E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > UK chat thread

View Poll Results: Should we have a UK sticky chat thread
YES 15 57.69%
NO 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

09-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #23
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Probably some truth in this - if a "newbie" finds us and see's its full of banter between the "regulars" it could put them off if. It's maybe become a bit of a boys club and this can seem off putting to others
I'm not convinced about this. There was banter when I joined, and many others have joined since. It is only an internet forum so people don't need to be shy. It is more active now I'd say than when I first joined - both with serious stuff and humour. With just the serious stuff I think you'd be checking back and finding not much had changed. I happen to think it is a good mix however perhaps I'm biased having been involved in a lot of banter of late. There's a lot to be learned, the meets to attend, and some knowledgable guys around - if people don't want to get involved in that that's up to them.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #24
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Is that what you hope for with your thread starting posts? Like the laptop keyboard saga.. which managed to generate a lot of replies... the last helpful one being from SilverBMWZ3 that you seem to have chosen to ignore, with not so much as a thanks. Did you really spill tea on the keyboard, or was that just another attempt to create some more attention for yourself?
dont be such a cynical old man... im not that immature, and no its not the aim of my posts

I WAS GENUINELY pissed off that i split a drink on my two month old laptop and wanted advice, advice from some members which helped my situation
      09-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #25
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
I'm not convinced about this. There was banter when I joined, and many others have joined since. It is only an internet forum so people don't need to be shy. It is more active now I'd say than when I first joined - both with serious stuff and humour. With just the serious stuff I think you'd be checking back and finding not much had changed. I happen to think it is a good mix however perhaps I'm biased having been involved in a lot of banter of late. There's a lot to be learned, the meets to attend, and some knowledgable guys around - if people don't want to get involved in that that's up to them.
good reply mate
      09-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #26
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
1stnewcar, are you actually one of the Moderators on this site (specifically for the UK forum)?

At the moment a sub-forum exists in the UK forum and is labelled as a classified section. In terms of good thread management and separating out what are relevant car threads from "off-topic banter", could we not try another sub-forum as a test to see how things work out. As an example, what does a thread on weight training have to do with cars, BMW's, driving or anything like that? I could post about 100 off-topic threads asking for opinion, advice or other peoples experiences (what make of 40" LCD TV should I buy), but if we all did this, the point of the main UK forum would then be pretty meaningless.

Anyway, rant over, its far too sunny outside to be indoors typing on here
      09-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
1stnewcar, are you actually one of the Moderators on this site (specifically for the UK forum)?

At the moment a sub-forum exists in the UK forum and is labelled as a classified section. In terms of good thread management and separating out what are relevant car threads from "off-topic banter", could we not try another sub-forum as a test to see how things work out. As an example, what does a thread on weight training have to do with cars, BMW's, driving or anything like that? I could post about 100 off-topic threads asking for opinion, advice or other peoples experiences (what make of 40" LCD TV should I buy), but if we all did this, the point of the main UK forum would then be pretty meaningless.

i do think your being silly, the UK section is not just for cars funnily enough its does not state anywhere, ''discussion must be car relevant only''

its to come and discuss anything

from relationship advice to aftermarktet exhausts on 320d!!:rocks:
      09-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #28
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Where exactly does it state what the UK regional forum is for?
      09-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #29
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
i do think your being silly, the UK section is not just for cars funnily enough its does not state anywhere, ''discussion must be car relevant only''

its to come and discuss anything

from relationship advice to aftermarktet exhausts on 320d!!:rocks:
Carlos> Z4 is right though - if we all posted that stuff it would quickly be nothing about e90s/beemers/cars. Maybe a sub-forum for general chit chat is a good idea?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #30
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Silver, do you need to change your vote from a NO to a YES

Maybe a site wide "Off Topic" forum would be a good idea, if not UK specific?

Apologies, there is one here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Ok, so we just need to justify a UK one!
      09-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #31
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Maybe a site wide "Off Topic" forum would be a good idea, if not UK specific?

Apologies, there is one here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

thing is with something like that, some people end up to double post the same thing, as they find in one forum not many people visit!!

so what your saying is, everything non-car specific must not be in here?
      09-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #32
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

FFS,what they are all getting at Carlos is that the forum doesn't revolve around YOU so shut the F~~K up
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #33
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
FFS,what they are all getting at Carlos is that the forum doesn't revolve around YOU so shut the F~~K up
didnt really derserve that

09-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #34
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
certainly is Gordon, this must be the best day in Scotland for many months!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #35
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
certainly is Gordon, this must be the best day in Scotland for many months!
Pete, , you are not wrong. I think you must have brought the sun with you this morning. Its been quite nice and sunny all day.

