E90Post
 


European Auto Source (EAS)
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Question on what to do next



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
Pinscher
First Lieutenant
Canada
66
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Question on what to do next

Hi Fellas,

For my first time I've cut polished my car with 3m Perfect-It rubbing compound labeled as dealing with 1200p or finer scratches.

The results are less than I expected (picture attached).

From here do I:

1) Do it again and push harder
2) polish with 800 or 900p rubbing compound?
3) polish with 1900p compound?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
BdSM n54iS
Colonel
BdSM n54iS's Avatar
United_States
1374
Rep
2,416
Posts

Drives: In front of flashing lights
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pulled over on the side of the road

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
Hi Fellas,

For my first time I've cut polished my car with 3m Perfect-It rubbing compound labeled as dealing with 1200p or finer scratches.

The results are less than I expected (picture attached).

From here do I:

1) Do it again and push harder
2) polish with 800 or 900p rubbing compound?
3) polish with 1900p compound?
What tools are you using? Looks like you're doing it by hand?
__________________
'11 335is MT BSM/Black | NAV | Premium | Convenience | Cold | HK | MHD | Cobb FMIC | Cobb CP | Cobb DP | aFe stage 2 SI | TurboSmart Dual Ports | BMS OCC | RB PCV Valve | Suspension Shit | Turner Spacers | Michelin PSS | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Front Lip | BMW Performance ///M Wheel | Sprint Booster | remoteKEY+
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
dmatre
Lieutenant
United_States
116
Rep
486
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Carolinas

iTrader: (0)

+1. Get an orbital or dual-action polisher and have at it again.

You simply CAN'T get the same results by hand that you get with a polisher.

As long as you stay away from rotary polishers, you won't be creating problems while trying to fix them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Pinscher
First Lieutenant
Canada
66
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
That's sad that you think i did it by hand, i only have a drill and i was using a Maguiar's dual action adapter. This one to be exact.



So to confirm, you guys think it's best to just do it again, but with a better polisher? Can i ask what colour sponge polish pad should i use?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
Rival
Captain
47
Rep
783
Posts

Drives: 95 z28
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: shytown

iTrader: (0)

you need a porter cable, flex, or the harbor freight DA polisher.

Id sand things with 2500 grit or 3k paper, wetsand and then buff out....

But if your using a drill w a pad this may be beyond you.

So get a DA, use an orange or yellow pad, 1200 grit/1500 grit compound,(like m105/m205.....Heavy cut followed by fine cut....IDK what that is for 3M) and then you LSP
__________________
2010 335i M sport
2008 328i
2006 325i
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
512
Rep
2,718
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.25]
op,if you are new to detailing,dont try on your car, go to pro detailer and get the car detailed.

save yourself from headaches, wasting money and time and going through frustration
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Colonel
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
554
Rep
2,519
Posts

Drives: 2011 335is 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rival View Post
you need a porter cable, flex, or the harbor freight DA polisher.

Id sand things with 2500 grit or 3k paper, wetsand and then buff out....

But if your using a drill w a pad this may be beyond you.

So get a DA, use an orange or yellow pad, 1200 grit/1500 grit compound,(like m105/m205.....Heavy cut followed by fine cut....IDK what that is for 3M) and then you LSP
Yikes, don't sand things down for something likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
op,if you are new to detailing,dont try on your car, go to pro detailer and get the car detailed.

save yourself from headaches, wasting money and time and going through frustration
If you have time to learn it's worth it. A full car polish/compound is goign to be like 500$+
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #8
Pinscher
First Lieutenant
Canada
66
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yes.

I'm fine to spend the time for sure. It is my car after all, why pay someone to work on it so single things.

Ill buy a dual action for 1/4 the price of paying someone else to do the job and try again with my 1200p compound as suggested above.

Thanks everyone
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
Chris90E
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

I'd use a machine polisher and a good cutting pad, take your time and you should get good results
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #10
=C=
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
37
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: land of the long white cloud

iTrader: (0)

This is a great video with lots of good information.



Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
Pinscher
First Lieutenant
Canada
66
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thanks, i've watched a bunch and i jut decided to buy an orbital polisher for like $75 from ebay. It works great!

Since this thread started I don't even own that car anymore, now I have a silver (very forgiving colour) 335 that I proceeded to polish.

honestly, I think I'm not pushing hard enough, but it's my first time doing this stuff so it's better to take things slow.

Anyhow, this thread is done so thanks for everyone who responded as it saved me a bunch of time and there is no need for anyone to chip in anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
AshMobes
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: E90 320d
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

The tool you have is a waste of time, you can get a cheap DA from Argos (I think it's around 55) that will be more than enough for what you need it for. The rubbing compound you are using isn't that great, I'd recommend Menzerna FG400 for the compound stage followed by Meguires M205 for polishing. A compound will need to be followed up by a less aggressive polish for optimum results. It's not a quick process but 100% worth it.

As stated above watch some of AmmoNYC videos on YouTube for the basics
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #13
Pinscher
First Lieutenant
Canada
66
Rep
365
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshMobes View Post
The tool you have is a waste of time, you can get a cheap DA from Argos (I think it's around 55) that will be more than enough for what you need it for. The rubbing compound you are using isn't that great, I'd recommend Menzerna FG400 for the compound stage followed by Meguires M205 for polishing. A compound will need to be followed up by a less aggressive polish for optimum results. It's not a quick process but 100% worth it.

As stated above watch some of AmmoNYC videos on YouTube for the basics


I think you're referring to the drill adapter. yes it's stupid ass, isn't it. I upgraded.

thanks for the suggestion on Menzerna FG400 for the compound stage followed by Meguires M205.

I can get 3M compounds at cost. Maybe I'll just get a rougher grade of that brand?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST