E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rear Diff is Dying on my 2k8 335xi

09-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Rear Diff is Dying on my 2k8 335xi

And I'm out of warranty, so I'm looking to purchase an aftermarket diff. I want to go with a LSD. Are any of you guys aware of a company that manufactures a LSD for the 335xi? I spoke with someone on this forum over a year ago, and supposedly the rear diffs are the same in the xi as they are in the i? Is this true? Thanks guys.

Edit: I did not intend for this thread to start a debate regarding the merits of LSD+AWD. I just want to figure out where to get an LSD for my car. Thanks guys.

Last edited by eclipsor; 09-28-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

I think its pointless to have an LSD on an xi...
      09-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie335 View Post
I think its pointless to have an LSD on an xi...
I should have put a disclaimer in my post: I'm not interested in responses such as yours. I know for a fact that my car would handle much better, especially at low speeds, with a limited slip diff in the rear. If you want, feel free to start another thread debating this, but please don't clutter up this one.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Call up Wavetrac ask for Dana and see what he says
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsor View Post
I should have put a disclaimer in my post: I'm not interested in responses such as yours. I know for a fact that my car would handle much better, especially at low speeds, with a limited slip diff in the rear. If you want, feel free to start another thread debating this, but please don't clutter up this one.
eh, what's with the attitude dude? I was referring to a point, no need to act like a mad/sad kid. LOL people.

PS: I'm free to post whenever I want, if you don't like it just ignore my post.
      09-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
eh, what's with the attitude dude? I was referring to a point, no need to act like a mad/sad kid. LOL people.

*sigh* I'm sorry I offended you.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Skydive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

FWIW, lots of Audi guys find benefit in fitting LSD units to longitudunal Quattro drivelines, which are widely considered to be the best of AWD designs because they are 100% mechanical, so yes... I think it's worth the research.
      09-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

Quote:

agree, attitude was unnecessary, and its awd soooooo i agree i dont see the pointin an lsd....and i hav an xdrive to.......can you explain how it would make a diff
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
drfrink24
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

My 2004 WRX STi had a LSD for the rear diff, and that AWD system was 10x more fun to drive aggressive than my xi. I don't see how it could hurt, unless it will mess up any logic w/xdrive.

I also understand that simply having the LSD in the Sti is not 100% why it was more fun to drive at 11, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchomini View Post
agree, attitude was unnecessary, and its awd soooooo i agree i dont see the pointin an lsd....and i hav an xdrive to.......can you explain how it would make a diff
I don't think I had any attitude. If anything, I think he was the one with the attitude, saying that he sees no point without adding anything constructive to the thread. I guess he did add that cool emoticon, so... who am I to judge?

Seriously, though, I know how things go on forums with respect to this topic. Every single thread I've ever started on this topic almost instantly spirals into uselessness, with people spewing uneducated opinions as if they were facts. It pisses me off, that's all.

Obviously I can't stop you all from posting what you want to post... I just wanted to actually get some information from this thread instead of being

Edit: I guess I'll just explain it quickly... AWD is not a substitute for an LSD. Obviously, AWD distributes power between the front and rear axles. Both the 335xi and the 335i have an open rear diff. Granted, the computer uses some fancy tricks and applies the brakes when it senses wheel-spin, which sorta makes it feel like a limited slip, but it's faar from an actual LSD. The xi benefits from a LSD almost as much as the 335i does, because it really doesn't have anything to do with the AWD system. Furthermore, the xi is in RWD-only mode at parking lot speeds, so a LSD will really shine in situations like tight, low speed u-turns. The difference will be very noticeable in autocrosses, as well. As Skydive already mentioned, Audi (AWD experts) offers a LSD as a factory option on many of their new models. They're not just doing that for shits and giggles.

Last edited by eclipsor; 09-28-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
LSD + AWD = AWD drifts . Xdrive transfers the power between the front/rear axle. An LSD will transfer side to side. Not important in straight line speed, but will make a huge difference coming out of corners. Ask Ken Block.

OP: I know a member here that had a rear LSD in his 6MT MY09 xi. I believe he had a Wavetrac LSD. In fact, he was selling it, also from DC Metro/NOVA area. If you have a bolted 6MT, you might be in luck since he was selling it at a great price. PM member scheherazade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400584

Good luck!
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Not knocking you, just curious - will putting an LSD in the back of the xi confuse DSC at all? Or is it pretty seemless?
      09-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
eclipsor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
OP: I know a member here that had a rear LSD in his 6MT MY09 xi. I believe he had a Wavetrac LSD. In fact, he was selling it, also from DC Metro/NOVA area. If you have a bolted 6MT, you might be in luck since he was selling it at a great price. PM member scheherazade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400584

Good luck!
Wow! I really appreciate the information dannie!!! I need some good luck right about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Not knocking you, just curious - will putting an LSD in the back of the xi confuse DSC at all? Or is it pretty seemless?
As far as I know, it shouldn't have any negative effects.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

Quote:
I don't think I had any attitude. If anything, I think he was the one with the attitude, saying that he sees no point without adding anything constructive to the thread. I guess he did add that cool emoticon, so... who am I to judge?

Seriously, though, I know how things go on forums with respect to this topic. Every single thread I've ever started on this topic almost instantly spirals into uselessness, with people spewing uneducated opinions as if they were facts. It pisses me off, that's all.

Obviously I can't stop you all from posting what you want to post... I just wanted to actually get some information from this thread instead of being

Edit: I guess I'll just explain it quickly... AWD is not a substitute for an LSD. Obviously, AWD distributes power between the front and rear axles. Both the 335xi and the 335i have an open rear diff. Granted, the computer uses some fancy tricks and applies the brakes when it senses wheel-spin, which sorta makes it feel like a limited slip, but it's faar from an actual LSD. The xi benefits from a LSD almost as much as the 335i does, because it really doesn't have anything to do with the AWD system. Furthermore, the xi is in RWD-only mode at parking lot speeds, so a LSD will really shine in situations like tight, low speed u-turns. The difference will be very noticeable in autocrosses, as well. As Skydive already mentioned, Audi (AWD experts) offers a LSD as a factory option on many of their new models. They're not just doing that for shits and giggles.
Ok thats good info....i wasnt aware that it would make that much of a difference.......so the ass will get out more like a rwd car righhhht?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
And I'm out of warranty, so I'm looking to purchase an aftermarket diff. I want to go with a LSD. Are any of you guys aware of a company that manufactures a LSD for the 335xi? I spoke with someone on this forum over a year ago, and supposedly the rear diffs are the same in the xi as they are in the i? Is this true? Thanks guys.

Edit: I did not intend for this thread to start a debate regarding the merits of LSD+AWD. I just want to figure out where to get an LSD for my car. Thanks guys.
Yes, the rear final drive it the same.

Search for a Quaife on xi, we have done a few of these already.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
Apogee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d/Lancer Evolution X

all those other options are good also try Shepard Racing they are one of the biggest names when it comes to this kind of stuff...will be pricey but the outcome will be a diff stronger and more reliable.
Appreciate 0