E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Navigation doesn't work with GIAC

02-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #23
TwnTrboCAT1212
The Moose Whisperer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 GIAC S1 335xi 6-MT

Yea, maybe the car is so fast now with GIAC and the OP'er drives the car so fast at all times to enjoy the tune that the Navi. gave up hope and shut itself down because the satellites it associates with can't even keep up with the car! Sweet! I need mine flashed Asap!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #24
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

Have the shop upgrade to a Brembo Brake kit..should plug the harness back in.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #25
AlpineG05
hi
Rep
Drives: Alpine White G05

Take your ride to your dealership.
      02-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #26
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I know my issues with my stereo were tied to the TCU. I guess stereo functions on NAV are tied to something else?
They certainly talk to each other, specifically for bluetooth and BMW assist type data. But navigation should be unrelated..
      02-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #27
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

question.. ?

i know you dont want to air your dirty laundry on the forum for the sake of the shop ..

but my only question is this .. did the shop use the appropriate "stabilized" power supply when they performed the flash?

cuz i stated in another post (concerning the need for a stable power supply) things like this do happen if sufficient voltage is not provided to the network and modules go to sleep and wake up, taxing the available voltage supply. sometimes things like this DO happen.. its not the fault of the flash, but rather a procedural blunder on the part of the tech.

this is the very reason BMW has a specific power supply unit for use when programming cars. So if the entertainment control module and the TCU woke up at the same time and tried to communicate with one another, and either failed .. it could have broken the network connection... a battery reset may work if that is the case but, then again not ..

if so, please let us know how all this washes out

cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #28
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm def View Post
Have the shop upgrade to a Brembo Brake kit..should plug the harness back in.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #29
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
i know you dont want to air your dirty laundry on the forum for the sake of the shop ..

but my only question is this .. did the shop use the appropriate "stabilized" power supply when they performed the flash?

cuz i stated in another post (concerning the need for a stable power supply) things like this do happen if sufficient voltage is not provided to the network and modules go to sleep and wake up, taxing the available voltage supply. sometimes things like this DO happen.. its not the fault of the flash, but rather a procedural blunder on the part of the tech.

this is the very reason BMW has a specific power supply unit for use when programming cars. So if the entertainment control module and the TCU woke up at the same time and tried to communicate with one another, and either failed .. it could have broken the network connection... a battery reset may work if that is the case but, then again not ..

if so, please let us know how all this washes out

cheers
That's not really how it works, but the power supply is a good question. However, they have no reason (that I'm aware of) to reprogram anything but the ECU itself. Reprogramming the whole car would take hours, while the ECU on the other hand should take 45 minutes or so. A power supply is important, but it's unlikely any of the other modules were touched during the process.
      02-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #30
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
That's not really how it works, but the power supply is a good question. However, they have no reason (that I'm aware of) to reprogram anything but the ECU itself. Reprogramming the whole car would take hours, while the ECU on the other hand should take 45 minutes or so. A power supply is important, but it's unlikely any of the other modules were touched during the process.
the modules need not be programmed or encoded for there to be a data packet disruption. if you are assuming that i am saying "complete car" programming took place.. not so.. but all the units reside on the network. i'm saying the rest of the modules may have gone to sleep, and periodically they do wake up... this may or may not be the case.. but this was a typical occurence before BMW mandated the power supply.. i.e. working on one system component and having another fail thereafter
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #31
n2disco
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i

I started the car a few more times and now it is back to working normal. Thanks for all of your posts.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #32
mkato13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinship View Post
My jock itch always flares up after I get my teeth cleaned. Gonna change dentists...
Working in the ER(currently working now) thats the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. Thanks
Appreciate 0