E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Almost Diginitive: Missing Oil Coolers & Pix

04-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Almost Diginitive: Missing Oil Coolers & Pix

Sorry, I meant to head this as Definitive." Anyway, here goes. After posting my compiled E90Post pdf, (link fixed)

http://64.158.167.75/misc/Oil Cooler Doc.pdf

…I printed it and took it to Shelly BMW. As I've stated, they claim to have never, ever even heard of this issue of missing oil coolers. A revelation akin to the 2nd coming of Jesus...

I got a senior mechanic from the back. He says he’s been in the business for 30 years. I pointed out the information on the print-out, making sure that he was clear that most of the print was from BMW itself. He gave it little credit. This in itself pissed me off. He kept saying the same mantra basically, “we have to call BMW.” Well this sh*t IS FROM BMW!! Can’t you read!? Mantra. Mantra.

Then I took him over and compared the photos in the print-out to my totally blank wheel well, where my cooler is NOT. "We still have to call BMW..."

Then I took him to one of their own 335i Coupe StepTronics. Behold! There is a cooler! See?

"Have to call BMW."

"So you claim you have never heard of this before and everything I've just told you and shown you, is all make believe? All invented by the oil cooler fairy?”

"I have to call BMW."

So I sprinted to the back and found three 335i sedan, steps, sports. Two had the oil coolers, one did not. I then relayed this info to him and the senior SA.

"What now beeatch?"

"We have to call BMW."

So I took photos, hope you love them. Hope some of this is of use... Now awaiting for "word" from the grand masters at corporate. Meanwhile I'm going to personally call the customer people in the E90Post.com postings and see if I can speed things up.

This is bullsh*t.

Last edited by NewhouseEnt; 01-22-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
island111
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

It's a real shame that BMW is leaving everbody with a bad taste. The ones that are happy won't be when they read the release.
Just my own thoughts
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Well done. Keep us in the loop. Wonder how long the dealership will take before they commit to your request.
      04-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update

Called customer service. "We are aware of the problem, we are taking this as a case-by-case basis."

"So what HAS the resolution been?"

"I don't know, I only escalate to upper coporate. I have to escalate this, they will call you back within 2-3 business days."

Very polite and sweet girl. No resolution yet.

Will keep you posted...

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I just talked with the gentleman I've been speaking with at BMW Canada. I mentioned the oil cooler retrofit offers and the legal disclaimer. He mentioned that he used to write those, so he has a good idea of what's involved. Typically, BMW Canada hasn't heard of this, but I am sure they will get wind of it soon.

I also checked two auto's w/sport coupes (03/07 production) on that lot at a local dealership, and both had the cooler.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I just talked with the gentleman I've been speaking with at BMW Canada. I mentioned the oil cooler retrofit offers and the legal disclaimer. He mentioned that he used to write those, so he has a good idea of what's involved. Typically, BMW Canada hasn't heard of this, but I am sure they will get wind of it soon.

I also checked two auto's w/sport coupes (03/07 production) on that lot at a local dealership, and both had the cooler.
They (Director of Marketing for Canada and the 3 Series head guy under him) are very aware of the missing cooler issue, and have stated they are working on it.. that was on April 12th. I'm happy to give them some Canadian breathing room, based on how they have responded so far.

It would be unfair to do a YouTube on going into limp mode on camera while on a city freeway without giving them time to get it together. It's a big deal.

A couple of us have a "date" in early may to explore, document and video the coolerless envelope on Sport STEPS now that the weather is warming up..

I think they are coming to their senses up top, and it's hopefully starting to trickle down. Just shipping the retrofit package around North America with that volumeous different fender well will be a reason to stock up on FedEx shares. It ain't gonna be cheap, but it is compared to establishing the limping lemon (sadly, not Annie's Leapin' Lizard! ) urban legend for the series that will hang around long after they have been forced to retreat after a long hot (global warming) summer..

Last edited by Lost Horizon; 04-19-2007 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My Pissiness

What irks me, is that I have to jump through hoops to
A. Even get info about this fu**en subject
B. That I have to educate my own dealer on MY car that I leased from THEM and C. That they have to call BMW, I have to call BMW and WAIT for a response?

Even if they want to play the game about installing them "on a needed case-by-case basis," the "Ok" should already be at each dealership from BMW to simply add the cooler to any complaintant’s 335i that requests one.

