E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Oil Leak, Need Help Deciding

02-14-2019, 04:53 AM   #1
xSPEAR
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Engine Oil Leak, Need Help Deciding

Hello,

I have a e93 328i. Recently it started leaking oil from the left side of the engine. I took it into the garage and they said its the valve cover ut leaking oil. Its not cracked, he told me something called Breeder is leaking the oil ( Im not sure if thats the name in English "breeder". So I had plenty of suggestion to replace new for 450$ or used for 150-200$ or buy a new one manufactured in Taiwan for 200$. After sitting with a friend he said theres a new seal/rubber that can be fixed into the breeder or whatever part of the valve it is and it would stop leaking rather than fully buying a new one. (PS: my engine has whistle sound when driving from this leak.)

I attached the valve part im talking about that is leaking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:31 AM   #2
PhaseP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Oil leak at left side of engine is from aging valve cover gasket. The whistle sound is from the "breather" part on the valve cover not functioning correctly due to dirt and age, more accurate known as crank case ventilation valve.

To stop leak you need to replace the valve cover seal, plus two more seals on it: the seal on valvetronic motor and the eccentric shaft connector seal.

To stop the whistle you either need to replace the valve cover with new, not used one because used one can also have the same problem. Or do some cutting and surgery on existing valve cover to replace the diaphragm on the breather valve.

If you can afford it, I would suggest getting a new OEM valve cover (not used) which comes with the new seals already on it. Those valve covers are prone to cracking too by age and then leak that way as well.
How long you want to keep the car also can factor in how much you want to spend and if you would take chance with non OEM valve over.
Appreciate 1
xSPEAR1.50

02-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
nsjames
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I rolled the dice on the URO valve cover.

still going strong after a few months. It looked just like the OE one.

It was $250US.
Appreciate 1
xSPEAR1.50