E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Drivers for Bav Technic cable ruined my computer

05-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Drivers for Bav Technic cable ruined my computer

I received the Bav Technic cable today hoping to register my newly installed battery and after following all the installation instructions, I plugged in the cable and my computer blue screened. I have 2 other devices which also use the FTDI chip on my computer and now all of those devices don't work either. One device is a VAG-COM which is very similar to the bav technic cable except for VW/Audis and the other is my Zapco audio amplifiers. All use the FTDI chip to communicate between the device and the computer. Now plugging in any of the 3 devices will cause my computer to blue screen.

What can I do? Anyone had this issue before?
      05-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

Did you install new drivers before you plugged in the BT cable?
If so it's probably the drivers causing the problem (and since all the cables probably use the same driver they all crash your computer).
You can try and restore to a previous configuration point since installing a new driver should cause windows to kind of backup itself.
Or you can try and remove the new drivers (if there is an uninstall and if not just track down the files that were installed and remove them).
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
Did you install new drivers before you plugged in the BT cable?
If so it's probably the drivers causing the problem (and since all the cables probably use the same driver they all crash your computer).
You can try and restore to a previous configuration point since installing a new driver should cause windows to kind of backup itself.
Or you can try and remove the new drivers (if there is an uninstall and if not just track down the files that were installed and remove them).
Yup. Installed the drivers first just like the instructions. Hopefully BT can figure out what the problem is with their driver. After doing a little more digging, when I had the same problem with my VAG-COM, they said they had to write a custom driver for me because there is an incompatibility with their standard driver and the USB 3.0 controller that my computer uses.
      05-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Check to see if any of your USB ports are not blue inside, most computers actually have more than one USB controllers and the black ones are the old 2.0 standard so those might work if it's really a USB 3.0 problem.
Also if you have an USB hub laying around you can try and connect via one of those.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Check to see if any of your USB ports are not blue inside, most computers actually have more than one USB controllers and the black ones are the old 2.0 standard so those might work if it's really a USB 3.0 problem.
Also if you have an USB hub laying around you can try and connect via one of those.
Yes I'm only using the 2.0 ports but no matter what port you plug it into, the computer blue screens. I've restored the computer back to before I installed the BT drivers so hopefully that will get me back to the point where my other devices work until I can hear from BT. Unfortunately, they don't work on the weekends. When I had this problem with my VAG-COM, I got the new driver within a few hours on a Sunday. Now that's customer service!
      05-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Rolling back the computer to a restore point before I installed the BT drivers got me to where at least my other devices work again. Now I'm just waiting for BT to respond to my inquiry.
      05-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Got a response from BT this morning and they basically said there is no updated driver and they do not plan to provide one anytime soon. Apparently their cable only works on older computers that do no support USB 3.0.

IMO, that is crap and shows that they either don't have the knowledge to address the problem or they just don't care. Based on other issues that I've heard with their cable, I;m leaning towards they just don't care. Unfortunately, this was the only solution that I knew of to perform diagnostics on this car and now I'm still stuck with trying to register my new battery.

Does anyone know of any other diagnostic tools that will work on a computer with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports? I already asked Ross-Tech awhile ago if they would be doing something that supports our cars but they are choosing to concentrate on the Audi/VW market.
      05-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just search this forum on how to register a battery using INPA. You will need another cable but it's only $45.
Also you might want to try and use the BT cable without installing their drivers, it sounds like it uses the same drivers as the other cables and since it's mostly a serial to usb adapter as far as the OS is concerned it should work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just search this forum on how to register a battery using INPA. You will need another cable but it's only $45.
Also you might want to try and use the BT cable without installing their drivers, it sounds like it uses the same drivers as the other cables and since it's mostly a serial to usb adapter as far as the OS is concerned it should work just fine.
I tried just plugging in the cable without installing BTs drivers but the software doesn't recognize the cable without the BT driver. I thought about just getting the cable that everyone is using for coding but does that cable also have issues with USB 3.0 controllers? I would be screwed if I bought that one and it didn't work since it is basically an ebay product with little to no tech support.
      05-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I use an older laptop myself but I have not seen anybody complain about blue screen issues and I doubt everyone on this forum uses old laptops.
And those cables use some pretty generic drivers that probably come with windows 7 already.
Isn't there some indy BMW show around there, they would have the tools necessary to register a battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I use an older laptop myself but I have not seen anybody complain about blue screen issues and I doubt everyone on this forum uses old laptops.
And those cables use some pretty generic drivers that probably come with windows 7 already.
Isn't there some indy BMW show around there, they would have the tools necessary to register a battery.
According to BT, its a known and common problem with any computer having USB 3.0 ports. I'm not going to question them on how common it is but if it is as common as they say, I think its pretty crappy that they are not even attempting to address it.

I'm sure there are indy shops around that can do the registration but the whole point was for me to get something I can use for diagnostics later. As you can see with the other devices I own, I like to do my own work rather than having to depend on someone else.
      06-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Still trying to chase this down even though I've returned the cable. I talked with Ross-Tech who makes the VAG-COM software for AUDI/VW and they gave me some tips about the latest USB 3.0 controllers that they found to work with their own cable since they had similar problems in the past that they were able to resolve. I passed on the link to the driver to Bavarian Technic to see if they are willing to try it. If it works, I'd be willing to repurchase the cable.

That's right, another company gave me advice on something that's not even their own product. Not only that, but I sent them the email at 11:20PM EST and got a response in less than 10 min. Its too bad there is no company like that in the BMW community. There was rumor years back about them coming out with a BMW platform software but for some reason the project died and they've decided to stick to the Audi/VW platform. Too bad.
      06-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Still trying to chase this down even though I've returned the cable. I talked with Ross-Tech who makes the VAG-COM software for AUDI/VW and they gave me some tips about the latest USB 3.0 controllers that they found to work with their own cable since they had similar problems in the past that they were able to resolve. I passed on the link to the driver to Bavarian Technic to see if they are willing to try it. If it works, I'd be willing to repurchase the cable.

That's right, another company gave me advice on something that's not even their own product. Not only that, but I sent them the email at 11:20PM EST and got a response in less than 10 min. Its too bad there is no company like that in the BMW community. There was rumor years back about them coming out with a BMW platform software but for some reason the project died and they've decided to stick to the Audi/VW platform. Too bad.
There is no other aftermarket company like Ross-Tech/VAG-COM/VCDS, regardless.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

^Amen to that.
Appreciate 0