Since its already an established problem, no mystery’s. The authorization ought to be in each SA's pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhouseEnt View Post
What irks me, is that I have to jump through hoops to
A. Even get info about this fu**en subject
B. That I have to educate my own dealer on MY car that I leased from THEM and C. That they have to call BMW, I have to call BMW and WAIT for a response?

Even if they want to play the game about installing them "on a needed case-by-case basis," the "Ok" should already be at each dealership from BMW to simply add the cooler to any complaintant’s 335i that requests one.

Since its already an established problem, no mystery’s. The authorization ought to be in each SA's pocket.
There really is no mystery.. the Coproration is still stuck in the 20th century. THis is a whole new mode of customer power and instant feedback to them. They haven't figured out how to deal with it. As a widely diversified group crossing many walks of life, we actually *DO* know more than the dealer..

To be kind to BMW, it's a relationship work in progress for them that has put them off balance.. Make no mistake tho, it ain't ever going back to the old way of isolate and bury on "a case by case" approach. They need a small dose of ADD and instant gratification to speed them up..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedede View Post
I'm sorry, I can see it.
Its behind the fins on the fender well.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
psu139
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

don't get to worked up. just call bmwna and tell them you want a retro fit. if that doesn't work, when bmw calls you for the review of the dealership tell them about the issue. i had the same problem they called me today and a retro fit kit is being placed on order.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 01:38 AM   #11
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep

I believe that is what's going to happen. In my heart I don't believe this will turn into a real fiasco. I am just annoyed at having to waste my time with it.
As if I don't have twin boys and a career to deal with....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizon View Post
There really is no mystery.. the Coproration is still stuck in the 20th century. THis is a whole new mode of customer power and instant feedback to them. They haven't figured out how to deal with it. As a widely diversified group crossing many walks of life, we actually *DO* know more than the dealer..

To be kind to BMW, it's a relationship work in progress for them that has put them off balance.. Make no mistake tho, it ain't ever going back to the old way of isolate and bury on "a case by case" approach. They need a small dose of ADD and instant gratification to speed them up..
This is very true many dealers do not understand the power of the internet and the fact that people can share information so quickly. These guys are use to dealing with people who have no idea if thier problem is an isolated case or a issues that everyone is having. So that gotten good at putting people off in hopes they will just go away and think it is only them.

Also, I tried to find the law with no luck, but the simple fact these cars did not have all the parts you PAID for they are required to make you whole otherwise it can be consider comsumer fraud. You did not get what you paid for.

I bought a car once which had the wrong tires on it. I ordered the upgraded tires. After driving on them 12k miles and they wore completely out did I find out they were the worng tires. I called the dealer and they did the side step and said call the car company. The car company tried to do the side step too, but they did tell me each and every dealer is required to inspect and verify that every car they recieve has all the right parts and options on the car as order. If they had done that when the car was deliever and found it had the wrong tires, the car manufacturer would have replaced them imediately. However since I drove off with the car and it was not found the problems is now the dealerships problems.

Remember, you also paid for dealer prep, this use to be a line item on the invoice way back but got taken off since most of the dealer prep is to insure the car is safe to drive, and comsumer groups said they should not have to pay for this. We still pay but it is a hiden cost these days

Needless to say, I was back in the dealerships hands and the idiot sales managers. It went back and forth with them, and I finally tracked down the Dealership ower and made a personal call to him. I explained what happen and the fact he delieved me a car which did not include the parts I had order and that alone is consider consumer fraud and I wish his dealership to address the situation immediately. I also explained him how many people I could reach over the internet in and matter of days and explain how they violated the law. Owers understand this, people who work for them could care less.

In the end the owner came through and replaced all 4 tires at his cost.

The moral of this store, stand your ground and introduce them to the law and power of the comsumer.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #13
AJ M2 comp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335Xi

Do you think they will give me a 3rd oil cooler? My car has two but still runs hot!

2008 e92 335xi 6mt, Montego Blue, Jade Grey, Grey Poplar, Sport, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, KW V3s, M3 spoiler, 35% tint, 3M clear bra, GP Thunder H8
2007 E92 335i*
2003 E46 330Ci*
1994 Ford Probe SE* *Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 335TT View Post
Do you think they will give me a 3rd oil cooler? My car has two but still runs hot!
:finger:
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #15
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ 335TT View Post
oops.. that would make a few ears ring..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

BMW CORP UPDATE: Important!

