E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Suggestions for FMIC emissions legal for CA?

02-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #23
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Nobody is going to look at the intercooler during an inspection.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #24
alpineweissm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is (sold) 2020 X3MC

So we've established that we're probably okay getting an intercooler through smog, but what about an aftermarket charge pipe? Perhaps even one using the factory diverters?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #25
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweissm View Post
So we've established that we're probably okay getting an intercooler through smog, but what about an aftermarket charge pipe? Perhaps even one using the factory diverters?
Charge pipe is fine as well

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #26
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
People need to realize smog techs aren't trained to do in-depth inspections on vehicles in CA. Assuming most have anything other than the rudimentary skills necessary to do their testing correctly is giving most of them way too much credit.

That isn't to say there aren't some mechanically inclined smog techs out there, but even most of them can't recognize, or would even care about, most performance mods on most vehicles, unless the mods are so obvious that the techs think they might get in trouble by NOT reporting them.

Think about the 100s of different vehicles makes, models, years, etc, and people will hopefully realize they're asking a lot for any minimally-trained smog tech to recognize mods of any sort.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #27
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
People need to realize smog techs aren't trained to do in-depth inspections on vehicles in CA. Assuming most have anything other than the rudimentary skills necessary to do their testing correctly is giving most of them way too much credit.

That isn't to say there aren't some mechanically inclined smog techs out there, but even most of them can't recognize, or would even care about, most performance mods on most vehicles, unless the mods are so obvious that the techs think they might get in trouble by NOT reporting them.

Think about the 100s of different vehicles makes, models, years, etc, and people will hopefully realize they're asking a lot for any minimally-trained smog tech to recognize mods of any sort.
I've seen one pull out a book. I'm assuming it is some kind of guide. Don't exactly know what's in there, but looked like stock pictures IIRC when I took a quick peek.....

Anyways, the CARB rules are clear on the intercooler, but sometimes I run into a smog tech that seems just itching to fail me. (I didn't ever go back to that one. Was looking at the drycharger on my K&N intake filter on a '99 GS400 like it was a no-no.)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #28
tunachris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
I got nailed for an aftermarket charge pipe/ BOV. I even took off the DCI, and put the stock airbox back on. Told the technician that the POS factory charge pipe was plastic, and twice the price of an all metal replacement. Didn't seem to care, and still charged me, aven though he failed me. What a scam!!!
      02-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #29
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

You seem near enough. Can try RedBox in Alhambra. At least a reasonable price. I take all the cars in the household there....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #30
Tonto_Goldstein
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Not true. I failed the inspection because of aftermarket charge pipe and BOV. However, TBH I think the guy said if I put the diverter valves back on the charge pipe would be okay. But the charge pipe I bought only supported the BOV so I had to return to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #31
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto_Goldstein View Post
Not true. I failed the inspection because of aftermarket charge pipe and BOV. However, TBH I think the guy said if I put the diverter valves back on the charge pipe would be okay. But the charge pipe I bought only supported the BOV so I had to return to stock.
Correct, the charge pipe is an aluminum pipe that won't affect emission. I guess under Carb laws, the BOV is not legal?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54525.50
      02-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #32
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto_Goldstein View Post
Correct, the charge pipe is an aluminum pipe that won't affect emission. I guess under Carb laws, the BOV is not legal?
It's because VTA, so if you have DVs set to VTA as well that could possibly fail you.
      02-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #33
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
I'm quite sure that technically speaking, an aluminum charge pipe would not be smog legal, simply because it is a modification of the intake system which is illegal unless CARB-certified. It really depends on how much the tech cares, they do have a book with diagrams of what stock looks like, but for these newer cars they just do a cursory visual inspection and then scan the OBD.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:59 PM   #34
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

I just smogged my car last month.

I have

*AFE dual intakes (that may or may or may not have burger tuning CARB sticker on them nobody steal my idea)
*VSRF 5 inch intercooler
*Forge Diverter Valves
*BMS alum Chargepipe
*gutted OE mufflers

No issues with smog or anything like that was in and out in like 5min roughly.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #35
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
I just smogged my car last month.

I have

*AFE dual intakes (that may or may or may not have burger tuning CARB sticker on them nobody steal my idea)
*VSRF 5 inch intercooler
*Forge Diverter Valves
*BMS alum Chargepipe
*gutted OE mufflers

No issues with smog or anything like that was in and out in like 5min roughly.
I genuinely wonder if I could put carb stickers on a single turbo and convince at least one cop it's not worth a BAR referral
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2021, 02:53 PM   #36
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

ive been state refed basically what the ref told me was it all depends on the ref you get charge pipes and intercoolers are viewed as a repair/replacement if they came in your vehicle in the first place. For example, you replaced the charge pipes with an aftermarket one made out of metal to prevent it from cracking again. Its perfectly legal to make your own replacement parts it all depends on the person inspecting your car.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #37
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
I genuinely wonder if I could put carb stickers on a single turbo and convince at least one cop it's not worth a BAR referral
There's only 1 way to find out, you want to be the guinea pig?
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1363.50
      03-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #38
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30n55 View Post
ive been state refed basically what the ref told me was it all depends on the ref you get charge pipes and intercoolers are viewed as a repair/replacement if they came in your vehicle in the first place. For example, you replaced the charge pipes with an aftermarket one made out of metal to prevent it from cracking again. Its perfectly legal to make your own replacement parts it all depends on the person inspecting your car.
Do you (or anyone seeing this) know if they can do a BAR referral on, say, a car owned by an LLC out of Montana? Or any other out-of-state reg situation
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #39
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you (or anyone seeing this) know if they can do a BAR referral on, say, a car owned by an LLC out of Montana? Or any other out-of-state reg situation
What's the point in that? you register in Montana to not pay taxes on a car sell your car out of state then sell it back to yourself and the state ref goes away
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #40
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What's the point in that? you register in Montana to not pay taxes on a car sell your car out of state then sell it back to yourself and the state ref goes away
Well I'm picking up a car from out of state and smog is a no-go on it. Smog inspection I can get around easily, I know several places that can pass it for a relatively insignificant amount of cash.

