E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Replace Rear Seatbelt e90

08-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
denjermen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

DIY - Replace Rear Seatbelt e90

Figured I've been mooching off this site long enough that I contribute something worth while. Last week, my rear driver-side seatbelt locked up and would not pull out from the resting position. In other words, my buddy couldn't pull the seatbelt out to buckle himself in. So with the help of previous posts, I replaced the broken seatbelt with one I bought from eBay. Here's how I did it:

1.) Remove the seat cushion. The rear seat cushion is held on by two locking mechanism. It's just a matter of pulling the rear seat up and then sliding it out from the rear seat back. The picture below shows the two locking mechanisms after the rear seat cushion was removed.

2.) Remove the rear seat back. I saw how to remove the rear seat back from this post: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4646. The pictures on the referenced post describes how to unlock the rear seat back and shows the picture of the locking mechanism. What it didn't show is the location of the two bolts at the bottom of the rear seat back, so here it is:

Also, note that the rear seat back has two metalic hooks on each sides of the seat backs (the picture didn't come out, but when you remove the rear seat, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about). These two hooks go into the metal grooves by the door sills. The picture below shows where the metal groove is on the driver-side. It's the silver metal piece right above the beige plastic door sill, next to the cable bundles. Sorry, the picture is not the best... http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e5...t/DSC_1617.jpg

3.) Remove the upper rear panels. They are held on by a screw behind the SRS sign and two clips in the rear by the rear windsheild.

4.) Remove the rear deck, which is held on by the five black plastic pop-up clips and three bolts where the hooks for the baby seats are located. After removing the clips and bolts, it's just a matter of sliding the panel forward to remove.

5.) Remove the seatbelt. Remove the bolt holding the bottom part of the seatbelt. I forgot to take a picture of the plastic trim piece for the seatbelt that goes on the rear panel, but to remove it is just a matter of prying it off from the bottom and pulling down to get it free from the rear panel. To get the seatbelt free from the rear panel is just a matter of contorting each parts to fit through the opening. You'll also have to disconnect the speaker wire to be able to remove the panel. To remove the seatbelt, just unscrew the one bolt holding the seatbelt mechanism to the car.

6.) Put everything back in reverse order. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Clearmysix
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d

Thank you for this.

How much torque did you put on the seat belt bolts after you put everything back together?
      05-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearmysix View Post
Thank you for this.

How much torque did you put on the seat belt bolts after you put everything back together?
Does anyone know this? I got the rear seats out now and need to torque the seatbelts
Appreciate 0