Note: I will out of respect, not post the person's name at corporate whom called me back this morning from BMW main. I think we all as internet guru's, have to respect that if we keep throwing the people that are helping us to the wolves by posting names and numbers, they may close ranks and not be so helpful in the future. On the other hand you could say it will make the situation better, but I tend to lean toward the other way. They'll learn from this lesson to gauge what they do and say, because they're notes and responses will be plastered on the net seconds later. Alec Baldwin?

Anyway, here's the line. I was called me back immediately this early morning and told they would have the cooler installed ASAP. They ARE back loaded so may take a few weeks. The person was very nice and way up the ladder in BMW. Now of course I picked her brain and told her what the problems posted by other owners were and why, we owners, are so upset. Not so much at the oversight of missing coolers, but the handling of it, the dealers crappy attitudes, lies and responses.
Clincher: BMW Corp is irate over the DEALERS handlings of these cases. Dealership feigned ignorance of the issues, lack of knowledge on the proper operating temps of the 335i, lack of pre-authorizations for potential future cooler installs (as people come in the door,) and overall handling of the issue is squarely on the DEALERS, their assh*le SA's and the ignorant "senior" mechanics whom seem to be too lazy to do their jobs.
Now, of coarse there is some level of ass protecting on BMW’s part. They should have sent out the bulletins privately, to dealers as a heads-up, on their own. But I personally see that it is a dealership problem.

I was told that the mechanics HAVE been trained on the 335i, and that these stories about "its a new model, we don't know enough" are pure, 100% bullsh*t. This corp person was on the testy side, and not at me. At having to hear these stories from valued customers on an hourly basis. They know this issue may cause customers that may on their next purchase, jump ship to another brand. You can tell there are several meetings a day about internet info on this issue, customer calls, dealer calls, etc. They are getting hammered up there. Auto magazines call (like Motortrend,) engineers, etc.

I was told that "BMW CORP IS FULLY AWARE OF ALL ISSUES BEING POSTED ON THE INTERNET AND THAT ALL POSTINGS ARE DISCUSSED AND RESEARCHED." The threat was also there, I think, about their knowledge about things happening like the ProCeed/ Xede, etc. They ARE watching these posts. I was told that definitively. You can take it to the bank they will do something to catch the perps. So watch your rear-end about your posts. I was ASKED FOR MY EMAIL ADDRESS. Read that again. (Take that info where you wish.) So those of you with an eMail address similar to or the same as your screen name.....
Anyway, I was not asked to prove I had over heating problems, or anything else.

"You want the oil cooler sir, you've got it. We'll send you the release and we're done."
Folks, with extensive legal experience and being the son of a lawyer, I suggest dropping the law suit talk. Get your cooler and move on. I personally believe it's a simple mistake caused by a number of issues in the chain of command, that BMW I feel, IS going to rectify. A lawsuit will get you no where anyway. We're talking 10 years in court, at best. A lawsuit is based on DAMAGES anyway. If they install your cooler, there was no damages. I believe that there is a process to this issue, if followed, will be simple and painless to get your cooler. I was told that the proper operating temp is between 210 and 300 degrees. "The dealers know that. If they say they don't, they are lying or don't pay attention. One phone call gets them that answer."

I feel very strongly that the mechanics and SA’s are at nearly 90% fault here. I was told by the person at corp, that basically anyone "at a dealer level that says they don’t have training, knowledge or access to the info about the operating temps of the 335i oil gauge, or the missing cooler… is a bold faced liar." "Sir, what do you think? A new model is developed by a huge automotive giant, and sent to a dealership... and they're sent without manuals, shcematics and a hotline for anything they desire to know? Come on."

I could hear the frustration of this person that the dealers are shoving the blame at the hand that is feeding them. BMW.
The next time an SA tells you the type of crap I relayed that was told to me, (posted early on in this thread,) smile, talk a breath of air. You're looking at the face of a liar.