However, as an out of state car it needs a "vin-verification" inspection completed by CHP or AAA (AAA is currently not doing this due to Covid, although an option in my mind is to befriend a guy at AAA and convince him to pass it). So as it sits registering in another state is basically the only option I see, and I'm wondering if this insulates me from BAR requirements.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #41
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I'm picking up a car from out of state and smog is a no-go on it. Smog inspection I can get around easily, I know several places that can pass it for a relatively insignificant amount of cash.

However, as an out of state car it needs a "vin-verification" inspection completed by CHP or AAA (AAA is currently not doing this due to Covid, although an option in my mind is to befriend a guy at AAA and convince him to pass it). So as it sits registering in another state is basically the only option I see, and I'm wondering if this insulates me from BAR requirements.
Makes sense, at the moment in cali its a hit or miss with chp due to covid. If you are in north cali go to yuba city DMV they dont send anyone to chp. Your best bet is to go to a small town in the sticks the more redneck the better and register your car at their dmv. Another option is to consult you local shops who rebild cars pick out one guy with the thickest accent he will for sure know what dmv sends deosnt send you to chp. I registered my Mercedes that was bought through a dealer out of state. I went to the dmv with the title and a bill of sale filled out the form the guy checked my emissions sticker vin sticker and I was out with my plates 5 minutes later.

Last edited by nickf30n55; 03-03-2021 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #42
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense, at the moment in cali its a hit or miss with chp due to covid. If you are in north cali go to yuba city DMV they dont send anyone to chp. Your best bet is to go to a small town in the sticks the more redneck the better and register your car at their dmv. Another option is to consult you local shops who rebild cars pick out one guy with the thickest accent he will for sure know what dmv sends deosnt send you to chp. I registered my Mercedes that was bought through a dealer out of state. I went to the dmv with the title and a bill of sale filled out the form the guy checked my emissions sticker vin sticker and I was out with my plates 5 minutes later.
Did they pop the hood at any point? When I brought my 540 back from Texas (bought it in socal, but drove mostly in TX for school and found it easiest to just register there when the CA reg expired), AAA had to check some stuff under the hood for the Vin Verification. I didn't pay attention to what it actually was since the car was stock, and part of me has my doubts that the lady at AAA who fills out the forms would be able to identify that a cleanly-done N54 ST isn't stock, but if she does and wants to refer it to CHP I am SOL.

FWIW I generally do registration at AAA to skip the wait at the DMV. As a bonus they don't question the sales price of the car, at all. DMV might give a funny look or something in my experience but AAA is like "okay cool you paid 3k for this 335is sounds good"

I'm assuming that AAA couldn't write a BAR referral, though. Probably the worst is they refuse to verify the car and refer me to CHP for the inspection. I'd almost be tempted to say that the hood release doesn't work, and try my luck with that angle combined with being extremely polite. Montana registration is cheaper in terms of overall cost (no $$ smog every 2 years) and tax savings, my main hesitation is the 'stigma' against MT plates since everyone kinda knows whats up.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #43
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did they pop the hood at any point? When I brought my 540 back from Texas (bought it in socal, but drove mostly in TX for school and found it easiest to just register there when the CA reg expired), AAA had to check some stuff under the hood for the Vin Verification. I didn't pay attention to what it actually was since the car was stock, and part of me has my doubts that the lady at AAA who fills out the forms would be able to identify that a cleanly-done N54 ST isn't stock, but if she does and wants to refer it to CHP I am SOL.

FWIW I generally do registration at AAA to skip the wait at the DMV. As a bonus they don't question the sales price of the car, at all. DMV might give a funny look or something in my experience but AAA is like "okay cool you paid 3k for this 335is sounds good"

I'm assuming that AAA couldn't write a BAR referral, though. Probably the worst is they refuse to verify the car and refer me to CHP for the inspection. I'd almost be tempted to say that the hood release doesn't work, and try my luck with that angle combined with being extremely polite. Montana registration is cheaper in terms of overall cost (no $$ smog every 2 years) and tax savings, my main hesitation is the 'stigma' against MT plates since everyone kinda knows whats up.
As long as you have a stock airbox on everything looking OEM with the engine cover no turbo sticking out the top shouldn't be a problem, the only thing they look for is the emissions sticker. Even at the state ref, I think you could get away with upgraded turbos if you toss on the oem tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #44
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
As long as you have a stock airbox on everything looking OEM with the engine cover no turbo sticking out the top shouldn't be a problem, the only thing they look for is the emissions sticker. Even at the state ref, I think you could get away with upgraded turbos if you toss on the oem tune.
That's the thing...attached a pic of what I'm working with. Stock airbox is a no-go, there is indeed a big turbo sticking out the top, and reverting to something stock-looking simply wouldn't make sense when I can register under an LLC in Montana for $8-900 and never see any inspection.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0