E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Deer at 70 MPH

05-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #23
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacE90 View Post
That is the plan. I will pull out the radiator and turn it over. I will buy back if it moves; part ways if it does not.

Check back for the classic BMW in Tow picture.
Moving is not running. It will certainly move.

Cleaning the deer hooves our of the engine in two years when you've done the countless hours into a retrofit tho?

That sounds awful.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacE90 View Post
I am buying the motor and trans, and electrical for myself. The hood was tied down and the weather has been nice and dry with low relative humidity at night. The car will be stored inside through the summer and winter if needed.
The bolt on the OFH is sheered off.

With regards to swapping, I can do the wiring and my buddy is a fabricator. While it was my only one, I did swap a 3.5l from a late 80s E24 in to my E12. I had to make a new harness though no fabrication was needed.

I appreciate your and everyone's comments. The 'sounding board' that is this forum is priceless! Here are two more pictures of engine exposure. I put rags in the exposures and covered with plastic today. I'll make my final decision in the morning and pick it up with my trailer or go pull off my plates!

Keep the comments and opinions flowing please!!
I have to say, now after seeing these pics, I'd be hesitant on planning to use the engine. So first, it looks like the cam chain guide is cracked, which means pulling the timing chain and replacing the guide, which requires retiming the VANOS, etc. Then it looks like a lot of dirt and sand got into the cam chain case and inside the valve box. Further, I'd bet some plastic from the valve cover made its way into the cam chain drive, which means a full inspection once the chain is out. So at a minimum, you'll need to mount the engine on a stand and thoroughly clean the engine from the inside out. Just a lot more work on top of grafting it into a 35 year old BMW and something you'll need to get started on immediately.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      05-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #25
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

That sucks man, really cool to see E90Post members from Montana though! Love that state, wish I could visit again soon.