E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335D Exhaust Fumes in Cabin

12-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #23
huntert
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Having leak number one done myself tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #24
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx.md View Post
There were some signs of pests in the engine bay.

But in this case i believe the rubber just melted and the hot fumes burned all around there

I was able to repair the sensor while replacement on its way, but still have to check as small turbine is not kicking in.
Hey Lexx, looks like you had the same problem Im having. Please describe the way the car runs with this hole... Im assuming low rpm lag like a son of a gun.....lots of exhaust soot....?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 04:01 PM   #25
SoZoX
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

This looks like a very rare case. The soot must be settled in PDF in that fashion that forced exhaust upwards the tube to the pressure sensor. You must have a code and no regens happened as pressure sensor was well non existent . I would definitely get a PDF cleaner and shoot it through the steel tube down to the DPF before mounting new sensor to break up the unlucky "shape" it formed.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #26
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

OH....its not quite that rare....if you do something like......take off the DPF, replace with a downpipe.... and then run the car until soot clogs your SCR catalytic converter....

Then it backs up exhaust and burns out the hose....and completely melts the sensor.....great fun.

I gutted the SCR on Monday and replaced on tues......seems to breathe a bit better today
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #27
RollingCoal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
OH....its not quite that rare....if you do something like......take off the DPF, replace with a downpipe.... and then run the car until soot clogs your SCR catalytic converter....

Then it backs up exhaust and burns out the hose....and completely melts the sensor.....great fun.

I gutted the SCR on Monday and replaced on tues......seems to breathe a bit better today
Glad you got through this, I just got your PM due to upgrading my computer the past 2 days.....enjoy the new power/sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #28
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Bumping an old thread to say this exact issue happened to me yesterday at 85K miles. Stock.

I remembered reading this thread, pulled it up, took a look at the exhaust gas pressure line, and there it was, plain as day. Looks similar to the 2nd photo in post 9 of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #29
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm View Post
Bumping an old thread to say this exact issue happened to me yesterday at 85K miles. Stock.

I remembered reading this thread, pulled it up, took a look at the exhaust gas pressure line, and there it was, plain as day. Looks similar to the 2nd photo in post 9 of this thread.
Sounds like a homemade heat shield is in order. Redneck engineering is wonderful. I will go inspect mine. Heat coming from high press turbo area, perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #30
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Honestly mine appeared to have been melted from the inside. The wall thickness of the tubing in the vicinity of where it burned through was down to almost nothing but the outside of the tubing was intact - I could still read the lettering.

Unlike the photo earlier in the thread mine melted through on the inside of the bend. Photo looks to have melted through on the outside of the bend. Anyway I'm not so sure it's external heat that's the issue.

Bulletproof solution probably involves cutting off the swaged connector from the end of the metal part of the tube and clamping on a section of higher-temp hose.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #31
rpsharman
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335s

Mine too!!

Limited slower driving I think until I get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #32
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsharman View Post
Mine too!!

Limited slower driving I think until I get it fixed.
It should be almost zero miles. That hose will blow exhaust gasses all over your DDE wires. Not worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #33
rpsharman
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335s

Anyone know the torque spec for the banjo bolt? I have the part to install.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #34
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Make sure you undo it on a hot manifold. Don’t know the torque spec but go easy on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #35
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

What Yozh said. Do it on a hot manifold, or hit it with a blow torch for awhile. I had a 2 hour conversation with Yozh in the past because I ended up stripping that bolt because I messed with it on a cold engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #36
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengineer View Post
It's the exhaust gas pressure line... BMW part #13627812806 plus two of the gasket rings #13627811934

I had this same tube blow up. My DPF was on its way out (excessively clogged), and my car wassn't trying to do regenerations again.

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #37
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

i have the slightest hint of exhaust fume in the cabin once in a while. drives me nuts!!

i pulled the egr cooler - i coded out the egr so it never opens anymore. made a plate and gooped the hell out of it with permatex grey and closed up the hole... didn't work. could still smell the exhaust so then reinserted the egr cooler but did not plug up the coolant lines that go in and out of the cooler. could they spew out exhaust fumes??

anyway i made another plate and noticed the egr valve side seemed to be giving off fumes though it makes no sense - i have temporary crank case vent bypass using a 3" x 3" with 1" inside diameter connected to the plastic crankcase vent - my original part was cracked and leaking oil all over the red turbo downpipe. i connected a 5/8" rad/coolant hose that runs the length of the car and comes out next to the exhaust pipe.

so i made a plate 36mm out of aluminum duct work material and covered the egr by the throttle. still getting slight hint of fumes so i gooped the in/out coolant lines of the egr cooler and... ran a 5/8" coolant line might be 1/2"... to close off that loop and seems to have fixed the issue... would there be fumes coming out of the coolant lines and they mix with the coolant... in the egr cooler?

