E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > LCI Paddle wheel retrofit - question

04-10-2020, 05:43 AM   #1
ThomasW
Rep
Drives: '06 E91 325i + '09 E91 325i

LCI Paddle wheel retrofit - question

Hi,

Just bought a steering wheel with lci paddles to retrofit in my 2009 e91.

When disassembling the cover and the paddles to do a thourough clean I noticed someone's been messing with the wire position in the connectors of the paddles.

The lci paddles both have two red wires, which is correct and should be in the outside spot (1 and 3). The part of the switch block on the buttons has three wires, not corresponding with the paddle wires.

Is this correct, or does the switch block not match the paddles? In other words, does a switch block for lci paddles have the corresponding two wires just like the paddles or do all switch blocks (Pre-lci and lci) have 3 wires?

Hope someone can clarify!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
ThomasW
Rep
Drives: '06 E91 325i + '09 E91 325i

After combining some findings, I figured it out. The previous owner of the wheel tried to do the mod, but did not do the soldering. Of the three pin connection in the control switch part, only two are used.

I followed this instruction: https://www.n54tech.com/instructions...dification.pdf

De-solder the resistors in the switches, bridge the connections and change the wire position according to the pdf.

I already made a wiring loom matching this:

Install loom to shifter, install other end to steering column like in the widely available instructions on the web, fit wheel and it was a straight fit and works perfect.
Appreciate 0