So how was the 335d at cruising speeds?
      09-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #36
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

The trip up was very good, until I hit the Glasgow traffic at 0800 this morning! It is a good job that I used Cruise control most of the time because it is incredibly easy to exceed the speed limit by a big margin without even noticing, it is such an effortless drive. 80mph on the speedo and it is barely at 2000rpm! The OBC said 39.7mpg after 200 miles having reset it first thing this morning,which is very respectable.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #37
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Depends what exactly we're voting on ! A separate UK off-topic type area then yes, fine. As long as the banter continues along serious topics also.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #38
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Depends what exactly we're voting on ! A separate UK off-topic type area then yes, fine. As long as the banter continues along serious topics also.
dont think gordon likes the old banter?!
      09-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #39
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Exactly. A uk off topic area/forum/thread.

I'm not a moderator for this board (although with the amount of time I spend on here, I probably should be ), I guess I just like order!!! Let's see what the vote brings.

Think I've lost a few votes though by not being specific enough on my original post.
      09-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #40
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
1stnewcar - I think we are getting somewhere now. I wondered before about having an active UK person (sensible, level headed and fair) as a moderator. I wonder if the site admin(s) would go for this... and you seem like the ideal candidate!
      09-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #41
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
A sticky for an "Inane drivel (UK)" thread would be great.

It'll never stop threads heading off at all sorts of tangents with the usual banter, but as a home for the "look how little I can drink threads" it makes a lot of sense.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #42
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Exactly - nail hitteth upon the headeth
I think a UK chat sub-forum would be useful, if only to stop every piece of sh*te making its way onto the main forum.

Some time ago, before Carlos' time, there were a lot fewer posts & threads started in the UK forum, mainly because of there being fewer UK members & cars around.

Although this seemed less 'entertaining' than it does now, it was a lot easier navigating between threads. Now, however, I think the new threads are getting a little ridiculous, in terms of the the breadth of discussion we're all having. This just makes it a whole lot harder to search for answers to our questions, for those who do actually bother to do a search in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, I do still enjoy posting- it's the 'finding' that's getting to be a pain!

There are a lot more cross-posting between different threads, mainly because there are too many new threads discussing the same general topic.
This would certainly be improved if new members would just be bothered enough to search & search properly.

You don't necessarily have to start a new thread in the UK section, just because you can't find any information about 'flashlights' (I know you wouldn't do that- I'm just giving an example, ok!)- you could search for 'torch' or you could search the entire forum, have a look at the threads that come up in other sections of the main forum (eg technical sub-forums) & then search the UK forum, based on what you've read in the other searched threads.

The most irritating thing for me, is the fact that a lot of new, pointless threads could be avoided, if members could just be bothered to do a little searching first & then posting appropriately- eg runflat tyres- there are already a lot of threads, not just in the UK section, about problems trying to get hold of new tyres- I know, because I've spoken to those who asked the questions in the first place, face-to-face!

The members lounge, in the main e90post forum, is pretty much over run with posts from our US neighbours, so it would be more sensible having a UK version of it.

That's my opinion & I'm sticking to it.

If anyone thinks I'm talking complete sh*te, then I'll get the 'Brothers' out- Gordon & Sergei, & they will speak to you on my behalf!

I do regularly speak to the forum admins, Mark & Jason, & they are quite approachable with regards to making things easier for us to use the forum & making improvements for everyone's benefit. So, I'll have a word with them, if there's anything you'd like 'sorting' on here, other than Carloss, ok!

As for having a UK moderator, I've spoken to the admins about it & they're planning on having admins on each of the local forums, with the help of members in each locality around the world.
I've told them I'd be happy to 'kick a few UK members up the ar*e' & they seem to think I'd make a suitable candidate for the job!

So, watch what you say to me, from now on, ok!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #43
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I am very much in favour of this Viv, Sir.

I think there are a few UK members suitable for the role of moderator, and hopefully it won't take huge amounts of time doing the thread admin stuff. I also understand that its possible to 'split' a thread, so that if it does appear to be going off topic, then it can be created as a new separate topic, and put in the "off topic" UK forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
As for having a UK moderator, I've spoken to the admins about it & they're planning on having admins on each of the local forums, with the help of members in each locality around the world.
I've told them I'd be happy to 'kick a few UK members up the ar*e' & they seem to think I'd make a suitable candidate for the job!

So, watch what you say to me, from now on, ok!

All the best.

Viv
      09-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #44
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
I am very much in favour of this Viv, Sir.

I think there are a few UK members suitable for the role of moderator, and hopefully it won't take huge amounts of time doing the thread admin stuff. I also understand that its possible to 'split' a thread, so that if it does appear to be going off topic, then it can be created as a new separate topic, and put in the "off topic" UK forum.
Glad to hear it, Gordon.

The admins are there to minimise 'problems' in relation to verbal abuse etc & also to make sure posts are relevant to the original post, whatever that might be.

I think we now have the record for the greatest ratio of threads going completely off-topic- nice work boys & girls (if there are any around)!

Viv

BTW Gordon- calling me 'Sir' will get you very far on here!

Appreciate 0