E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Active Cruise Control

11-16-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
petefalzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E90

Active Cruise Control

Does anyone have an opinion on active cruise? It feels a bit superfluous to me and perhaps a bit dangerous, but since I don't have it on my car I have not experienced it first hand.
      11-16-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
SMBowen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E63M

I think it is awesome!!!! and it was a lot of fun to test out the limits, haha

Not to useful if you are not on the freeway a lot. But I think it is actually safer for freeway driving.

-sm

06-E90 330i - Totaled 30 Sept 10
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 02:26 AM   #3
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

I think it is one of the best options I got, notwithstanding it is broke at the moment (See this thread for details )

I would recommend that anyone who does a lot of highway or medium density driving gets it, or lives in an area with over zealous law enforcement like we have, where it is a good idea to drive with cruise on to ensure you don't get snapped by speed cameras. Because of this I use cruise all the time in known radar areas, and the Active Cruise makes my life easier because when I come upon a slower car it isn't as irritating because the car adjusts it's speed automatically, allowing me to concentrate on the actual driving.
      11-17-2005, 05:56 AM   #4
bluesea
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/E90 330i

One added benefit is that the automatic slowing of the car alerted me way in advance of me gaining on a car up ahead while I was fiddling with the i-drive. I wasn't in any danger of causing an accident but it did act as a second set of eyes I realized. A nice safety benefit. Once I thought I heard an audible beep when the rate of closure was high after a car pulled in front of me but maybe it was a coincidence with something else.

If you use cruise control, this is a must have.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 06:39 AM   #5
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesea
One added benefit is that the automatic slowing of the car alerted me way in advance of me gaining on a car up ahead while I was fiddling with the i-drive

Once I thought I heard an audible beep when the rate of closure was high after a car pulled in front of me but maybe it was a coincidence with something else.

If you use cruise control, this is a must have.

Yes, you would have heard a beep, and the pic of the car in your dash would have gone red and flashed. It does this if it needs more than 1/3 of the braking force of the car to keep you the preset distance from the car in front.

On the safety note, I think that it is also good when you feel the brakes because the person in front has eased off the accelerator and is costing to a slower speed, but you haven't seen brake lights because they aren't using them. Lets you know in advance what is going on.

It certainly takes a lot of fatigue out of distance driving, and that has to be a safety benefit too.
      11-17-2005, 07:40 AM   #6
Will L.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [7.00]
I think mine is a key safety feature. If set to the farthest following distance, it keeps a much more consistent and longer following distance than I normally would.

I've never had cruise control before, and part of the reason is it seems to be more trouble than it's worth in most situations.

The active cruise allows me to maintain consistent speeds with less aggressive braking and accelerating than I would normally use myself. It matches the flow of traffic and keeps a safe following distance which is more important to safety than speed IMHO.

As long as I have the patience to let the AC do its thing, and I still pay attention, I think I'm a much safer driver with it than without.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
petefalzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E90

Interesting perspectives. Thanks.
      11-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I am not a big fan of the idea but haven't tried it so I don't know how it actually is.

Do you guys think it will be something standard in the future?
      11-18-2005, 01:35 AM   #9
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz
Do you guys think it will be something standard in the future?

INHO - for sure. Just look at what MB has done by adding more smarts and sensors, their system is a crash avoidance system and will come to a complete halt and then take off again if the car in front stops.

The MB system calculates the distance to the object in front, the closing speed and the current braking capacity, it aims to not allow you to out drive it. Apparently if you drive it at a brick wall it will stop just before it hits.

Sounds pretty clever to me, and will be on the just released S Class, so will trickle down soon enough.

I think systems like this are the only way we will cope with road congestion in the future as it will allow cars to track more closely behind each other in safety.
      11-18-2005, 05:13 AM   #10
Will L.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA
INHO - for sure. Just look at what MB has done by adding more smarts and sensors, their system is a crash avoidance system and will come to a complete halt and then take off again if the car in front stops.

The MB system calculates the distance to the object in front, the closing speed and the current braking capacity, it aims to not allow you to out drive it. Apparently if you drive it at a brick wall it will stop just before it hits.

Sounds pretty clever to me, and will be on the just released S Class, so will trickle down soon enough.

I think systems like this are the only way we will cope with road congestion in the future as it will allow cars to track more closely behind each other in safety.
I agree. Advanced computing power combined with increased "drive-by-wire" have started a new revolution.

20 years ago people were talking about cars that drove themselves, and I even remember some demonstration vehicles that did just that with the help of imbedded road sensors. The problem with that is it would have required huge infrastructure investment - which no-one would have done before the cars existed and manufacturers wouldn't make the cars until infrastructure existed.

Now Infiniti has a "Lane Departure Warning" system that works just on lane markers and other cars. Combine an advanced version of that with an advanced version of the active cruise control we've got and you've got your self-driving car without the infrastructure. In fact, GM is already working on it:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107011

Now combine that with a good GPS system and some bluetooth interactivity between cars and you hop in your car, punch a few buttons and take a nap.

Is this a good thing? I think most BMW drivers enjoy driving enough to be a little put off by the idea. I know I'd prefer to have the winding back roads to myself . . . but I'd be happy to turn the congested highway driving over to the computer.

Will it be safe? I think with enough work and fear of liability it can be made nearly foolproof, and as much as we might distrust computers, which would you rather trust with your life: A computer with multiple safety checks, or a drunk 70 year old man making his way home from his retirement party who might just swerve into your lane?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
SMBowen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E63M

Ok I have already said I like my ACC, but I have a new found love for it. Only two words, Road Head!

