E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Overheating? Dreaded Water Pump???

02-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
SG06E90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i 6SPD

Overheating? Dreaded Water Pump???

Hey all,

Today has been quite the day of issues for me. Once I left work my car locked the steering wheel and refused to start, I had to disconnect the battery let it sit, reconnect, and have a friend of mine jump my car. Once we finally got it I drove home and now I have an overheating message. I let the car sit for a little while then checked the coolant level which was a little low and topped it off. I tried driving it around lightly with the temperature gauge in the hidden service menu where I watched it slowly climb from 85 degrees celsius until it hit 120, where I get the yellow overheating warning, and once it got to 125, I get the red message, luckly I was right out front my house and coasted back. The car is also running the engine fan really loud like a hot summer day. It was roughly 50-60 degrees today and I was only lightly driving. Do these all sound like symptoms of a failing water pump? This only started after I had the dead battery and steering lock problem. Is there a chance this is from the dead battery causing a false sensor to read incorrectly? I Just clicked over 155k and I think I'm on the original pump. Any insight would be great because I'm currently deeming my car undriveable.
      02-14-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

I mean, only alllll the obvious signs you've witnessed point to that being correct...

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:47 AM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Sounds like your water pump. I’d say to check for codes, but it almost seems redundant.
      02-14-2019, 02:15 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG06E90 View Post
...now I have an overheating message. I let the car sit for a little while then checked the coolant level which was a little low and topped it off. I tried driving it around lightly with the temperature gauge in the hidden service menu where I watched it slowly climb from 85 degrees celsius until it hit 120, where I get the yellow overheating warning, and once it got to 125, I get the red message, luckly I was right out front my house and coasted back. The car is also running the engine fan really loud like a hot summer day.
The symptoms you describe are those of the Coolant Pump NOT running at all. The only question is WHY is it NOT running? The only thing I can think of that is battery-related is that if the BSD bus is shorted (IBS connector above negative battery terminal), that can prevent the DME from sending the run signal to the pump, OR you might have blown a fuse somehow in the jumpstart procedure. If you have INPA or ISTA available, it would be worthwhile to check for codes and also to try to activate the pump.

If you do NOT have either, or any other BMW-specific software/scan tool to look for Pump Codes 2E81 through 2E85, then at least try the bleed procedure where with Ignition On, Engine OFF, press accelerator pedal to floor for 10 seconds to see if pump runs per this procedure. Skip ALL the vacuum filling procedure and just do the 10 steps at end of last page:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...check/CNCeB76L

Here's TIS circuit diagram for Pump Circuit on your 2006 325i:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ooling/i7SHdY5

Check fuses F02 & F09, both in the E-box, F02 is the control circuit, and F09 is the Pump Motor Power Supply.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #5
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG06E90 View Post
Hey all,

Today has been quite the day of issues for me. Once I left work my car locked the steering wheel and refused to start, I had to disconnect the battery let it sit, reconnect, and have a friend of mine jump my car. Once we finally got it I drove home and now I have an overheating message. I let the car sit for a little while then checked the coolant level which was a little low and topped it off. I tried driving it around lightly with the temperature gauge in the hidden service menu where I watched it slowly climb from 85 degrees celsius until it hit 120, where I get the yellow overheating warning, and once it got to 125, I get the red message, luckly I was right out front my house and coasted back. The car is also running the engine fan really loud like a hot summer day. It was roughly 50-60 degrees today and I was only lightly driving. Do these all sound like symptoms of a failing water pump? This only started after I had the dead battery and steering lock problem. Is there a chance this is from the dead battery causing a false sensor to read incorrectly? I Just clicked over 155k and I think I'm on the original pump. Any insight would be great because I'm currently deeming my car undriveable.
Put the heat at max at 1 bar; step on the throttle for 10-12 sec with ignition on but engine off. This should turn on the water pump. You will be able hear it run. If you don't hear anything, your water pump is dead.

Even if you hear a water pump, your thermostat is toast.

Regardless, change both.

Do yourself a couple of favors.

1) invest in a code reader

2) get your thermostat, U shaped connector pipe & water pump from FCP Euro. You get a lifetime warranty on all items you buy from them.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
SG06E90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i 6SPD

Update: This morning when I tried to start the car and let it idle to see if the engine would heat too quickly, i had the same thing from yesterday. The car refused to start and would not even crank, I still had some lights on so It wasn't completely dead. Any reason as to why my battery is draining, I made sure no dome lights or parking lights were left on so i'm curious as to why it keeps dying and if it is somehow related to the cooling system.