E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > H&R Springs Install DIY (finally)

04-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #177
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
What tool is that in the red box. Didnt see it used.
I had two different kinds of spring compressors (I actaully have three different kinds), nad only used the one that you see me using. Good to see this thread still getting use after so many years!! I'm 4 BMWs past this car, at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #178
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I had two different kinds of spring compressors (I actaully have three different kinds), nad only used the one that you see me using. Good to see this thread still getting use after so many years!! I'm 4 BMWs past this car, at this point.
Lol ya man, thanks for the diy. I tried getting rid of the car. I couldnt do it. I love this thing. Even though at times i wantto deive it off a cliff. And having no car payment is nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 12:31 AM   #179
M4 AJG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M4 Comp

would this work with a '11 e90?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #180
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Should do this setup or kw v1? Please help me deciede. What are pros and cons?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 12:49 AM   #181
Gunner_27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5 (4.8is)

I am doing H&R on my 335xi right now, so I have a few questions on the rear

Do we re use the lower rubber spring purge ?

Does the rear ajustble spring purge sit on top (near the body ) or on the bottom ( near the lower spring purge ) ?

Cant seem to figure this out in any of the DYI

Help....
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #182
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner_27 View Post
I am doing H&R on my 335xi right now, so I have a few questions on the rear

Do we re use the lower rubber spring purge ?

Does the rear ajustble spring purge sit on top (near the body ) or on the bottom ( near the lower spring purge ) ?

Cant seem to figure this out in any of the DYI

Help....
You remove the stock upper metal cup/perch that houses the upper rubber spring bushing. The H&R adjustable threaded piece fits into the receptacle created by removing that upper metal cup/perch. You keep the lower rubber bushing for the H&R spring to sit it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #183
Gunner_27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5 (4.8is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
You remove the stock upper metal cup/perch that houses the upper rubber spring bushing. The H&R adjustable threaded piece fits into the receptacle created by removing that upper metal cup/perch. You keep the lower rubber bushing for the H&R spring to sit it.
Thanks I think i got this, appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #184
zort
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Just completed this mod using Eibachs on a 07 335i base model From Canada. Did springs only as my struts were new so will wait it out.

There is lot of info out there but this was the best write up. Feel free to pm me with any questions at all.

Couple notes
In the front
No need to remove the bolt holding the shock base , just unclip the brakes lines from the bracket and from the square casing.

In the back you need to loosen the other end of the control arm.

-b
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #185
sofgwhat
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Used this post for the first time this past weekend, of course I did it outside on the hottest day of the year. 

For the rears I only had to remove the outer bolt, sway bay link and that pesky headlight sensor. Both sides took a little over two hours, I only have one hydraulic jack so I had to screw with jack stand placement.

For the fronts I decided to remove the entire strut which turned out to be very simple, I was worried about scratching the fender and I think it would have been a pain to change out the spring while the strut was still in the knuckle. Much easier working on the strut/spring while it was on the bench. I already had koni struts that came with the car, a little PB blast and those suckers slid right out. For the record, I only removed the sway bar link, cinch bolt that holds the strut, control arm bolt and the top three strut nuts (oh and the front headlight adjuster can be removed by unclipping, the rears had a 10mm bolt that seemed to go on forever). I did compress the springs before I remove the strut. I found if you unbolted everything, it was easier to access the strut and manipulate the spring compressors. Fronts took about 3 hours but with lots of breaks since I started out in the shade for the rears but ended up in the sun when it came time to do the fronts.

Thanks for the great post and all of the contributors.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #186
emdubya
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quick note to save everyone from getting hung up on the inside or outside bolt debate for the rear control arm. YOU CANNOT get the control arm to swing down with enough clearance by removing the outer bolt IF THE PARKING BRAKE IS ENGAGED. After driving myself crazy over what I was doing wrong I lucked out on a google search and found a post pointing this out. Sure enough, as soon as I disengaged the parking brake the arm swung down and the spring came out. Should be added to all suspension DIYs.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #187
mifesto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

"Place the jack back under the control arm and jack it up enough to get the bolt (that you removed in step 6) started back in the control arm mount. You'll notice that the control arm is twisted, adn you can't get it to come out the other side. Thanks ok. Lower the jack, and place the block of wood on the jack so you can align the other side of the control arm mount. Tap the bolt in the rest of the way, and tighten. "

so I have this same problem. I cant get the control arm back in because it twists when you jack it back up (unable to get the bolt back into the hub bushings). placing a wood on jackpad is all you need to prevent the twist??? its hard to believe. anyone know what he means by that?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #188
Lira205
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i 6spd

Garage List
2008 bmw 335i  [5.00]
I'm also having trouble lining everything up to reinstall the bolt on the rear. I'm gonna try the piece of wood on top of jack pad in the morning. It somewhat makes sense.
Appreciate 0