-sm

06-E90 330i - Totaled 30 Sept 10
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBowen
Ok I have already said I like my ACC, but I have a new found love for it. Only two words, Road Head!

-sm

LOL, I will give that a go, if I can find a willing participant.
      12-17-2005, 06:40 AM   #13
Helmar
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi, Barrique red

Thumbs up Great on my LS430

I just ordered a 330xi (manual transmission, barrique red), and one REQUIREMENT was that it offered active cruise control.

I currently drive a Lexus LS430 and use the Laser cruise control most of the time.

When I test drove the 330xi, I loved driving it hard, keeping the revs up, thrashing it around the curves, the exhilaration...... But face it, most of the time you're driving with other cars in front of you, miles and miles of straight line driving. This is where the active cruise control makes the ride much more relaxing and enjoyable.

An earlier comment was very important. When your attention is diverted while tuning the radio, using the navigation system, etc, the active cruise control will automatically slow you down if you start approaching the vehicle in front of you.

The down side of this, of course, is that you feel more comfortable with your attention diverted, which probabily isn't a good thing.

One problem with the Lexus system is that since it's laser driven, inclement weather can obscure the laser and it shuts down. I'm hoping that this is less of an issue with the 330xi radar system.

HBH
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #14
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA

Top Gear showed some footage of this a couple of weeks ago. A German program setup a test with Mercedes, in fog. The weather was foggy (just the sort of conditions where you might need the system).

The S stood on the brakes while you still couldn't see a thing through the windscreen........ the taillights of another S appeared through the fog and there was a load BANG as the test car rear ended the stationary one .

Seriously embarassing for MB, but the system did prevent a more serious accident.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #15
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

I wish I had it and do expect that it will become standard in high-end cars but I thought it was funny when I was test driving. I mentioned it to the salesmen as an option I was interested in, and he looked at me almost to adminish me and said "but could you trust it to stop the car?"

With BMW sales people giving it such a ringing endorsement, I guess it has a ways to go before it becomes standard.

I use cruise control a lot on this car -- it is such a great design that it is so easy to turn it on and off or increment the speed. It would have been nice to get the active CC.
      12-17-2005, 11:08 AM   #16
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I'd love to have it! Too rich for my blood at $2,000 though. I can touch the stalk a lot of times for that kind of scratch!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #17
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Talking

I broke the bank and got it, and although I'm not using it a lot right now, I'm happy I got it. I works great!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #18
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBurner
Top Gear showed some footage of this a couple of weeks ago. A German program setup a test with Mercedes, in fog. The weather was foggy (just the sort of conditions where you might need the system).

The S stood on the brakes while you still couldn't see a thing through the windscreen........ the taillights of another S appeared through the fog and there was a load BANG as the test car rear ended the stationary one .

Seriously embarassing for MB, but the system did prevent a more serious accident.
The whole thing was faked. The MB system works very well & even won awards from Popular Science.

The reported demo pile-up Nov 16:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/11/...3-car-pile-up/
http://www.askaprice.com/torque-arti...ation&item=669

News it was faked due to an overzealous auto journalist Nov 28:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/11/...sco-was-faked/
http://www.automotorsport.se/nyhetsm...?version=26748

Video of entire incident published Dec 2:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/...ronic-pile-up/

I wonder if Michael Specht is still employed by Autobild magazine? After reading the articles and viewing the full footage it seems the reputation of the magazine is greatly diminished with tactics employed by one of their journalists. If I was the Autobild publisher I would distance myself from this "journalist" who convinces people to fake demonstrations so they can get a scope... albeit a fake scope. How can we trust what Autobild prints if they are active participants in faking the news they report?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 05:06 PM   #19
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Cheers 3aficionado, I hadn't seen the clarification, and I bet that the BBC don't mention it - doesn't make for laughs on TV.

I'll bet that the guys who approved the fake are also being hauled over the coals. If they have a system that does work, why not demonstrate it? So what if it has to be done outdoors. Equally if the system is confused by the building structure, what of situations in tunnels that have large amounts of steel reinforcing in them? Presumably in those situations the car would see too many returns and think it was about to crash and stop.... as if it were afraid of the dark.

All these new systems are great at reducing the chance of accidents. Actual crash safety is great, but it's even better if you can prevent an accident happening in the first place. As in the past the prestige car manufacturers are trying to out-do each other and coming up with great inventions (active cruise, infra-red vision etc) that hopefully will evolve like airbags and ABS, spreading to all cars and giving greater safety to us all. At the moment though the prices are steep, and unless you do a lot of motorway miles, or have deep pockets it's difficult to justify the cost. Personally if the cost were similar I would go for a night vision system (when available) as I drive at night more often than not looking where I'm going.

If as bluesea notes i-drive is distracting enough that the active cruise is sometimes needed it would suggest that active cruise should be fitted as standard .... but that's a whole other discussion.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #20
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
OilBurner, you bring up good points. The reasons why the demo was faked proves there is a need for further development before the MB system goes into use.

It was funny how all these news outlets reported on the MB crash but almost none of them followed up when the truth came out. I guess news agencies are more interested in the exciting stories when something fails and not in the overall truth.

I’m just glad companies like MB are out there creating all these safety features. If it wasn’t for MB may not have ABS, ESP(DSC/DTC for BMW), Airbags, Keyless Go (CA for BMW), Parktronic (PDC for BMW) and Distronic (Active Cruise Control for BMW). Okay, not all of those are safety features, but neither is active cruise control. Its a convenience feature.
Appreciate 0