Sleep tight. You’ll be taken care of… ask and you shall receive!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

NewhouseEnt,

Thanks for the information and assessment of the situation is most likely dead on here. People should head your advise and work to get their issue resolved without making treats. You all need to find the decision maker and who has vested interest in you being happy. Most of the time it will not be the SA or the Technician.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Clincher: BMW Corp is irate over the DEALERS handlings of these cases. Dealership feigned ignorance of the issues, lack of knowledge on the proper operating temps of the 335i, lack of pre-authorizations for potential future cooler installs (as people come in the door,) and overall handling of the issue is squarely on the DEALERS, their assh*le SA's and the ignorant "senior" mechanics whom seem to be too lazy to do their jobs.
Now, of coarse there is some level of ass protecting on BMW’s part. They should have sent out the bulletins privately, to dealers as a heads-up, on their own. But I personally see that it is a dealership problem.
Sleep tight. You’ll be taken care of… ask and you shall receive!
While I agree that there is feigned ignorance at the dealerships, the person you talked to is full of **it! I have (and am) pursuing 2 paths on this -- one through the dealer, and also through BMWNA.

1) Dealer -- possibly feigned ignorance, no response, poor service perspective. While the SA and CA appear genuinely interested in helping, they are not actively doing anything from what I can tell. Any real information I've received so far has come from...
2) BMWNA -- Through Customer Relations via website/email and phone discussions, I have been fed a line of BS, quoted elsewhere. The "high-up" person you talked to is either lying or ignorant when she tells you "ask and you shall receive". I have asked, pushed politely, and have been told "too bad". My next round of communication will be less charitable, and if this current pattern of inconsistent responses and misrepresentation continues, I will become less and less nice in my pursuit.
:mad:

And, yes, I know BMW is paying attention.
If you're smart, you know who I am. Figure out the message.
      04-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #19
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I feel your pain

I know what you're going through, believe me. You just got the wrong people, I stumbled across some of the right ones, I suppose. Luck of the draw.
If you still cannot get the issue resolved, let me know. Maybe I can contact the person I spoke with, give them your Vin # and tell them you're really having a bad time, can they please push your through? Or at least contact him (meaning you.)

I still stand on my assertions.

By the way, my line of "ask and you shall receive" is mine. I said it, not this person at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #20
BMW_drei
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
I know what you're going through, believe me. You just got the wrong people, I stumbled across some of the right ones, I suppose. Luck of the draw.
If you still cannot get the issue resolved, let me know. Maybe I can contact the person I spoke with, give them your Vin # and tell them you're really having a bad time, can they please push your through? Or at least contact him (meaning you.)

I still stand on my assertions.

By the way, my line of "ask and you shall receive" is mine. I said it, not this person at BMW.
I appreciate the offer -- most of my frustration is that I have to get the right person on an issue that is well known by all concerned.

I understood the "ask..." line was paraphrased, but it has been the theme of those with coolers on the way. Once again, it should not matter who in the official channels you talk to (reality is that is usually does matter) -- an organization that is genuinely customer-focussed does not deal this way. Through this issue, we are proving (again?) that BMW, for all its marketing rhetoric, is as full of BS and work/cost-avoidanceas the worst beaurocracies.
      04-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #21
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

you know i understand your pain but being an ass to your dealer is unacceptable....they are obviously doing something it is not like they can just order one out of the blue...when they are on back order no less without checking with bmw...so let them check...i mean the dealer isn't losing any money on the issue it just gives the dealer more money and is good for the dealer so obviously it is out of the dealers hands...esp since this has become an issue in north america but not everyone knows about it and most dealers havn't had any overheating issues so how do you expect them to know...this is like he only forum(though a large one) that really talks about it..my dealer has been sold out since day one and my SA is a buddy also and he says they haven't had one in for overheating and the only one that went into limp mode needed an update and was a September production.....some people are getting the retrofit and it seems as if you have an issue they will give you one but only if you have an issue....it is a bmwna issue that they have been handleing with bmwag so it is not surprising if they have a lock on the part no./s for the kit!!!
________
Cheap Tsd Sports Powered Non Blowback Airsoft

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #22
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I agree

That's why I never called anyone a liar to their face at the dealer. I simply smiled and went on to call BMW and let the rest work itself out. I'm not starting a war with anyone at the dealership over this. It's not nescessarry.

From a pure business standpoint, I understand BMW's issue.

Why issue a huge recall that will cost them about $10,000,000 when most of the 335i owners will never overheat, don't know about all the hoopla, and will not ask for a cooler. Why spend money for nothing? Most of the 335i owners will be typical putz's who meander along at 50mph on full blown straight-aways, no traffic.

But I still think the dealers know. I still think there should be a pre-auth for potential noobies coming through the door asking for their cooler-candy.

Just my jibb.
Appreciate 0