E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Quick Help on RMS/Flywheel/Clutch/ Refresh

01-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #1
la_wea619
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i e92, 2003 325i e46

Quick Help on RMS/Flywheel/Clutch/ Refresh

Hey Guys,

New to the e9x world (current e46 owner). I'm getting a 2009 328i e92 manual with 150k (non turbo - see photo below). Car just needs a whole new clutch/flywheel and while I'm down there plan to refresh as much as I can.

This is a daily driver I will drive hard regularly but never track it and will never optimize its performance aside from some bolt on stuff - if that.

So what freaking clutch/flywheel combo should I buy?? Sachs? Luk? stock 335i? Stage 2 turner? What are the specific special tools, oem lubricants, and fluids that I need? 8mm RMS or 12mm??

Yes, I've gone through and watched the videos and read the DIY's. But specific fluids, lubricants and special tools are often glossed over. Most posts are about 335i's and tuned cars. If SMFW have lots of noise, I'm fine sticking with a DMFW. But what's the consensus in 2021? The pilot bearing and RMS tools are often listed as universal....recommendations?

I'm renting a garage in less than two weeks and thus am a little behind on sourcing all the information. Just a e9x newbie looking for some help.

I won't even have this car in 5-6 years and I drive under 15k miles/year. Just trying to buy solid parts that I won't need to worry about and can sell the car still strong.

I plan to do the RMS, flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, etc. Possibly shifter refresh as well since it's exposed. Just trying to knock out everything I can. Any concrete information would help.

V#: WBAWB33579PU89642

Thank you all so much ! Look forward to when she's running.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
E92William1998.00
      01-25-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
850CSi
16 years and counting...
Rep
Drives: '06 325i 6MT

There are a few long threads about N52 flywheel/clutch jobs on here that should answer all of your questions. In fact just take a look at my posting history and you’ll probably find links to these topics and almost everything you need to know.

It’s a judgment call but to me the stock (Luk) DMF and clutch are the way to go. My DMF came with the new pilot bearing already pressed in.

It is unlikely that you are going to see a leaky RMS and if it’s not leaking the general consensus is to leave it alone.

Don’t forget to replace the throwout bearing guide tube. Transmission mounts, giubo, transmission fluid, and shift rod seal (if you have a leaky trans) are some others to consider.

As far as a shifter refresh, I’d do the shift rod joint and front/back carrier bushings while you’re in there.

The two worst parts of the job by far for me were getting the rusted exhaust off and reinstalling the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
I installed the Valeo SMF kit in my 530 wagon (same drivetrain). Its well worth it for anyone who really likes to drive manual. I notice some minor drivetrain noise but I really have to look for it; Most people in the car would never notice. I raised the idle 50/100rpm and its totally gone.

Rear mains on BMWs tend to be very good, ie if its not leaking/weeping then just leave it. By doing it you might actually create a problem for yourself unless you have all the right tools.

Also while youre in there you could consider some shifter bushing upgrade and E46 M3 trans bushings(if rwd) for a good upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #4
la_wea619
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i e92, 2003 325i e46

Hmmm.....so you like the SMFW neilvan and the chatter isn't too bad eh? What type of "increased performance/driving" does it provide?

And thank you for those insights! 850CSi And I'll definitely check your threads and yes, I plan to swap the guibo, transmission mounts, all of that. I need to write up some notes for myself as well.

I do plan to have all the right tools for any bearings or seals I plan to replace, and I hear you 100% on if it's not leaking, don't touch it.

I think I also plan to do a short shifter while I'm there (any recommended kits?) and the CDV delete if that's recommended as well.

Any additional jobs I should be looking at?

And thanks a million. It's always nice to be able to bounce ideas around.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
I will only replace them with SMF clutches. I have to do my N54 car next and it will get the same treatment. When I go back to the DMF cars (2 N54 and another N52) I remind myself how vague and indirect they are.

The Valeo kit is the same weight as stock so no performance benefit like a lightened flywheel but also minimum nvh increase. But the feel of the clutch and the sharpness of the engagement point(which the point DMF is supossed to dull for comfort reasons) makes it all better.

Also 100% CDV delete whichever route you choose\

Edit: I used INPA to raise the idle so it was pretty easy. Anyone who can do coding can do it
Appreciate 0