E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Aussie 320I E90 N46 Engine Mechanical Coolant pump issues

08-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
BMW1788
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I E90

Wink Aussie 320I E90 N46 Engine Mechanical Coolant pump issues

My BMW 320I decided to blow the expansion tank hose at the plastic cross radiator part as well as the top hose to expansion tank plastic splitter cracking. Common problems with these things. Replaced these and then the top hose flange to engine piece as well because the seal was deteriorated and it started leaking and of course you can’t get just the seal in Australia, that I could find.

Now everything is back together I am unable to find if and how the cooling system should be bled for a mechanical coolant pump. Plenty of posts and google sites for the electric pump but nothing valid on the mechanical pump.

Also how does one check if the mechanical pump is functioning and the thermostat. I have ran the car and even got it hot to see if there is any flow through the expansion tank hose but nothing seems to flow. Is this a sign that the pump is stuffed and is there a reasonable procedure for replacing this pump and thermostat. I have found a few posts and google sites on replacing the pump so this is not too bad but nothing on bleeding the system and checking the pump.

My first post to this forum, Please be gentle.

Last edited by BMW1788; 08-24-2019 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Additional comments re newbie on here
Appreciate 0