishes is that it allows you to use fuel (91) that would have otherwise detonated.
(Which is also the purpose of 104)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
it increases the octane rating, cools, is cheaper, and lasts longer. The benefits far outweigh whatever negatives you can think of
Those are all great, and I would rather have 91 + meth than run 104 all day.

But still, that leaves the 'absolute power potential' question unanswered.

Presuming you have no knock/detonation. How much do you get just from the IATs and slightly more fueling?

I'm basically looking for a dyno with meth that goes above and beyond what race gas gives you.

Maybe it's not possible... stop me if it is. No sense in talking about it.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #114
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

^ you mean Meth + 104Octane? That's some combination!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #115
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
^ you mean Meth + 104Octane? That's some combination!
Well, yah.

I want to know if this thing can do more then be economical (letting you run cheaper fuel as if it were higher octane).

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #116
beepbeep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
Left that out. True.

I'm actually trying to get at the power potential more than the technicalities. Cooler air = more air. Meth burns = more fuel.

I guess 104 could have a timing benefit from meth too, if it was hot enough. Since it should go up ever so slightly in octane rating. Not sure if it'd be enough to matter though. Or if there is even any more advance to be had at this point.

+Octane, in the end, all it accomplishes is that it allows you to use fuel (91) that would have otherwise detonated.
(Which is also the purpose of 104)

Those are all great, and I would rather have 91 + meth than run 104 all day.

But still, that leaves the 'absolute power potential' question unanswered.

Presuming you have no knock/detonation. How much do you get just from the IATs and slightly more fueling?

I'm basically looking for a dyno with meth that goes above and beyond what race gas gives you.

Maybe it's not possible... stop me if it is. No sense in talking about it.

-scheherazade
Meth is not the only thing going on here. The water by itself, without meth, increases the effective octane rating and cools the IAT and combustion temps. In fact, the whole concept was known as water injection originally, in WWII fighter planes. The alcohol just kept the mix from freezing at high altitudes. Meth is extra good in our application because it can take some of the fuel requirements off the HPFP. Water injection (with or without meth) drops combustion temperatures which race gas can't do, unless you use extra fuel for evaporation cooling. So in that sense, there are some things that water injection can do that race gas alone can't. Of course, race gas plus water/meth injection is the belt and suspenders approach.
Cheers

Should have also mentioned that water alone increases the octane rating by absorbing heat during combustion and suppressing detonation.

Last edited by beepbeep; 05-12-2009 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Left out a thought
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #117
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I'm sure you can run more timing with 104+meth than with meth alone, so that would make more power...wouldn't do it myself, but it would be interesting to see 104 dynos with and w/o meth.
Appreciate 0