E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > need help with bulb type

02-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

need help with bulb type

Can anyone tell me what bulb i need for my rear brake light ( 2006 e92 335d) I've searched but still cant decide what I need.

I ordered some off ebay. They looked right but were twice the physical size I needed.

I got some type 955 ( 12v 16w) when the tail light failed from halfords.

Anyone point me in the right direction (a link off ebay maybe)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

looking at it maybe the stops are 16w too. I would have thought the stop light bulbs were brighter
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

I got a 10 pack of these:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/R95...ake-Light.html

The rear light cluster has quite a few of these bulbs, thought I'd stock up. Halfords charge £2.50 for each 1!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Just pull one out and go a shop. I paid 62p per bulb.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #5
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

must be something in the air, i'm getting a rear left brake light failure message, but have checked and re seated the bulbs and circuit board, message went away for a day then reappeared. so i have component 0 excess warranty and have booked my car in to get checked out. i asked if this is covered under warranty and she said bulbs are only covered under 3 yr old cars, (my car is 3 +)i then had to again say i have checked the bulbs reseated them/circuit board and its def not the bulbs as i checked visually as well. she then went on to ask it may be the rear screen light. arrggg i wouldn’t phone them if i hadn’t done all the checks myself first. Well i'lll see what happens 2m. anyone else experience something similar with this type of error message pop up??
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
Markie68
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by simples View Post
must be something in the air, i'm getting a rear left brake light failure message, but have checked and re seated the bulbs and circuit board, message went away for a day then reappeared. so i have component 0 excess warranty and have booked my car in to get checked out. i asked if this is covered under warranty and she said bulbs are only covered under 3 yr old cars, (my car is 3 +)i then had to again say i have checked the bulbs reseated them/circuit board and its def not the bulbs as i checked visually as well. she then went on to ask it may be the rear screen light. arrggg i wouldn’t phone them if i hadn’t done all the checks myself first. Well i'lll see what happens 2m. anyone else experience something similar with this type of error message pop up??
Yes I got the fault code for the right hand side brake light.

pulled them out all looked fine took them out put them back in etc and still have the fault

Going to an Indy garage sat for my brake pads and discs to be changed so will see if they can figure out the problem

let us know how you get on

Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #7
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie68 View Post
Yes I got the fault code for the right hand side brake light.

pulled them out all looked fine took them out put them back in etc and still have the fault

Going to an Indy garage sat for my brake pads and discs to be changed so will see if they can figure out the problem

let us know how you get on

Mark
will do..

just to add before all this happened i got a rear fog light warning, that stopped then the above happened.i'll let the dealer know about that too !
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep

was in the stealers today picking up my egr stat & enquired after the price of a brake light bulb that has blow (AGAIN) & they were £5.40 each...... I told him I would buy at that price if they didnt blow every 2 months.

I hate the robbin b'stards...............
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Regarding the brakelight error message, be aware that the brakelight has 2 components on each side. There's the bit on the rear 3/4 (i.e. the cluster on the body) and there's another brakelight bulb on the bit of the light that's in the bootlid.

This caught me out when I had a similar warning message. IIRC, either bulb can cause the error message to show.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
.........and even if the bulb appears OK, replace them and I reckon all will be well.
      02-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Dirty connections = high resistance = car thinks lamp is blown.
4 off brake lamps in the coupe btw.

Any car accessories shop will sell them.
They are small wedge base types.
      02-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep

well in the end i did'nt go to the stealers. i ended up reseating all the bulbs on that side of the car and the message has gone, so i thought no point going without any error message on idrive as they will prob charge me for looking. however i suspect the message may come back as it did the last time.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Regarding the brakelight error message, be aware that the brakelight has 2 components on each side. There's the bit on the rear 3/4 (i.e. the cluster on the body) and there's another brakelight bulb on the bit of the light that's in the bootlid.

This caught me out when I had a similar warning message. IIRC, either bulb can cause the error message to show.
was your bulbs actually blown?? as mine are fine and lights work despite error being thrown up.
Appreciate 0