anyway, i still could smell a hint of exhaust fumes coming from above the dpf / pressure converter area. checked the hose and it looks to be intact.

i'm going to plug in the carly and run a good number of dpf regens and will look at the scr.

long story short... is there other areas where fumes could be coming into the engine bay area and sucked into the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #38
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

would the fumes be coming from one of these two hoses? anyone replace these recently? easy / difficult? can it be done with jack stands?

two hoses that come/go to the differential pressure sensor. does anyone have an app that reads these differential pressure? carly or torque or other?

can i replace this part with silicone high heat hose? any idea what is the length and size?

oem from dealer $46 x 2 pc

realoem has em for $8 x 2 pc...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #39
alex sol
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

okay answering my own questions. fixed the exhaust fume problem by plugging the two water inlets on the egr cooler.

differential sensor app solved by dwr

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118429

running good again ....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #40
kwseattle
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
I've been experiencing some similar issues as to the ones discussed in this thread. I've also chat with a few guys experiencing the same.

Exhaust(ish) smell in the cabin immediately upon coming to a stop. Like, within seconds. There's no way it's exhaust coming from behind the car. It smells more like crankcase vapors or burning oil, to me.

My car has EGR/SCR/DPF deleted with a Buzzken downpipe and DUDMD Stage 2 tune.

I've replaced the top side turbo oil line recently, and as far as I am aware the rubber section of the CCV hose has been replaced within the last 30k miles.

I'm returning my charge pipe back to stock, just purchased a used OEM charge pipe and new seals. I installed an "upgraded" charge pipe last year but it is leaking significantly.

I do have a significant oil leak from my oil filter housing, I have a new housing cap on the way for my next oil change and I'm hoping I can halt that leak.

My exhaust gas pressure sensor hose is definitely still intact. It appears that the turbos are dry, so I'm assuming it probably isn't an oil leak at one of the turbo feed lines.

I am running out of ideas to look at. Next on the list for me is probably valve cover gasket, checking the EGR blockoff plate. I have swirlflap delete plates to install as well.

Last edited by kwseattle; 01-07-2019 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #41
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwseattle View Post
I've been experiencing some similar issues as to the ones discussed in this thread. I've also chat with a few guys experiencing the same.

Exhaust(ish) smell in the cabin immediately upon coming to a stop. Like, within seconds. There's no way it's exhaust coming from behind the car. It smells more like crankcase vapors or burning oil, to me.

My car has EGR/SCR/DPF deleted with a Buzzken downpipe and DUDMD Stage 2 tune.

I've replaced the top side turbo oil line recently, and as far as I am aware the rubber section of the CCV hose has been replaced.

I'm returning my charge pipe back to stock, just purchased a used OEM charge pipe and new seals. I installed an "upgraded" charge pipe last year but it is leaking significantly.

I do have a significant oil leak from my oil filter housing, I have a new housing cap on the way for my next oil change and I'm hoping I can halt that leak.

My exhaust gas pressure sensor hose is definitely still intact. It appears that the turbos are dry, so I'm assuming it probably isn't an oil leak at one of the turbo feed lines.

I am running out of ideas to look at. Next on the list for me is probably valve cover gasket, checking the EGR blockoff plate. I have swirlflap delete plates to install as well.
Look for soot...vband clamp at the dpf is another area to check
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #42
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

I have the same problem with the diesel fumes.

The fumes appears to be coming from the turbo area. There is a heat shield covering the turbos, exhaust manifold and DPF filter. I cannot see under it. I removed the front bolt securing the heat shield but I cannot reach the one in the back. Anyone know what I need to do to in order to remove the heat shield on top of engine?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 03:03 AM   #43
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

I just deleted with atm exhaust and dudmd tune and have diesel smell in cabin bad. Checked for leaks had a few at the slip on fittings in back and at the dp Gasket. Replaced dp Gasket and smell decreased but still comes in almost immediately when stopped with the heater on. I lift open hood and can't smell a thing. So confused at this point its driving me mad. Had no problems prior to delete and tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #44
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
I have the same problem with the diesel fumes.

The fumes appears to be coming from the turbo area. There is a heat shield covering the turbos, exhaust manifold and DPF filter. I cannot see under it. I removed the front bolt securing the heat shield but I cannot reach the one in the back. Anyone know what I need to do to in order to remove the heat shield on top of engine?

Thanks
If you've ever removed the vacuum reservoir to do vacuum lines, you have to remove that first. Then I think it's 4 bolts holding the heat shielding in place. Takes some wiggling to get it out. Not at all a hard job unless you haven't replaced vacuum lines. GL