E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Question for valvetronic experts

01-24-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 OG

Question for valvetronic experts

I keep getting a soft code for Valvetronic thermal overload. It doesn’t trigger a CEL, but my throttle response is awful, and the car feels like it has about 100 horsepower. The throttle response isn’t consistent either, sometimes power is more noticeable after cycling the Ignition.

I’ve replaced the following,

Both Vanos solenoids
Eccentric shaft sensor
Valvetronic Motor
Like a million Throttle adaptations..

I am beyond perplexed. Using ProTool I can see the engine load never exceeds 60 percent with throttle reading 99 percent on the raw gauges part of the app.

The car has a StageFp tune with headers, still get the code and throttle issue when flashed back to stock software.

Any advice or insight would be great!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:16 PM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
I keep getting a soft code for Valvetronic thermal overload. It doesn’t trigger a CEL, but my throttle response is awful, and the car feels like it has about 100 horsepower. The throttle response isn’t consistent either, sometimes power is more noticeable after cycling the Ignition.

I’ve replaced the following,

Both Vanos solenoids
Eccentric shaft sensor
Valvetronic Motor
Like a million Throttle adaptations..

I am beyond perplexed. Using ProTool I can see the engine load never exceeds 60 percent with throttle reading 99 percent on the raw gauges part of the app.

The car has a StageFp tune with headers, still get the code and throttle issue when flashed back to stock software.

Any advice or insight would be great!
I wouldn't say im an expert, but It could be that the eccentric shaft itself is stiff or jammed. Have you tried doing the eccentric shaft stops learning procedure?
Other than that i would probably remove the valve cover and check the eccentric shaft to make sure it can move freely.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
If you have INPA,

Unplug the Valvetronic motor control harness and using an Allen key gently screw the Valvetronic motor until the cam hits the stops, check the position in INPA. Then going the oposite direction screw the motor until you hit the opposite stops. Check INPA position again. One stop will be nearly 0 and the other should be 275 over very close.

There should be some resistance on the Allen screw but it should be smooth through out the range.

Should give you a good idea where to look. 10 minutes "tops"
Appreciate 3
Biginboca3763.50
b1aze565.50
dwashy64.50
      01-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
I keep getting a soft code for Valvetronic thermal overload.
This is exactly what I got when my ESS failed. I didn't want to believe it and suspected that it was the Valvetronic motor itself that had failed but after trying a replacement from the junk yard I had the same soft code that was set. Only one time over the course of a week did I get a ESS-related code set, but the rest were for the Valvetronic thermal overload.

I know you said you replaced the ESS already. What brand replacement did you use? If it wasn't VDO (or BMW) that might be the problem.

I'd start with what rjahl said to do.
Appreciate 0