BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1 fails IIHS pedestrian crash test

02-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #23
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
It stopped the car completely for you?
What year model is your i3?
2015 and 2018. Both are equipped with the Collision Avoidance system.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #24
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Do drivers mash their throttle when they see pedestrian on a crosswalk? I remember learning about this pedal in the middle by the driver's foot well that can be used to rapidly decelerate a vehicle down to a complete stop once applied.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-12-2019, 02:45 AM   #25
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
It stopped the car completely for you?
What year model is your i3?
I know specs vary by country but I would check that the the complete stop was not due to “city traffic package” rather than frontal collision. My understanding from car technical literature is the frontal collision avoidance system braking is only 1.5 secs max and designed to slow car (and give driver warning and extra time to react) rather than bring car to a stop. However, you are discussing i3 not the X1 (which has cheaper less efficient version of most driver assistance functions). As this is an F48 forum, I mention that for EU/U.K spec X1, I would be very surprised if frontal collision brought car to a complete stop (BMW say it will not, it will just start slowing and reduce impact speed. So am surprised) but would appreciate seeing is it does so on US spec F48 cars , i3 or indeed other BMW models.

In the EU, they have just voted to make the auto braking system compulsory (2022) it will be used to enforce traffic speed limits. I can only hope to have been released from imprisonment before then.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-12-2019 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:57 AM   #26
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

QUOTE MJE60 'In the EU, they have just voted to make the auto braking system compulsory (2022) it will be used to enforce traffic speed limits. I can only hope to have been released from imprisonment before then.'

I don't think the auto braking/anti-collision systems could be used to enforce speed limits, as that will be an aspect of the proposed mandatory speed limiter, a version of which is already installed on (F48) X1s.
And you may not wish to build up your hopes about being 'released from imprisonment before then' because, despite whatever may happen with Brexit, the UK Govt has already said that the UK will adopt all EU vehicle safety directives, in or out of the EU. Unless you meant to indicate something else with what I quoted above. My apologies if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:11 AM   #27
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
QUOTE MJE60 'In the EU, they have just voted to make the auto braking system compulsory (2022) it will be used to enforce traffic speed limits. I can only hope to have been released from imprisonment before then.'

I don't think the auto braking/anti-collision systems could be used to enforce speed limits, as that will be an aspect of the proposed mandatory speed limiter, a version of which is already installed on (F48) X1s.
And you may not wish to build up your hopes about being 'released from imprisonment before then' because, despite whatever may happen with Brexit, the UK Govt has already said that the UK will adopt all EU vehicle safety directives, in or out of the EU. Unless you meant to indicate something else with what I quoted above. My apologies if that's the case.
I have no wish to argue or challenge others who may be better informed on the exact technical means that the system will be enforced. I read the systems will be required to apply braking function, hence my use of term auto-braking. I have read my post several times and cannot see where I said the anti-collision system would be used, apologies if I implied it did. I accept it is the main thread topic. The system will most likely use GPs and mapping information supplemented by Kafas camera to read signage (both systems already used by BMW and other manufacturers) to identify “excess” speed. The directive then allows a warning, followed by braking (similar/identical to functions currently build into driver assistance/assistant). Perhaps it is a topic on which to open a new thread?
With regard to the U.K following ALL EU vehicle safety directives, thank you for sharing the disappointing news ( I fully accept 99.9% are hugely beneficial).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #28
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Great, more electronic nanny.

Introducing the new 2040 BMW XiBot, the Ultimate Driverless Machine.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #29
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Do drivers mash their throttle when they see pedestrian on a crosswalk? I remember learning about this pedal in the middle by the driver's foot well that can be used to rapidly decelerate a vehicle down to a complete stop once applied.
The problem is most drivers are smartphone zombies now. They can't even walk without bumping in to a light pole.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #30
augkor
Rep
Drives: No BMW Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00max00 View Post
The problem is most drivers are smartphone zombies now. They can't even walk without bumping in to a light pole.
I agree that the driver is in charge and should be paying attention. However, I am disappointed that BMW dumbs down their safety systems in the X1. Volvo seems to have a different philosophy. They have the same safety system regardless of whether you are purchasing an XC40 or an XC90. Seems to me, if you want to purchase the safety system it should be the same regardless of the level of the car. I currently drive an X1, which I really enjoy. However, I would prefer to be able to purchase my next X1 with the same safety system that is installed on the X3 or X5. You can argue that you don't want that kind of system installed in any car, but once you have it in a car, it seems like it would only make sense to have the same system in the car regardless of whether it is the high end or low end. I would prefer to get the same safety features and then buy the extra luxury features (or larger size vehicle) if that is what I am interested in driving.
Appreciate 0